Issue with responsive nature of elements

Hi there,

I'm having problems with making text elements responsive in Upfront.

I have an H1 page title but the text just disappears as the screen size reduces, which isn't very helpful. I would have assumed that the element and text would simply scale with the screen size?

How can I resolve this?

Kindest regards,

Steve

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Steve,

I hope you're having a nice day!

As Upfront-based themes are designed to let you easily create your own site without the need to use PHP/HTML and much of CSS it would be quite difficult to make its all elements fully responsive by design. My point here is that there's so many different scenarios that it's impossible to predict.

However, there's a handy tool that allows you to setup "responsiveness rules" as you wish. Please open the page in your browsers, enter the "Upfront mode" by using the "Upfront" link in you admin toolbar, then select "Responsive Mode" in the bottom-left corner (see screenshot 1).

Once "Responsive Mode" is enabled you are able to switch editing mode between various devices and adjust your site's layout accordingly (see screenshot 2).

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

Steve - Think BiG

Hi Adam,

I'm having a nice, if somewhat frustrating day whilst trying to get Upfront to do what I want it to do.

I have tried the responsive mode but, as I said in my first question, whilst my text displays in the full screen, below a certain size, the text disappears. This is also the case in the responsive mode section.

In the 1080 screen it's there but in all others, the element appears to be there but the text isn't! Are you saying that I have to recreate the same text 4 times?

Does this also mean that I have to recreate 4 x header images, and do everything 4 times that doesn't display correctly in the 4 different views?

I must say that I do love the whole idea of the theme but having gone for it based on the idea of it being simple to use, I'm really struggling to see how that applies - at least, at the moment. I'm finding so many things that just don't seem to work at all - or not consistently. Then there are other things that I just can't find out how to do them!

For instance: I've updated the colours in the Theme Colour Palette but the colour of the drop down sub-menus hasn't changes and I can't see any way of editing it.

Is there a way to create the basic look you want for each page template and then use the Wordpress Editor to update the content?

I ask this because many of my clients are posting regularly and I can see that teaching them to use Upfront - particularly if they have the problems that I'm having - is going to be something of a nightmare.

I'm sorry if I seem to come across a little negatively as I'm an incredibly positive person, but there seems to be precious little in terms of guidance on how to use the theme and I don't have time to be posting in here for every issue I have - and there are a lot.

I'm currently updating a clients site to give it a new look and feel and thought that Upfront looked perfect for the job. However, how the existing content is integrated from the Wordpress Editor to the pages in Upfront is causing me some serious challenges because, as I'm making small formatting or editing changes I'm losing a lot of the formatting.

Where the old content of a page is brought in to the Upfront theme I'm even finding it incredibly difficult to format the colour and size of the text. Neither seem to want to happen.

I've spent more than a day reading what literature you do have and trying to find answers in your support forum and whilst I have started to achieve the desired look and feel of a couple of the main pages, I'm struggling to get things to work as I really want them to on a per page basis. Each one is taking hours and I have over 200, including the posts.

Is there any kind of resource or advice that can help me sort this out quickly?

Predrag Dubajic

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay on this thread.

There is a bit of learning curve in Upfront and once you get past it you should be able to do everything in no time, and we are constantly working on improvements to make Upfront more user friendly.

In the 1080 screen it's there but in all others, the element appears to be there but the text isn't! Are you saying that I have to recreate the same text 4 times?
    Does this also mean that I have to recreate 4 x header images, and do everything 4 times that doesn't display correctly in the 4 different views?

There is no need to recreate everything 4 times, you should be able to see the items on smaller resolutions as well, there is option to show/hide certain elements once editing in responsive mode. See first screenshot attached below.

I have tried the responsive mode but, as I said in my first question, whilst my text displays in the full screen, below a certain size, the text disappears. This is also the case in the responsive mode section.

For instance: I've updated the colours in the Theme Colour Palette but the colour of the drop down sub-menus hasn't changes and I can't see any way of editing it.

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at these issues?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Is there a way to create the basic look you want for each page template and then use the Wordpress Editor to update the content?

This is not something currently possible within Upfront but we are working on theme builder which will enable such option.

For now, templates need to be created manually, you would need to change page_tpl-about.php from uf-spirit folder.
    You need to copy and rename that file and make changes you want.

Best regards,
    Predrag