Issue with file restore location in WP Snapshot Pro + multisite

We mostly successfully recovered a snapshot from a dev site into a WP Multisite, however, rather than setting the WP Uploads folder and putting things into the proper subsite's upload folder, it decided to put things directly into /wp-content/uploads. It also didn't change a lot of names.

Some history:
Originally, the site was part of this WP Multisite install, we copied it out into a standalone install dev site for development/redesign. (URLs changed for privacy) The site was originstall.thecamplamp.com (mapped as publicsite.com using WPMUDEV Domain Mapping) and moved to a single install devsite.wpengine.com

The original multisite install has been around for a while and has the directory structure /wp-content/blogs.dir/ID#/files/ for the sites media, etc.

Upon completion of development, we created a new site on the original WP Multisite install called newinstall.thecamplamp.com, then used Snapshot Pro to transfer the data onto this new install. Upon loading the new install, we found many broken images, and realized that nothing was put in /wp-content/blogs.dir/ID#/files/ but was all transfered to /wp-content/uploads on the multisite. I also noticed that the WP Uploads folder setting was left blank.

Upon manually copying all the files into the correct blogs.dir folder, we found that many images now worked, however, there were still lots of images references to originstall.thecamplamp.com and a few references to devsite.wpengine.com, as well, there were references to /wp-content/uploads which weren't mapped to /files. All of these references appeared in the database in one way or another (and we fixed manually using other tools). We did not find any problems with references in CSS files.

Meanwhile, everything is now fixed, however, I'd like to know someone is looking into this to avoid future problems, as I intend to use Snapshot Pro in the future for similar such migrations.

• James Morris

Hello Jacob,

I hope you are well today.

In the interest of making sure we address your issue correctly, I need to ask for some clarification.

I understand your post as saying you migrated a subsite of a multisite install into a single site instance of WordPress. Is that correct?

If that is the case, I'm afraid doing such migrations is going to be unpredictable at best as there's no logic in Snapshot to migrate subsites in and out of multisites.

With that said, we are working to improve the migration logic and have it properly support multisite migrations in the future. We don't currently have an ETA on that update but it is being worked on.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write up such a detailed post informing us of this issue! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris