Issue with Membership + BuddyPress

So I'm just about done getting our site setup to use Membership and BuddyPress to create an online learning facility. The only problem I have (or can see right now) is that when I purchased a test subscription using Membership, it did not give me access to the BuddyPress group that was specified in the membership/subscription settings that I established.

Anyone else experience this issue? Or maybe I'm just overlooking a setting. Any light that can be shed, I would appreciate it! If you want to see the system in action yourself, let me know and I can send the link(s) and/or setup access as needed.

• DavidM

Hi chatmandesign and first off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

Could you let us know first off, what version of WordPress and Membership you're using here? That'll help us to see where the issue may be coming from.

Thinking through a couple things also, Membership wouldn't actually add members to the Group in question, they'd still need to get added to the Group in order to see it.

Is that possibly the issue?

• chatmandesign

Hi David,

Thanks! I'm using WordPress 3.2.1, BuddyPress 1.5.1 and Membership Premium 2.1.2. I don't think I really saw anything that could be affecting this by not upgrading Membership to 2.1.3, but who knows. :slight_smile:

The way the plugins look to me, if I were to add group accessibility to the membership level(s) as needed, that would trigger an addition to the group, or so I would think? If not, is there a way to make joining a BP group automatic on completely a subscription payment (new user) or just leaving them in that group if they renew, or taking them out if they choose not to continue their subscription?

Using the Access Level section in Membership, I would think they could at least see the groups they have access to, even if they aren't automatically joined to them. I bought a test package, and since the groups don't show up as existing either way, I have no idea if I successfully bought one or not.

I really hope we can make this work, if it's not fully supported to do this. Based on what I was researching before we joined WPMU and started down this road with WP and BP, it sounded like the perfect solution. Now I'm a little worried.

• DavidM

Hi chatmandesign,

I was actually going to mention that plugin initially. I'm not totally sure it works with the latest version of BuddyPress, have you tried that as yet.

Membership wouldn't, by default, add a user to a Group, the Group rule is meant to provide access to Group areas, such as Group forums. That could be done at the coding level though, a matter of custom work.

I think you'd just need to use the following function to do so:
    groups_accept_invite( $user_id, $group_id );

The thing is, I think you'd have to create a new rule in Membership to do that.

• chatmandesign

Hey David,

I haven't tried it yet, no. If it doesn't work though, I think we decided to just change the label on the "Join Group" button to "Activate Lesson" or "Activate Course" so it looks intentional. :slight_smile:

It's a minor bump but I think we'll be able to smooth it out either way.

I will see what I get done this afternoon and hit you up on this thread later if I have anything else.

Thanks for your help!

Matt <--- real name instead of chatmandesign :slight_smile:

• chatmandesign

Hi David,

I tried to use the Buddypress Auto Group Join plug-in and found it to be not compatible with BP 1.5.1. It doesn't detect that Groups are enabled:

MESSAGE FROM PLUGIN: BuddyPress Groups are currently Disabled. Please enable groups in the BuddyPress - Component Setup Menu.

If you know of any quick code triggers to change in the plugin, I'm all for trying it out. Otherwise we'll go the route of the "Activate" button on groups/lessons.

• sharonmiranda

Buddypress auto group join plugin states that it is upgraded and compatible with BP 1.5.2, however the admin message "Groups are currently Disabled. Try nw activation" still exists.

This issues was posted in the BP forum over a month ago with no answer. I posted recently asking for answer.

it sounds like you, chatmandesign, resolved by removing "the IF logic in the plugin that checks if the groups are enabled". Can you be more explicit? Which file, what file path, and what lines?
    And did the plugin work after doing that?

• sharonmiranda

The file: /buddypress-auto-group-join/php/bp-auto-group-join-class.php
    Lines 223 (but leave the opening first character ' }' through 232 are the relevant 'if' statement in case plugin doesn't detect BP groups are active.

However, just removing the 'if' logic statement doesn't help the matter. The function groups_are_active is defined in the init file: bp-auto-group-join-init.php.

An easy fix without having to delve in to the error in the query:

In that file, Line 41 returns 'false' in case BP groups were not detected as active. So i changed that to 'true'.

That enables the auto group join plugin to work.

Here is the rendered code:

function groups_are_active() {
    $active_components = get_site_option('bp-active-components');
    if ( isset( $active_components['groups']) ) {
    return true;
    } else {
    return true;

We'd still be better off with Membership subscriptions integrating to BP groups. But at least this now works.