ISA Membership access level issues

Membership Pro was setup and working perfectly where a user would apply to their user level and get access to that level directly.

Since Mid March anyone applying now defaults to Super User and has access to everything?

To make this more unusual is that the level they apply to shows correctly under the WP > Users but in the Membership > Users are all set with - Subscription = Super User + Membership Level = Super User + No date set for expiry?

No additional plugins have been added. There have been 2 or 3 core WP updates and many if not all the plugins including Membership have been updated at least once if not more.

I have been able to manually add these new members to their correct subscription level but need to be able to get it working so they automatically connect and access their level.

This link attempts to show what is happening: Member level images

Through the site support I have granted access.

• Peter

Hi @Bojan,

Yep, it took some time to get it all working but since then nothing has been changed or edited in the settings. The only changes have been in updating plugins and the core Wordpress which is where I think this break has occurred.

From memory Membership Pro has had 2 updates and User Role at least one update. What is unusual here is that the selected role is correct and showing in the Wordpress users but not in Membership? Usually it difficult to match the user in Wordpress via the User Role Editor from the one selected in Membership?

Regards

Peter

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @Peter,

I've noticed that since after registering an account and using an invite code to add myself into one of the subscriptions my account is not being displayed in the all members tab. I can definitely confirm this on your end and also I've been testing this on my sandbox site and I couldn't recreate it so this is related to your end only.

We'll have to test for plugin/theme conflicts to see if one of them is causing this. You can find more information about the troubleshooting flow on this link here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/.

A place to definitely start should be user role editor, since it is most likely those custom capabilities messing with membership.

Please let me know if you find anything :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Peter!

I suspect User Role Editor, as well. Your default user role has a lot of privileges, via User Role Editor, and I think that's why membership is interpreting them as super users, instead of members of whatever subscription they've joined. They're showing in the right User Role in the Users tab on your WP dashboard, that's not related to their Membership level. Does this make sense?

Can you try deactivating user role editor, or creating a default role with fewer privileges, and see if this resolves it for you?

Thanks!

• Peter

Hi @Michelle,

I set up the user groups in Membership and then matched them in User Role Editor so I could control what the users could do more accurately as I couldn't do this in Membership (would be good if you could).

I had this all working with this setup where a user would register to their level and then match to the roles automatically. Somewhere over the last 3 months with updates this has changed and somehow super user is added as the initial setup for all registrations. Super User was never set and doesn't show on any of the user lists that I can see?

Is super user a level in membership or in User Role Editor? This may be the place to start.

Is it possible to send the developer a copy of membership so he can test or will he have to register it?

Regards

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Peter!

SuperUser is specific to membership, it's the role we give administrators so they're not locked out of the site accidentally. It looks like Membership is interpreting the permissions of your default role as though all registered members of your site with that default role are administrators, rather than the combination of author, editor, and subscriber as the current permissions reflect.

You don't have a default Membership level for users who are not in any other membership, I think this may actually be the key here. It appears you want all users to start out at at least the sport-conveners level, you could make that the default user role and I believe you'll avoid this confusion in the future.

This should bypass the conflict with User Role Editor. There have been pretty big changes to both Membership and User Role Editor in the past several months, a conflict could have popped up somewhere that you didn't experience previously. I get the feeling you are unwilling to test to see if that's the conflict, since we've asked you to test this a few times.

If this doesn't fix it, we'll need to try to disable User Role Editor on your site for you to see if this is where the conflict is so we can try to sort out a different solution to comply with your custom Membership setup here.

Thank you

• Peter

Hi Michelle,

The default membership level was left of as directed in order for subscribers to register and access their registered level and was working. In the meantime it may be good to switch starting level for protection, however this would defeat the testing process?

I have tested all the other plugins late at night to minimise disruption and did find an issue conflicting with the support plugin which I think has now been resolved. Testing on a live site which is being used regularly cannot be done. For this reason I sent through full backups that can be tested on your local drives.

The only custom requirement is to stop members seeing and gaining access through the sidebar to areas they dont need. Membership settings look like this should be able to be done but they didnt hence the addition of the User Role Editor.

To confuse things more it looks like WPMU is moving over to Protected Content which may resolve these issues? If so would I be better off migrating across?

Regards

• Michelle Shull

Hi Peter!

There is an update coming. I can't say a lot, but migrating over to Protected Content may be a good choice. I think it will be much easier to get the result you want here, and I've just done a handful of tests with User Role Editor, and everything is looking good so far. (It's a fairly fresh WP install, with a handful of our plugins, JetPack, and a couple other standard plugins.) Protected Content is respecting the permissions from User Role editor when a new membership level is applied.

Importing may mean you need to reassign your protection levels, but subscription info, members, and levels should all transfer over fine. Membership shortcodes, if you're using them, may also need an update to reflect Protected Content shortcodes. There are more Add Ons for Protected Content than Membership, so you can fine-tune your protection further.

Thanks so much, and I'm available to help with any part of the transfer process you need.

Thanks!

• Peter

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the update. In regards to the update is it for Protected Content or Membership or both?

If Protected content allows us to control what menu items are seen and or accessible then User Role Editor may not be needed. Is this possible?

I will migrate over but need to know what the process is for Migration as I did this originally with both plugins active to import all the settings and users on another site which worked well until I went to test it and now Im locked out of Protected Content? Is there a migration process article?

Regards

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @Peter,

Sorry for the delay on this one :slight_frown:

Yes Protected Content allows you to select different menu items for each membership level with the "Advanced menu protection" add-on which you can find in Protected Content -> Add-ons. Once activated you can find the settings where you can set which menus will be displayed for which level in Protected Content -> Protected Content -> Menu Items.

There is no article for that, the import is pretty straight forward. Use the Import Tool under Settings > Import and select the exported file, preview whats getting imported in and you're set.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @Peter,

The add-on is used to control navigation menu items on the front and their visibility based on level.

Since both plugins are doing the same thing I'd suggest deactivating membership first so you can avoid any conflicts. Either way I'd strongly suggest making a full backup first just in case something goes wrong.

Not sure what you mean by directly sign up, can you explain please?

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey again @Peter,

A quick follow up since I didn't get my coffee by the time I wrote this post this morning :slight_frown: Protected content offers admin menu protection as well. You can use "Admin Side Protection" add-on to limit the access of your members based on membership level in your admin. Once you activate the add on you can setup who has access to which link in Protected Content -> Protected Content -> Admin Side.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Bojan

• Peter

Hi Bojan,

Thats great news as I can then eliminate one plugin which may be causing some of these issues.

In regards to access, I mean can a prospective member sign up to their allocated membership level and then immediately have access to that level and its content or do they have to wait for the administrator to set and approve that member.

Currently with membership Pro I can set the access levels and on the signup page I can show each of those levels with an enrolment form. They then add their email and password and in the past immediately were logged into their correct level. Unfortunately at the moment anyone registering has direct access to super-user.

Regards
    Peter

• Peter

Hi Bojan,

I have just seen that you have the all new membership2 pro? What is going on. I was lead to believe you were phasing out membership and going into Protected Content as the lead membership solution?

So let's start again. For the issues I am having what is the best solution / plugin to work with? What are the pros and cons of these two plugins? Is there a comparison list?

Regards
    Peter

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @Peter,

Sorry but we were not allowed to provide info about the new Membership plugin, I guess with the release of the plugin now we can :slight_smile:

Membership2 is the new, improved version of our Membership and Protected Content plugins, both plugins will effectively be upgraded into the new one. The new plugin is just slightly different than Protected Content so we suggested you that so we can give you a heads up since upgrading from Protected Content -> Membership2 is quite simple and will work as a simple update with nothing much to do while upgrading from Membership -> Membership2 requires additional work.

You can find more information about upgrading from both plugins and the use of Membership2 on the new plugin project page here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#product-usage.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Bojan

• Michelle Shull

Hi Peter!

You can update from either Membership Classic or Protected Content. M2 is more like Protected Content than Membership, so it's a bit smoother at this point to go from Protected Content to Membership2 than it is from Membership Classic to M2, even though that may not be obvious from the plugin names. Both processes are fairly simple, just make sure you have the most recent update of our WPMU DEV dashboard plugin to help facilitate the changeover.

As of right now, LDAP integration is not included, but I've just done some reading on it, I think it sounds like a fine feature request.

Thanks, Peter! Sorry we couldn't share more details about the changeover earlier. We've got pretty stringent guidelines one what we can and can't say about new or updated releases until they're actually released.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Peter,

Hope you're well today, Membership 2, has replaced both Membership and Protected content, which is the big plugin I was talking to you about via email.

LDAP integration will be coming to Membership 2, as it definitely adds a lot of value to the core plugin and opens up it's use to more members.

I've had a discussion with the developer and we're looking at around 2 weeks in total to get this done, though the developer does have other plugins he's currently working on.

All in all, we could be looking at 4 weeks, but maybe quicker. :slight_smile:

When we're getting close, would you be interested in beta testing the integration?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.