Issue with User Registration - Not sure what it relates to

I have Membership installed. (you can sign up Free as a PAO Community Member to get access to the BuddyPress area).

I have another plugin (Job Manager) for organisations to list jobs - and pay for them.

We tested listing jobs and it works fine for an administrator - or someone who is logged in and signed up as a PAO Community Member.

BUT

A client tried to list a job today and - even though they turn up as a new USER (under users in WP dashboard) and and new ACTIVE MEMBER (under memberships) - AND they appear in the BuddyPress list as a new user - there are NO PERMISSIONS associated with this USER role.

When they list the job information, after previewing it, they are then supposed to pay for it (and it SHOULD take them to a paypal screen to pay).

What is actually happening is that they keep getting taken to the hidden/Protected Pages - which means that they are UNABLE to list their job with us.

How is the system (my set-up) hijacking the process?

They appear as Employer (under Role) in USERS..and a new MEMBER (active) - but with NO PERMISSIONS.

I tested it by using a new identity (subscriptions) to list a new job and I end up as a new USER listed as Employer (under Role) ...and a new MEMBER (active) but with no permissions
I also end up with Protected Pages and you can't go anywhere else... just like the client did.
1. Can anyone help with what is going on?

2. Do I need to create Employer as an Access Level? (Why - they should just be able to list a Job without creating an account - as I have that in the settings.)

3. If they are appearing as a new Member, why are there no permissions set for them. There is no Employer in any other drop down list for me to provide permissions.

4. I just want them to be able to list jobs and NOT get protected pages as a result of creating an account.

Please help as the client needs to list the event at the LATEST on Monday.

Thanks.
Karen

I'll make sure you can access the site.

• Karen

Further info:

With the Job Manager plugin- I have it set up so that you don't have to create an account to list a job.

If you don't it seems to work and take you through to Paypal to pay.

The issue becomes when they DO create an account - and so receive a password (via email) and can login to the site; their role is designated as "Employer" - but there are no criteria associated with this role - and I can't see any place where you can assign

Is User Role Editor the way to go?

I am downloading it to try now.

I still need to know answers to the above - I am just testing what I can as I need this to work!

• aristath

Hello there Karen,

First of all, on the PAO subscription plan, you've added the "BuddyPress Access" access level. On that level, you're using positive rules and added the 3 BP pages in there.
    What that means is that the user will have access to NOTHING except these 3 pages.
    I suspect that's where the problem is...
    I would advise you to use advanced rules instead of positive rules.
    This way you can assign users a user role and better restrict access to the areas you want.
    If you want to disallow access to certain areas of your site, I would advise you use a negative rule instead of a positive one.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Karen

Ari

The reason there is a mess is that the Membership information is VERY difficult to follow and understand (not just me - I've seen lots of posts about it).

Yes, I have watched the videos (many times) and read the documentation (many times) but it doesn't answer any questions about WHY you set things up that way, NOR are there EXAMPLE setups which would help.

It isn't just the PAO community / BP site.

What is not working is this NEW "Employer" role. HOW is it being CREATED? Where is it coming from? How do I assign what the Employer role is able to do.

Do you mind having a look at the questions I raised as they are not being answered and it doesn't help to talk about PAO community/BP when a WP login (which is NOT PAO or BP) but they end up on the Membership list.

How does it/ is it SUPPOSED to work. Where is the issue? How can it be Membership when there is a new role "Employer" which no one can tell me (a) where it comes from (b) how it gets its access rules (c) how it works with Membership/BP.

Help please so I can fix this or understand what is going on!

Thanks. Ari.

• Karen

Ari

As I understand it the PAO community signup for BuddyPress has been working ok (in the absence of any instructions/manuals that are clear). My people to date have been getting in and siging up to the PAO community and can see all their buddypress pages when they do.

I don't understand how the PAO community stops access elsewhere ie for the Employer role.

Isn't the PAO community SIGNING up to gain access to a restricted area - ie in ADDITION to seeing the whole VISITOR available areas they ALSO have access to the PAO community /BP area??

