Issue with Events and Market Press

We want people to pay for listing an event on our Training Calendar.

We have Events+ and MarketPress set up and organisations can pay for an Event Listing (listed in Products) via Market Press.

The issue?

1. In order to pay for and then list an event (as the software isn't designed to cater to our needs just yet (hint!)), we've had to create and give access to a passworded page with the event entry form on it (using [eab_event_editor] - which doesn't appear to work we just discovered - see comment at end).
https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/training-calendar/enter-your-own-event/

2. To get the page URL and the password: After they pay, they get a downloadable document with these details in them.

3. Our event is $220 per month or part thereof to list. If someone wants to list an event over several months, they CAN"T.

They can only list one option ie only 1 month as the price is per month. (The system won't allow us to list options eg they get to choose the number of months they list for as it only allows one to be selected.)

Is there a way around this or a better way than we have set it up.

Ideally we would like them to nominate the number of months they want AND get the downloadable document which gives them access to the passworded page.

Damn!
ALSO we just discovered that on the passworded page the following code: [eab_event_editor] does NOT show the form. What are we supposed to use here? - is it conflicting with that used by us as Administrators ie you can't have it on more than one page?

Thanks for your advice.

regards,
Karen

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there Karen,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Is there a way around this or a better way than we have set it up.

Ideally we would like them to nominate the number of months they want AND get the downloadable document which gives them access to the passworded page.

I am seeing this is as a total custom work what you are trying to achieve. It will include the modification of the event duration and restrict the user to select up until a month only.

Let me discuss this with our second level support to see if they can suggest something or if we have to go to the Jobs board : https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-custom-development/

I remember suggesting you something like this using Pro Sites where you can set a monthly fees for a user to create their own site and then set it to bill monthly. You can also restrict how many events a user can create on that level.

So it can become easy as if they do not pay at the end of the month, their event site would not work !

ALSO we just discovered that on the passworded page the following code: [eab_event_editor] does NOT show the form. What are we supposed to use here? - is it conflicting with that used by us as Administrators ie you can't have it on more than one page?

First of all, what is the password please ?

Also, did you enable "Front-page editing" addons via Events > Settings > addons and then defined the page under Events >> Settings >> Frontpage Editing

Cheers, PC

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

PC

Thanks - I did have front page editing on - but it seems to wreck the use of it for the administrator as it changes how you use it (and I don't like it when Front page editing is on.

It would be good if the backend way stayed the same and the front end editing showed as it does. I keep getting rid of it as I don't like it. FYI.

I'll turn it back on if that is the only way that shortcode will work. Yuk.

Events01 = P.word.

**I'll get to the first bit after I post this one.

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

PC

I remember suggesting you something like this using Pro Sites where you can set a monthly fees for a user to create their own site and then set it to bill monthly. You can also restrict how many events a user can create on that level.

See the other comments in that stream at: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-you-charge-for-event-listings-using-front-page-editing

**I don't want sub-sites which your suggestion means I end up creating. I just want them to list an event on my site - in MY calendar (which is a one stop shop for all events in my industry - (and instead of having to do it manually, get it to happen automatically).

(a) I need to charge them to list an event and pay for listing per month or part thereof
    (b) If I use Front page editor - unless I password it in some way - they list without paying.
    (c) if I password it - HOW do I get the password to them without doing a downloadable document?
    (d) having a downloadable document prevents them listing more than one month at a time (which is nonsensical).

I can't afford to pay for custom development. I have to find a way to make it operational.

Thanks.

Karen

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there Karen,

Thanks for posting back.

I'll turn it back on if that is the only way that shortcode will work.

That is how its designed so it will have to be turned on to make it working. That addons makes the shortcode process I am afraid.

I will just consult the developer to see if he can help us modify that behavior in the future version of the plugin. He should be around soon.

