Issue with menu on left side of dashboard

Hello,

I really really really really need help!!!!

We have a plugin called store locations on the site which controls the locations on the map. This site is a multisite and have franchisees which can log in using an editor role.

When an editor role logs in they are automatically landed on pages and you will see in the left menu store locations isn’t there, but if you go to testimonials you can see it. But the editor role gets a error notification saying Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page., this seems to be a capability issue.

We have a plugin on the site which is used to assist with the editor role capability but nothing in there to say this. Theres also some things in functions.php but nothin to do with why store locations cant be viewed.

I have spoke to the plugin developer and he said the following;

I havent changed anything.

The error is because of the wordpress capabilities. I wasn’t able to see anything related to the plugin either. I tried adding some but that didnt solve anything.

There is nothing in the plugin that controls who can and can’t see the menu, this should all be done with the permissions on the user role.

This is the code that I’m using to add the option to the sidebar menu –

add_action('admin_menu', 'sl_register_options_page');
function sl_register_options_page() {
add_menu_page(
'Store Locations', // Page Title
'Store Locations', // Menu Title
'edit-locations', // Capability
// 'store-locator', // Capability
'store-locator', // Slug
'sl_options_page' // Function
);
}

// ‘store-locator’, // Capability – This is not being used and wasnt being used before either. I have tried turning it on and assigned the capability to the user role but they still do not have permissions.

So in all theres two issues,

Issue 1- So Store locations. Well the editor role can no longer see it they see a – Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page. And I don’t have a clue what’s append of why this has changed

Issue 2- When you log in if you are an editor and are on any menu item (from the left of dash board) You cant see store locations but if you click on testimonials you can.

Issue one is the most important to try to fix but issue 2 is also really important too

Heres details to site and functions.php – https://we.tl/t-qh9od4hJN2

[Sensitive information removed by moderator]

I really dont know what to do or how to fix this or why it even went wrong and editor role can no longer see it…

PLease help

Many Thanks

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there allanlove

I’m afraid that this is too complex and it surpasses the scope of our support. Despite that, I could spend some time just in case I could narrow this down. In order to do so, I’ll need some more access details though. As this is a public forum, you should send us your details through our safe contact form

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

using this template:

Subject: “Attn: Dimitris

– WordPress super admin (login URL/username/password)

– (S)FTP credentials for file access (host/username/password/path of the website in question)

– link back to this thread for reference (e.g. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/example-topic)

– any other relevant urls

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.

Thank you,

Dimitris

• Nahid
    • Tech Support

Hey there allanlove !

Hope you are doing well today!

I took a closer look at the code that you've posted above in order to add the "Store Locations" menu item in the WordPress Dashboard sidebar menu. The code says that in order to access it, a user should have a user role which includes the "edit-locations" capability. I took a look at a couple of your subsites' User Role Editor configuration for the "Editor" role and was able to find that the "edit-locations" capability was not enabled for it. Here's a screenshot from the subsite "/gloucester/":

Could you possible try enabling the "edit-locations" capability for the "Editor" user role on a site and see if that works for you?

Hope this helps. We'll be looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Nahid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.