Basically I need some help in setting up my access to the site. The manuals are useless.

I need:
    1. Visitors - to see all the areas of the site EXCEPT the BuddyPress area they have to sign up for, or any Memberships that are paid memberships.

2. PAO Community - I understood that I had to set up Membership to allow them access to the BuddyPress area (ie a restricted area) in ADDITION to the the Visitor Area.

3. Employers - I am not sure why a new role has been created (by ? WP or the plugin?) I am not sure why they need a separate signin, unless to see a page of their jobs which makes sense. BUT what is controlling the Protected Content message for them only? That is what I don't understand and need to, to fix access.

If this isn't the way to do it..what is?

It is as clear as mud.

WPMU needs to give examples of several typical set ups.

It is too confusing as is.

Can you write up an idiot-proof way of understanding Membership. I know the manuals are being rewritten but that will take ages and help is needed NOW.

Thanks.

• aristath

Hello again Karen,

The access you have granted us has expired so I no longer have access to see how things are set-up anymore, or see where the user role you mentioned is coming from and advise you accordingly.

From what you've posted above though, this is how I would do it:

1. Visitors - to see all the areas of the site EXCEPT the BuddyPress area they have to sign up for, or any Memberships that are paid memberships.

Add a negative rule for BuddyPress pages.

2. PAO Community - I understood that I had to set up Membership to allow them access to the BuddyPress area (ie a restricted area) in ADDITION to the the Visitor Area.

You have to understand that an access level with positive rules will restrict access to everything except what you add as positive rules. So I would not advise you use them here.
    Instead, you can add negative rules and restrict access to a page you don't want them to see.

3. Employers - I am not sure why a new role has been created (by ? WP or the plugin?) I am not sure why they need a separate signin, unless to see a page of their jobs which makes sense. BUT what is controlling the Protected Content message for them only? That is what I don't understand and need to, to fix access.

I can't help you with that part of your question, could you please grant us access to your dashboard again so that we may see this in more detail?

Please advise,
    Ari.

• Karen

Further info.

I just don't understand how a plugin that creates an Employer Role, then stops access to anything and designates ALL web pages as Protected Content.

I can't work out how to remove that restriction ie give them access to the site and to manage their jobs.

The weird thing is that I can do it all as Administrator.
    The other weir thing is the client can list the job (for free without going via paypal) - yet when I test it, it does what it is set up to do ie charge for a job listing.

***More testing outcomes***
    1. I have created an Employer Access Level in Membership - to try and force access to all pages except BuddyPress.

I am testing it with my own Employer login - which is subscriptions. I just get Protected Content for ALL pages. I cannot get access to any of them.

2. I have tried giving permissions via User Role Editor - but all of those roles appear to be administration-type functions. I have Read and manage_job_listings access, but all I get still is Protected Content.

Help!

• Vaughan

Hi @karen,

The employer role is being assigned via the registration using the job listings plugin. (See screenshot 1)

It's likely that the registration system used by job listings plugin is not compatible with membership registration, so the users that are registering using job listings are not going via the membership registration/sign up pages. Because you have set the default subscription for registered users to None, this means they automatically get no default subscription, so will not have access to anything, you could try creating a default free subscription plan with limited access using negative rules, and then set the default subscription to that subscription plan for negative members.

Your access levels are using mixed rules & 2 of your access levels do not have any rules set at all.

I would advise to use negative or advanced rules for all your access levels & only select pages URL groups etc that you don't want users to access on that level.

If you use negative rules on 1 access level, you should use negative rules for all the access levels. it's a bit of a pain. But looking at your usercase, I would go with negative rules for all of them.

Hope this helps

• Karen

Vaughan

Thank you so much for responding about this nutty issue.

The employer role is being assigned via the registration using the job listings plugin. (See screenshot 1)

That is what I deduced. It can't come from anywhere else as "Employer" is unique to the plugin...and I saw it was in the plugin profile.

It's likely that the registration system used by job listings plugin is not compatible with membership registration, so the users that are registering using job listings are not going via the membership registration/sign up pages.

This is the conclusion I came to yesterday - but there is something else bugging me that means that may not be the case 100%.

1. I think they are being captured by the Membership plugin as they are listed in the list of All Members - but with no access levels or subscription levels. This suggests they are getting through the registration process and being nominated as Members.

**Do I just need to set up an Employer membership/access level. If so which?

2. As an Administrator, logged in, I can go to the Submit a Job page on the site and list a job, preview it, and then click on Pay for Listing (and get taken to Paypal to pay). So something is working for me that is NOT working for new Employers who register. (This is why we didn't pick up the issue until now, as our testing worked perfectly when I tried as admin and when my finance person tested it as they have a lot of rights.)

3. As a "new person" (using a different email) who creates an Account when I list a job from the Submit a Job page, I get sent a password to allow my own WP/site login which then shows I have BuddyPress access on the top right of my signin page (but as noted it goes only to the Protected Content page).

3.1 It also shows on the dashboard that I have access to list Events, list a Job (until I removed the manage_job_listings function with User Role Editor after adding it to the role) and access to Q&A. BUT ANYTHING you click on from within the logged in screen takes you to the Protected Content screen. All of it takes you there. (FYI When I added the manage_job_listings function - that was the ONLY tab on the dashboard that worked - which is how my client got to list their event eventually - BUT it gets around the payment process. I obviously don't want an employer to be NOT paying for listing their job/s so I removed the manage_job_listings function.)

* I am puzzled about :

- why a new person gets a blank Membership (no criteria) but they get Buddypress tabs and a dashboard - but no actual site access ie when they are logged in and they try to click on any tabs, they just get the Protected Content page.
    - why an Employer gets their own site login screen at all. The "create an account" on the Submit a Job page - sends them a password to login to the site (which gives them their own page with dashboard as noted above - BUT I have NOT set that up anywhere (so WHAT is controlling that aspect?)
    **What I DON'T like about this is that it is giving back-end access when I don't think it should.
    - if they DON'T "Create an Account" it all runs smoothly and they list, preview and pay for the event as it is designed to work.
    - an "Employer" has LESS access (none in fact) to the website than a visitor - ie it
    blocks all access to the site and says it is Protected Content (this makes NO sense!)

Using Role Editor is about giving access to administrator-like access to different levels. It doesn't help with the Employer role as I don't want them to have ANY internal control. They JUST need to be able to (a) see the site) (b) list their jobs (c) get taken to Paypal to pay and then the jobs are there in the list for me to approve and publish.

I'll look at permissions - they are a result of Membership information (in videos, the manual and any posts I could find) not making it clear. MANY people have trouble with the Membership function and I got a lot of conflicting advice whenever I tried to clarify how it worked. I have suggested clearer manuals (which are apparently being rewritten) but no one can give clear examples or a non-geek rationale for the underlying way it works and how to set it up. I noticed recently that you can''t use the positive tab AND the negative tab as it will wipe one of them. When I tried to set up the system you could do both.

Some examples of typical setups would REALLY help.

If you understand it, please help by explaining it clearly as I have yet to get a clear explanation on why it operates the way it does, how it works with other features (eg buddypress - registration page fighting was a major issue here which may be fixed now but I had to work around the two "register" pages).

Many people drop out in frustration.

It should not be so hard to understand - we just want to use the stuff.

Thanks if you are able to help with the questions above about Employer role and Membership.

I'll try to check my set up and see if I can do it differently.

I'll also extend support access so you can check it out.

Thanks again.
    Karen

Can it be made to work with Membership? - if not I have a major issue with functionality of the website.

• Karen

OK More info which might help to debug this process:

Last night I tried yet another email to list a job (Info).

In the User tab in the Admin dashboard - there is a new Employer category (which the Job plugin must add) (ie along the top above the list of names is):
    All (31) | Administrator (1) | Employer (3) | Subscriber (27) | Pending (4)

The 3 Employers listed (including the new "Info") appear under BOTH the Employer AND the Subscriber tabs - AND in both spots the Member Permissions are listed as "None".

