issue with pro-sites account link

I have already built one network using pro-sites, so have got it working fine.

However the one I am building now, I have a strange issue and wonder if it has been come across before, so I can avoid stepping back and rebuilding from scratch.

When going to 'account' or 'pro upgrade' i.e. linking to something like /wp-admin/admin.php?bid=9 depending on the bid , if I am logged in I get just a blank screen, and if it it done as part of a 'create blog' process, which works fine, but step 1 of loging in also goes to /wp-admin/admin.php?bid=9 except instead of a blank screen, I get a redirect loop error from my browser.

I have put full error setting into functions.php which would normaly show up if a blank screen was due to a php issue, but I get nothing.

So the redirect loop seems to be where the problem may lie.

Any thoughts ?

• Kimberly

Hi there!

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with this.

When mousing over the ProSites Button in my sandbox install I see the target is wp-admin/admin.php?page=psts-checkout

When I click I get the same url you are stating above with ?bid=9

Are you getting this error on all the subsites or only one? Perhaps something went awry with the site creation? Are you logged in as Administrator?

Are you using any domain mapping?

Best,

Kimberly

• Fullworks

Hi please can you help, this is now driving me crazy.

I have done two complete fresh installs and get the same problem.

Firstly I installed 3.4.1 using softalicious, but to elimiate softalicious I have just reinstalled manually

Installed 3.4.1
    modified wp-config as per http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network
    following the steps to create a network update wp-config / replace .htacess

Removed hello dolly & askimet
    installed wpmu dashboard plugin
    installed pro-sites
    installed wp-smtp-mail (I need this as php mail is disabled, I use this plugin on many sites and never gives any issues)

So standard build, nothing unnecessary, twenty eleven theme

An the problem persists.

On the same hosting package I have a working network (badlywired)
    the difference is when I go to accounts on the working network the link is
    (as you say psts-checkout) rewritten to http://badlywired.com/badlywired-site/?bid=35

yet on this site llocally.com it is http://llocally.com/alan3/wp-admin/admin.php?bid=2 but this just does nothing. (note the bid= has changed as this is a new build)

Any help, this is driving me crazy?

The only thing I can think of is perhaps as llocally.com teh pro-sites is 'out of the box' setting, I have changed nothing yet, and badlywired.com is fully configured payment gateways etc, that perhaps setting everything up, may just on the off chance, make it work. In which there should at least be a warning that something is not set up, instead of a blank screen.

• Fullworks

OK after much effort, because I have two sites side by side, I have been able to narrow this down.

It is a bug in pro-site plugin. I haven't got as far as identifying the actual code error, but neverless I think you owe me a massive bunch of reputation, as fixing this (or at least knowing the work around) is going to save you lots of support.

'out of the box settings' for pro-sites has
    Show Option On Signup
    unchecked

If left like that, the problem with the account link / pro-site upgrade link exists.

By checking/ticking this option the problem gets fixed, even if you uncheck at later, the problem permanently goes away.

The code

th scope="row">Show Option On Signup</th>
    <td>
    <label>
    <input type="checkbox" value="1" name="psts[show_signup]">
    Display an option on the signup page
    </label>
    <br>
    You can force and hide the signup option by linking to the signup page like this:
    <em>wp-signup.php?pro-site=1</em>

implies there is an option psts[show_signup] and the behaviour implies the checkout process is dependent on that option existing (checked or unchecked) for some reason, so I would guess that by default it doesn't exist until updated in the pro-site settings form, then one updated it exists and no longer breaks the checkout code.

-----------------update---------------------
    Actually, it could be any option on that screen being changed
    as I noticed the write goes to the equivalent of http://mysite.com/pstsrebrand/?bid=nn

So I think that any update to the pro-sites setting form would create the options' psts[] and given the redirect is the problem, I think that psts[rebrand] is probably the important option.

So basically, 'out of the box' settings for pro-sites have not set up the default options, so it won't work, but of course 99.999% of people would change an option very early in their testing, and by magic it would work.

That is probably why the issue isn't reported as often / at all as it could be because the bug self fixes.

Typical of me to find obscure bugs, then wast lots of time on them :slight_frown:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, over you to bug fix.

This has been a long and frustrating investigation!

• Kimberly

From my understanding this option Show Option On Signup forces the ProSite Status upon registration. Nothing more.

That means your users cannot opt for the Free Default site, they are automatically assigned a ProSite status.

The Default behavior is to allow a free site level for your users. So "out of the box" ProSites IS setup correctly, however maybe not correctly for what you are looking to do.

If I understand correctly you are saying that ProSites is broken out of the box? With no settings changed at all?

The url you show here

http://llocally.com/alan3/wp-admin/admin.php?bid=2

has a username in it? That is not what I was showing, are you using subdirectories?
    Edit: I see that you are using sub directories, sorry for the oversight

• Fullworks

@Aaron, yes that explains it, it is pity it doesn't give a warning on the screen, rather than an omninous blank screen, because initially I though it was something wrong with my set-up, not a feature!

Currently the documentatiopn says

"You can use the settings to re-brand Pro Sites, add free trials and create email notifications."

Note, 'you can' , rather than 'you must'.

If the bug is going to be left in, I think it would be good to mention in the documentation - IMPORTANT NOTE: You MUST update settings before the plugin will function correctly, as it needs to create the checkout page

@KimberlyL, thanks for your help, Aaron's daignosis matches my experience.

• Fullworks

There are many things that need to be setup in addition though for your site to work. The levels and prices, choosing a gateway, and adding your API credentials for example.

this is true.

I actually considered gateways as a potential issue when trying to solve this problem, but by bad luck I chose manual gateway which doesn't require anything to be set up on the settings pages.

Levels and pricing are not done on the settings pages either, I did try adding prices too, without touching the settings page.

Creating the page up on plugin activation would solve the problem. I did two virgin installs of 3.4.1 and the pro-sites plugin on a default shared hosting account and got the issue both times.

Thanks for your help on this. It is a pretty minor bug now I know how to solve it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.