(a) I need to charge them to list an event and pay for listing per month or part thereof
    (b) If I use Front page editor - unless I password it in some way - they list without paying.
    (c) if I password it - HOW do I get the password to them without doing a downloadable document?
    (d) having a downloadable document prevents them listing more than one month at a time (which is nonsensical).

What you want is something which is not possible without custom code as this feature does not exist into the plugin and will need to be coded in.

Let me see if I can get our Second level support to suggest something here. One of them should be around soon.

Cheers, PC

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Many thanks!

Alternatively is there a way I can give them a message - as they are paying or once they have paid to send me an email so I can then email them the instructions. I want to avoid the manual process but I don't like how that front end editing changes things for the Administrator.

It would be ideal if front page editing ONLY applied to others who use it and the Administrator screen was left as is. FYI.

Thanks again.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Karen,

If you are using MarketPress and want to show them a message, why not include that in highlighted text in the order email that is sent to the user ?

That should send them any instructions you want to show :slight_smile:

Please advise !

Cheers, PC

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

PC

That's what I was thinking...but how do I apply it to just one product?

It is just the event listing product for which I need to give them a pdf (after payment) that has the password to the page and the location of the page.

Is the message for a particular product possible?

Just another thought. I could list the pdf (with that info) on a page so the message gives the page location and has the pdf in it so that the info is accessible AFTER payment...but it still leaves me with only attaching the message to that particular product.

Thanks if you can solve!

regards,
    Karen

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Karen,

Thanks for writing back.

It is just the event listing product for which I need to give them a pdf (after payment) that has the password to the page and the location of the page.

Is the message for a particular product possible?

Unfortunately its not possible for a single product unless you make that product as a digital product and upload that pdf as a digital file.

So a user can make the payment and can download the pdf file and see the password.

That is the only way I can think of. Lets see if the SLS guys can come up with something even better.

Cheers, PC

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

PC

Thanks for this.

Your suggestion is exactly what I tried but you can't have several payment options with a pdf download - that is the issue I found.

I need for clients to select exactly how many months they want to list the event for (ie 1,2,3 etc months).

I also have the option for them to pay for us to list the event for them if they don't want to do it
    (I added this as an option as the setup only allows multiples of eg months not a selection of different objects ie listing for x months AND payment for us to list.)

With downloads, there is only one option.

Perhaps your Events+ developers might be interested in adding these options (more than one item can be selected AND a downloadable pdf instruction sheet (which is NOT the product they are buying, it helps them with the buying process ie is information about how to list the event).

Overall, there needs to be a way for Events to be entered - and PAID - by others to list.

Thanks
    Karen

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Ari

Because the instructions would have a password in them to access a passworded page (ie as events+ doesn't allow payment, I need to work around that by having a page they can enter events AFTER they have paid for them).

After payment, they get the instructions with the password that unlocks the page to enter the data.

(Of course that allows them to list a number of events - but that is something I would have to watch until the Events+ plug in allowed paid events to be listed. :slight_smile:

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.
    Karen

• Saurabh
    • New Recruit

Howdy Karen,

Hope you are doing well today! I have been reading this conversation from the start. I hope you don't mind my going back to original issue:

1. In order to pay for and then list an event (as the software isn't designed to cater to our needs just yet (hint!)), we've had to create and give access to a passworded page with the event entry form on it.

2. To get the page URL and the password: After they pay, they get a downloadable document with these details in them.

3. Our event is $220 per month or part thereof to list. If someone wants to list an event over several months, they CAN"T.

Let me understand this more clearly. You want users to be able to buy the privilege of listing events on your website. The cost of such privilege is $220 per month.

You want them to be able to buy this privilege/capability using marketpress. Once they have, you want to be able to hook into Events+ and let them add event listings that last for as many months as they have purchased the privilege for.

Just want to confirm if this is what you want.

I also feel I should clarify that all the ways discussed in the thread are inappropriate for what you are trying to achieve. I hear you when you say that either of the plugins should accommodate this scenario, but frankly, that is not feasible most of the time.