Any suggestions on how to work with whatever Membership plugin is doing to get it to allow Employers to list jobs and pay for them as per the plugin process?

Thanks.

• Vaughan

Hi Karen,

You can create en employers level & subscription plan. then assign that as default in the membership > options > membership page default subscription for registered users. That should work.

But the issue you have with this is, normal registered users will also be assigned to that subscription plan too. By normal registered users, i mean users that haven't gone through the sign up process, or have a current subscription plan at all. If you don't have any users like that because they all go through the membership sign up, then it could possibly work, but if not, then I don't know if it would be a simple task to ask a developer if it would be possible to add a bit of code into membership plugin to assign any user with an employers role to a specific access level itself, which could be another possibility.

Membership doesn't restrict access based on user roles, it restricts based on access levels and subscription plans that users are assigned to. So it does not regard the employers role as anything at all.

wordpress does not have a default visitors role at all, the QA_Visitors role is created by the Q&A plugin, but once QA plugin has created it, it also gives you the chance to use that as a vistors role for other plugins to that have different capability settings for viewing/adding/editing etc.

Hope this helps

• Karen

Vaughan

You can create en employers level & subscription plan. then assign that as default in the membership > options > membership page default subscription for registered users. That should work.

But the issue you have with this is, normal registered users will also be assigned to that subscription plan too

..that's exactly what I was worried would happen. .

Membership doesn't restrict access based on user roles, it restricts based on access levels and subscription plans that users are assigned to. So it does not regard the employers role as anything at all.

...That's what I thought.

It is however, creating a Member out of each Employer - so is there a way I can add subscriptions/access levels to it so when they are created as Members on registration (which happens automatically) I can assign them Employer access which I create (somehow).

Does Membership allow for a "Role" to be added to positive or negative rules?

There must be a way to do this.

The other thing is - How am I able to list and submit jobs as Administrator and go to Paypal - Membership must be allowing it somehow? If I can work out how that is happening, then there is a clue to how to do it for Employers.

Thanks for your help with this conundrum.

• aristath

Hello again Karen,

Why don't you simply create a new access level for users that just subscribed and haven't registered as an employer or employee yet? That would allow your logged-in (but otherwise unregistered) users to continue browsing the areas of your site you allow them access to.

As for user roles in Membership, you can assign a user role to a subscription level by using the advanced rules (not positive or netgative, but advanced instead).

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Karen

Vaughan

I got in touch with the Job Manager plugin developer (see below)

His comments come after I gave him the log in for a new Employer (called subscriber in this instance) - created under a new email when I listed a new job to test it all.

(I am happy to give you the password for user name: subscriptions so you can see what I mean about the level of access for an Employer and how Protected Content happens on all pages (buddypress, dashboard or any website page menu or sub-menu tab)- basically no access - except to list an Event (oddly enough).

Bear in mind that I have set NONE of the settings for an Employer role. (I don't know how to reach the bits that do that). User Role Editor plugin gets them into an admin-type role and I DON'T want them in that area.

Mike replied May 14 10:27am
    Right;

1. your protected content plugin (membership) needs to be configured to allow employer and candidate roles to view content.
    2. The employer and candidate roles have very limited permissions by default - just read access essentially, which means:
    a. The event plugin doesn't care who submits something
    b. The roles have been customised to grant more permissions
    3. When you were saying events, I thought you were talking about jobs. Obviously events are out of scope for my support because its not my plugin.
    4. I suggest locking ALL users out of admin except for the admin. Regular users don't need to be there, and you don't want people accessing events in the backend

http://wordpress.org/plugins/remove-dashboard-access-for-non-admins/
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-disable-wordpress-admin-bar-for-all-users-except-administrators/

Mike Jolley
    support@wpjobmanager.com

(I think he means "subscriber" when he says "candidate". FYI)

There are a few issues I have:

1. I tried the code suggested in the second URL (to lock out non-admin people ie block backend admin access to anyone EXCEPT and admin person - BUT on testing it ALSO takes away the BuddyPress area (top right)! so that doesn't work.

2. I am not sure why a PAO Community member (who are the people signing up for BuddyPress) needs the left hand menu (apart from profile) - for some reason Events turns up there as well (which like Job Manager gets AROUND the payment via Paypal which I am not happy about).
    It has Events, Jetpack (why???), Questions, Profile, eNewsletter listed in the dashboard (what decides that these features get listed?)

....I'll post the rest next...

• Karen

...here it is...

3. Is BuddyPress also giving access to the dashboard? (or is it Membership?)

I am confused about why the front end and back end access are getting mixed up.

I thought I - as Admin - would be the only one to have backend access. (I am not using Editor and all the rest of the roles that manage how other people contribute to your site's content.)

I thought our PAO community would have access to the Buddypress area only - why are they getting a dashboard as well?

How do I determine what the different members get access to (obviously Membership
    sets that up - but when a Job Manager ends up as a Member - it has no automatic access assigned. I do NOT want to have to do it manually for EACH person!

1. your protected content plugin (membership) needs to be configured to allow employer and candidate roles to view content.

I don't think this is possible, is it?

If the Job Manager plug in creates the "Employer" role and adds them as BOTH a "Subscriber" and "Employer" User - with "None" under the Membership permissions column; AND they are listed as "Active" members under All Members (Membership plugin) but with NO Access levels OR Subscriptions THEN HOW do I manage/amend the Job Manager role?

Sorry this is so long.

Thanks for any clarification on how to make this all work - or understand why it won't or can't.

Thanks.
    Karen

• Karen

Ari

I think my head just exploded. :slight_frown:

I will read and re-read until it is clear but I may need help on the process.

Have I got this right?:

1. When someone visits my site to look around: They are a Visitor.
    (They are not logged in - they are just a random person visiting from the websphere.)

2. When they sign up to my PAO community: PAO Community member & BuddyPress access.
    (They "signed up"? /"subscribed"? /"registered"?)...so now they are a User called Subscriber.
    Now they have to log in to get access to their profile and record.)
    Subscription = Sign Up to our PAO Community
    Access level = Access to BuddyPress Area

Oddity: I have someone appearing in my BuddyPress Area (the list of people who have access BP lately), with NO Membership (see Subscriber "Em"). I am not sure how they are "getting in" to the BuddyPress Area without signing up.

3. When a job advertiser "Creates an Account" ....they are listed as a User ("Subscriber" & "Employer" roles) AND Member (No Access level, no subscription)

What is a "registered user" exactly? (Employer? PAO Community Member? Subscription joiner? ???)

Another Oddity:Also - when someone wants to attend an Event, they don't just go thru to Paypal, they end up having to Sign up (they've used PAO community Sign Up as that is all I knew to advise them) BEFORE they are able to pay for a course place.

I just noticed that one of my people "Peterward", attended a course, but has no Subscription or Access levels.

Why don't you simply create a new access level for users that just subscribed and haven't registered as an employer or employee yet? That would allow your logged-in (but otherwise unregistered) users to continue browsing the areas of your site you allow them access to.

"a new access level for users that just subscribed" = I need to clarify how this user is "subscribing". (PS there is no such thing as "employee". FYI)

If the are " logged-in (but otherwise unregistered)" - don't you have to be "registered" to have a "login"?

I am sure someone can unpick all these symptoms, I just don't have the required understanding of Membership / Users to do it.

Thanks to the angel who can clarify this.

• Karen

Ugh.

Under Member tab in Dashboard, I see the User Name "subscriptions" (ie me in test mode) does not have ANY membership subscription OR access level

YET when I log in as User: "subscriptions" I am getting a BP screen, a dashboard and the website pages BUT ALL take me to the http://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/hidden/protected page.

1. Why is it creating a BP profile "Howdy, subscriptions" when I have ONLY gone to list a job as an advertiser?
    2. Then (stupidly) it LOCKS ME OUT OF EVERY PAGE - Except Add an Event which I can enter data and then Submit for Review.
    3. That event...after I put in 30/5/2014 (in several different formats as the calendar doesn't come up on an ipad) - just keeps it at 1970-01-01 so the Submitted Event comes up in the Admin Events dashboard as 1 Jan 1970. (another oddity). I tried changing on the listed event (but it won't change) making it useless as an event process as well if only that date is going to show.

FYI in case it gives more clues as to where things are going pear-shaped.

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

I'll try and break this down and see where this is going wrong :slight_smile:

By default anyone that registers can access the dashboard area, but they shouldn't be able to access any actual settings or plugin menus for anything.

By default someone that registers on your site using either BuddyPress or Membership would be a subscriber.

A subscriber role is basically read access, with no edit rights, so they can't change settings, create posts, that sort of thing.

Then in Membership, you have positive and negative rules, if you are using positive rules on one rule set, that same rule set (positive) should be used across all other access levels.

Positive rules, grant that access level access to the content in question and automatically blocks it for all other levels without that access.

Negative rules would block that content to the content in question and any content not blocked, would be visible if that makes sense?

The events with the date issue, when adding a event, can you make sure you are adding it in a 24hr format for the time please? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

I need to set some time aside and read the comments and my questions...as I have to work out in my head what is going on when people sign up using different paths.

The odd thing is that - while the WPMU dev staff tell me I have the wrong access levels in my site, they actually are working.

So PAO community people sign up, can access things and no issues.

It is the plugin that has thrown this for a loop - but it is features of Membership that is taking over (should it just leave plugins alone?).

One question: If I have a Member created (from the Job Manager or any other plugin) but no access levels or subscriptions:
    (a) should I then create access levels and subscriptions for that new member type - so it ties together?
    (b) would that mean that any NEW person submitting a job (or something for a diff plugin) would then automatically have the access levels and subscriptions of eg Job Manager member
    OR will I STILL have to amend their membership manually which it looks like I will have to do for the first one.

Thanks for any clarification on this.

regards,
    Karen

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

Hope you're well today :slight_smile:

One question: If I have a Member created (from the Job Manager or any other plugin) but no access levels or subscriptions:
    (a) should I then create access levels and subscriptions for that new member type - so it ties together?
    (b) would that mean that any NEW person submitting a job (or something for a diff plugin) would then automatically have the access levels and subscriptions of eg Job Manager member
    OR will I STILL have to amend their membership manually which it looks like I will have to do for the first one.

It would be (b) where you'd still need to manually add their subscription I'm afraid.

* Fixed: Forced access level only applied with new user registration (or 3rd party scripts). Does not apply to users using the "Signup" links.

This applies to the forced subscription level which now applies with whatever signup form they use, this can be forced from membership > options :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Thanks. It's a good overview but doesn't answer the specific questions I am struggling with above.

Questions from above comments:

Then in Membership, you have positive and negative rules, if you are using positive rules on one rule set, that same rule set (positive) should be used across all other access levels.

by "one rule set" do you mean "Subscription" ? (which is made up of a bunch of access levels which must all be positive or negative for that particular Subscription) - is that what that means (I am assuming that you don't mean "across all other levels" ie for ALL Subscriptions. (Ie is Subscription is a sub-set which needs to comprise all positive or all negative eg One Subscriptin could al be positive and another Subscription all negative? Is that what you mean?

By default someone that registers on your site using either BuddyPress or Membership would be a subscriber.

The Job Manager plug in - is creating a User called Subscriber (and also creating a new user category&role called Job Manager which the new person is ALSO listed under) BUT this is not giving access to ANYTHING. (so they are a Subscriber with NO READ ACCESS) and...

It is ONLY giving Protected Content for EVERY page, when you log in. (So something is going wrong there.) They are also listed as a Member in the Membership plugin BUT WITH NO access levels or Subscriptions.

Interesting...in the User tab it list the Employer role (where other subscribers are listed as Subscribers) and has them as a Subscriber in the Other Roles column. If you go into Edit - it list Employer role under the drop down list. If you then go to the bottom of the page Under User Role Editor it says Subscriber beside that with an Edit button. If you click on that, it shows the role capabilities which have features that are ticked and greyed out. IN other words it seems to push the Subscriber role to the side and Employer becomes the main role. But it IS creating the Subscriber role (so it must be passing via the BP or Membership process.) So WHY won't it allow read access for the site and WHY protected content for ALL pages (even the ones a casual visitor to the site can see?)

