Issue with the Column Function

Dear All,

I am having some questions about the Daily-Bp theme and am wondering if someone can help with them.

1-) Does anyone here know how to get rid of the links (the one without images) below each individual post with thumbnails -- when using the Column display function on the Daily-bp theme?

It would be great if I could have just six posts on the front page, below the video (and above the footer), without any of these random links.

2-) How do I place a post above the video and the slide section? I saw one on the Docs that came to us with the themes but I have no idea how to do that.

3-) How do we change the background and text color on the row that has the date -- and the search button? Any help would be appreciate with that 9I have no idea about the name of that row) ...

Thanks!

rodrigo

• Tammie

@Rodrigokino: Hi, if possible I see you've asked this question in another thread - we do prefer to not have multiple threads asking the same question. If you do want to do these things you will have to do custom coding though.

1. You will need to remove in each instance the following lines in content-columns.php:

<ul class="category-preview">
    <?php $my_query = new WP_Query('category_name='. $cat_one . '&posts_per_page=5');
    while ($my_query->have_posts()) : $my_query->the_post();
    if( $post->ID == $do_not_duplicate ) continue; update_post_caches($posts); ?>

• " rel="bookmark" title="<?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?>
  • <?php endwhile; ?>

By every instance I mean those lines repeat several times in that file.

2. Placing a post above the video or slide.. well you'd be adding a custom loop query to home.php where you see:

<?php get_header() ?>
    <div id="content">
    <div class="padder">

Do it after that padder class and should be fine but you will have to add styling.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/query_posts should help you learn about custom queries. This wouldn't be in the documentation as customisation.

3. You can either use theme options but if those do not have the items you want customised (select default.css and see under preset styles and custom in appearance), then we'd suggest you use firebug and find the class then use the child theme to add your own styling. If you get issues with which one of these please provide a link to you site and I can show you what class it is. On that matter a link to your site would be great as I'm sure you've already done customisation seeing your previous threads and my advice may not work if you've customised something already.

Here is a tutorial on using firebug.

http://buddydress.com/2010/06/firebug-installing-discovering-and-using-the-tutorial/

• Rodrigokino

Thank you, Tammie. And I'll make sure to keep things to one thread from now on.

My site is http://www.BrazilNYC.com, and I just applied the advice you gave me to the category preview using the the column option. Thanks!

The last thing I'd like to do is to erase that sidebar search function right above my social links. Do you know where (and what codes) I should erase in order to do that? I attached an image of the search bar I'd lik to erase from my sidebar, just so there's no confusion. Thanks!

Let me know if you can help me with that.

I really appreciate your help -this site rocks!

Thanks!

Rodrigo

• Tammie

@Rodrigokino: If you remove that though people will not be able to search for groups or members.. that's not going to be good for a BuddyPress site I'd suggest. However, you just remove the following lines in any sidebar file you want it gone. Sidebars are under library/sidebars/ and bp-sidebarname are the ones for buddypress:

<div class="light-container">
    					<form action="<?php echo bp_search_form_action() ?>" method="post" id="search-form">
    						<input type="text" id="search-terms" name="search-terms" value="" size="18"/>
    						<?php echo bp_search_form_type_select() ?></p>
    <p>						<input type="submit" name="search-submit" id="search-submit" value="<?php _e( 'Search', 'buddypress' ) ?>"/>
    						<?php wp_nonce_field( 'bp_search_form' ) ?>
    					</form>
    				</div>

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.