What I'm going to suggest involves custom code and may require a developer to help with the solution. If it were a simple quick fix, I would paste it here. However, it is quite beyond the scope of both the plugins' functionality and our support here.

What I can do, at best is chart out exactly what needs to be done with references to the files in the plugin. Enough information for even a beginner developer to code a solution for you.

Do let me know if that works for you.

Best

Saurabh

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Saurabh

You want them to be able to buy this privilege/capability using marketpress. Once they have, you want to be able to hook into Events+ and let them add event listings that last for as many months as they have purchased the privilege for.

In essence: Yes.

Sounds good re coding. Yes. (will it be able to live past any upgrades to Events+? ie not be made obsolete by the next upgrade?)

Thank you for taking the time to read and understand. Much appreciated.

regards,
    Karen

• Saurabh
    • New Recruit

Hi Karen,

Glad to know we are on the same page!

will it be able to live past any upgrades to Events+? ie not be made obsolete by the next upgrade?

Oh, yes. What I'm suggesting is a separate plugin that would integrate with MarketPress and Events.

There are four aspects to this integration:

1. MarketPress Product: You'd create a product worth $220. This would be a monthly subscription for listing events.

So, someone looking to list for 2 months, would buy 2 of these.

You could also do this via variations, if you want to allow users to buy multiple events, at the same time. Or, if you want to add an increasing discount for bulk months.

2. Order Integration: Once the payment is complete, the custom plugin will hook into the mp_order_paid action. This action provides the order details. In the current version of marketpress, you can find it on about line 3846 of /plugins/marketpress/marketpress.php:

do_action( 'mp_order_paid', $this->get_order($order_id) );

So, using an add_action to this action, our plugin can come into action. It has all the details of the order. From the order details, you'll have the number of months the listing privilege was ordered for (from the quantity, or the variation).

3. Storing user's privileges: With this knowledge, the plugin can store the order_id and other details (listing duration, etc) either in the user meta or somewhere else.

4. Modifying event addition process: Now when the user tries to add a listing, the plugin will hook into incsub_event_save_when_meta which is run right after the event start and end dates, etc are saved into the database or eab-event_meta-save_meta which runs after all the event information is saved.

This is where, depending on how many months the user has, you can modify any of the event information, because you'd get the event id and all the associated information. You can also check if the user needs to buy another privilege and not let the event to get published and keep it in draft, till they go ahead and buy another. You can show a notice telling them that if they need more months, they'd need to buy and show them a link to the cart with the extra months, they were trying to save already in the cart, etc.

You can modify the input fields for event timings and other event specific metaboxes, using the eab-meta_box-event_meta_box-before or eab-meta_box-event_meta_box-after filter hooks to modify the fields to your liking.

So, this is the basic framework to use. The possibilities are endless. All you need is a decent developer. You could hire one, here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Do let me know if you need any clarification or any help during the implementation of this plugin.

Best

Saurabh

• Saurabh
    • New Recruit

Hi Karen,

You could do either. However, please note that these are just pointers for someone not very familiar with either of these plugins. Someone who has more experience with any of them may not need these, at all or may even have a better idea.

There are plenty of developers here, ready to help with such custom development:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Or, you could try other marketplaces like odesk, elance, etc.

Once you have a person on board, you could show them this and redirect any queries they have, to us. We'd be more than happy to help clarify anything they need help with.

Do let us know if you need any other assistance with it.

Best

Saurabh

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Saurabh
    I just listed this on the first link.

I have no idea of cost so just put $50 - $100 - as I don't have any budget for this and I am presuming it isn't a big job.

Anyway I hope I am not insulting anyone...it is that amount due to lack of funds.

FYI.

Karen

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

I have two responses and both have asked for more info...but I am at a loss about what to tell them.

Do I put you in touch with them.

I am not able to speak IT to them so not sure what they need to know.

I copied the information above for them so they have all I know.

???What do I do next?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.