issue with custom menu's for logged in users vs not loged in users

i am trying to set up a particular menu where logged in users can see specific pages such as registration page and hide others such as make an appointment, I have tried to use the membership plugin under membership access levels and setting a positive rule to allow one type of user a specific menu structure. This was not working, after searching for another solution i found wpmudev's post here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-show-different-menus-different-users/

that suggested using a different plugin, i installed and activated this and tried to customize it as above separating specific pages for logged in vs not logged in. however it seems only to work for either one or the other and not for what i need. please could you advise on what would be the best way to fix this issue?

• Vaughan

Hi Tom,

What access_level rules did you setup?

For this, If you aren't actually wanting subscriptions, you can create 2 levels.

Visitors level
    Members level

Then make sure you select the visitors level for the stranger setting in membership > options > general

You'll nedd a subscription plan for the membership level.

Then add your members access level to the subscription plan as an indefinite period.

You can then set this as the default plan for registered users.

If you could enable support access, we could take a look at your config for you. See https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Hope this helps

• Tom

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I have set up 3 access levels

two of which are variations of a paid subscription 'members' and the third is a 'Visitor'

i can confirm that the visitor level for stranger setting is currently set to 'visitor' and uses a default subscription of 'site member' - this (ideally would give them access to a different menu where they could signup for a specific kind of membership subscription as well as a appointment.

for the two paid levels
    under positive rules i have initially tried dragging the 'Menu' from Main Rules and selecting the pages/menu's that i would like to show for that access level. i also tried in the 'pages' to include the same thing initially with the "available/blocked after (0 days for immediate) initially set to 0 when had no effect i tried 12 months - would you be able to explain this feature as well?

I have created 3 Subscription plans following the same structure 2 variations of paid membership and 1 default site member to get people just signed up

Ideally non registered users could visit the site and see a subscription page when they click this they are taken to a registration page. after payment the appointments + plugin would be used to book an appointment.

im currently unsure if the wpmudev and other plugin mentioned in my last message may be conflicting or if it is simply an issue in configuration?

Thanks

Tom

• Tom

Hi,

Since the recent updates to the membership plugin i have remove the initial other recommended plugin, to focus only on the membership one.

Now, under 'negative rules' i have set all the pages i don't want the visitor to see using both the 'menu' and the 'pages' options from the right hand side. While this seems to hide some menu items it for some reason does not want to allow me to hide ' Account' and 'Products'

Please could you advise me further?

Thanks

Tom

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

While this seems to hide some menu items it for some reason does not want to allow me to hide ' Account' and 'Products'

Could you please tell me exactly what's the problem you are facing to hide these menu items?

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Tom

Hi Vinod,

Support access is active, i have updated the recent membership plugin,

To clarify the issue.

The site i am trying to produce should have two menu's the first should include the home page, some info pages and the registration page where a visitor can signup to a yearly subscription this is currently done through the membership subscription plans. Once a visitor has logged in or registered they should then be able to see a different menu, this should include: Home, account (details + current subscriptions and ideally access the shopping cart and order status through this same account tab if possible), Make an appointment (using Appointment + Plugin), info pages & have an online shop (products).

The issue i have presently is that when configuring the account types (Members / visitors) using the Access Level rules in the membership plugin. i set a Negative rule for 'pages' & 'Menu' stating which ones should not be aloud per account type.

Now when i click the tick box for 'Account' and 'Products' then click update at the bottom, the page reloads to the previous page and the change i requested do not take effect. I imagine this is the cause of the issue. and the reason why those two pages are still showing up, perhaps there is some kind of setting or required priority for those to pages preventing the changes form taking effect or perhaps a bug in the plugin?

thanks again for your help, i hope we can resolve this

Regards

Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.