Issue with Step 2 of the sign up process

Hi... I'm new at this and was really careful reading the Membership Plugin instructions but something obviously didn't work.

When I try and do a test checkout, I can easily get thru step 1 of the account creation but in step 2 with the subscription options, the page is all messed up.

Here is the link - http://www.bigearthexplorers.com/checkout2/

I've also attached a screenshot of the second step.

... the only thing I can think of is that it might be my theme. I bought it from Elegant Themes and it has been giving me some issues.

• DavidM

Hi chelsearaeps and first off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

Your theme does appear to be using a conflicting style for one of the elements used in the form. I believe the following can help you to get around that:

div.subscription div.description {
    position: relative !important;
    background: none !important;
    }

I think that'll work to override the ".description" class styling your theme is using while still allowing for the rest of your theme to use that styling. That adjustment would probably best be made using a child theme of your current theme, which I'm not totally sure is possible. It could be added to your stylesheet, accessible from Appearance > Editor, but would be best done using a child theme.

Could you have a look into that?

Cheers,
    David

• chelsearaeps

Well I got the error to go away... I had to change the final step of the Subscription Plan to Serial. Still wondering about something tho. With my setup, each month a member is charged an additional $15 but they get access to another set of posts. In order to do this I set up the first 3 months of content in separate access levels. Two questions --

When they go to check out, they get a list of all the months where they are charged $15 (I attached a screenshot to show what I mean). Eventually I'm going to have at least 12 levels of access levels listed under the Subscription Plan and I really don't want all of them listed on the PayPal checkout. Is there anyway to change that so it just says $15 per month?

And, if I change the Subscription Plan later to add more months, will Paypal inform the customer or will the subscription continue like nothing happened?

• Mason

Hiya chelsearaeps,

I wouldn't move them manually, the PayPal subscription won't follow and the original one may not be cancelled (thus your member would be paying the wrong subscription).

Which PayPal gateway are you using for this? You may be able to customize the gateway in order to only display the overall subscription - rather than showing the individual levels the user will progress through.

Let us know. Thanks!

• Mason

Hiya,

I took a look at the PayPal Express gateway today. I'm not seeing a way to easily dictate what appears for the terms field. Additionally, PayPal may be requiring this information from membership in order to modify the subscription.

I'll ask some others for feedback here and see if there's someway to only display the overall subscription when the payment amount isn't changing - just the level of content.

Thanks!

• DavidM

Hmm, I would think that since PayPal's handling the subscription themselves when using that gateway, they'd need that information, not totally sure on that though. We can ask the developer about that one.

Have you by any chance tried using the PayPal with Single Payments gateway though? You could try just deactivating the current one and enabling that at Membership > Add-ons. Then you'd just need to activate and make it public and enter your existing credentials.

Everything else should carry right over for testing.

Cheers,
    David

• Mason

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.