Is WPSmush optimizing images correctly?

When I run Google PageSpeed Insights on louisebay.com, it tells me that I should optimise 8 images. This is the only 'should fix'. I'm trying to figure out if WPSmush has missed these are if I'm getting a false positive from PageSpeed Insights. In its window, it claims to have Smushed everything and saved something like 15mb or more.

In any case, it would be good to know what I can do to improve the image situation and other things that could be slowing down the site. I think page size is around 1.7mb, much too high. Apart from images, not sure what else to do about it.

I've already installed W3TC, Autoptimize, Cloudflare (free) and MaxCDN (trial). CSS is probably not as optimised as it could be because turning it on in Autoptimize breaks the site and both W3TC and CloudFlare can't have Minify on at the same time. CF doesn't combine, so I have too many CSS on the site.

I've read Minit is good, but haven't tried yet. Cloudinary looks good for photos.

• Sajid

Hi @Morgan

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Smushing images with WPSmush Pro plugin will reduce image size only. You have to optimize it though by following the recommendations of Google Page Speed. Some time you can use a smaller image instead of full image by properly cropping and resizing the images.

If you can see it saved 15MB then WPSmush Pro is working just fine. But make sure to check those 8 images whether they were smushed or not. If no then you can smush individual images as well.

As said above you could use different image sizes using add_image_size function. WordPress have pretty cool feature of image sizes and generate images of registered sizes automatically when you upload an image.

For existing images you can try plugin like regenerate thumbnail or force regenerate thumbnails plugin.

I am not much familiar with CloudFlare but W3TC does allows you to minify JS/CSS files.

Lastly more plugins to increase your speed means you are making your site more heavy and slows the speed of your site. So you install minimum plugins, services that are require for your website to function.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Morgan

Hi,
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

The reason I was asking was the page test recommended compressing the image files losslessly. I was wondering why WP Smush apparently missed these out or didn't compress them as much as they could be.

Part of the difficulty with these images is that most are display through features in the theme and there's no easy way to specify the dimensions. Because the theme resizes them responsively, I'm not sure about resizing the files.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.