Can someone please check it out on my site.

Thanks.

• Karen

When I remove Employer as user role and ONLY have Subscriber - logged in I STILL only get Protected Content.

Should that be happening? (I don't think so - it means something else is controlling permissions and I can't get to where ever that is.).

The role editor is saying that I should have READ permissions as a Subscriber - but SOMETHING is preventing it.

Can someone please have a look to work out why a simple log in is giving protected content.
    Thanks.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Karen,

After doing some further research, I'm now able to sign up to the site as an Employer, and get to the payment page for job postings. The fix was actually pretty simple. :slight_smile:

I went in and created a Visitor Subscription, attached the Visitor level to that, set the Mode to "Indefinite", and activated it (without making it public, of course; you can do this by checking the box for the subscription, and selecting "Toggle activation" from the Bulk Actions drop-down menu).

After that, I went into the Membership Options, and set "Use Subscription" to the Visitor Subscription I created earlier.

And now, the job creation aspect of your site works like a charm. :slight_smile:

I am not sure if this is related but my PAO Community members are not able to sign up for the Networking Opportunity membership.

They are just getting the Protected Content pages as well.

Can someone check for me to see what is going on please?

Not sure what's going on here, I tried changing my test user to the subscription and access level you set up for them, and I'm able to get to the payment page (went to My Account -> My Subscriptions, clicked Sign Up, and then the PayPal Subscribe button).

Could you elaborate on what steps you're taking to get the Protected Content page to show up? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

Regards,
    Michael

• Karen

Michael

You are an ANGEL!

I am just on the site and noticed I was now able (as my test persona) to visit the pages and menu #2 is back (it disappeared and I was just starting another thread on it.

PLlllllllllllease stick with me for this one as I am so happy to have something working!

I read the above - but it reads like Spanish to me (glad you found it "simple"! I don't. :slight_smile:

just got to go plug my ipad in so I can use this on the desktop and do tests on it. Back in a tick.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Karen

Michael

Now back.

I have read the above about what you did ...and am no clearer (sorry) ...but in testing as my test persona (subscriptions)...

Menu #2 is back - yeah and THANK YOU!

I seem to be able to do My Subscriptions and also get to the Paypal segment. (I will need to ask some of my people to re-test and see if they can do it now or not)..

I was just about to say it was all fixed BUT I hit a Protected Page again...I was trying to work out what tab I used to get there but that seems to have gone (ah it was me - not in the PAO community - trying to access the PAO community so - rightly - it won't let me in to that area.

BUT, can you please explain, given I have a "Howdy, subscriptions" (in the top right) as a User Type called Subscriber, AND I get the dropdown list of Activity/Profile/Notifications etc, why do I have all those when I am not part of the PAO community which gives access to BP.

Should they be there?
    How do I only have the BP menu for PAO community people only?

Questions:

1. Will anyone visiting the site be able to see the public areas of the site without signing in? or will all visitors now end up signing up to visit the site?
    2. Do Employers now end up as Visitors? or Users? (or both).
    3. Do I need to do anything to Roles or is it all ok as it...

It seems to be working..I cannot tell you how GRATEFUL I am. Bless you!

From your end, does it seem to be operating OK?

PS It would be really great if someone could explain the rationale behind Membership to all of us who struggle with it.

Another question:

1. Membership has Subscriptions with "levels" that you have to work through in order - why? How do you do a list of the areas of the site that people have (or don't have access to) without it appearing like levels they have to go through over time.

2. Why are Questions appearing in my Subsciptions dashboard? How come I appear to be able to trash questions - it has published and trashed but only allows me to view them. Is this just intended as an area for a Subscriber to see all as well as ask and answer questions?

Sorry for all the questions but getting things solved excites me and I want to get them all sorted!

Thanks again for any help above.

I am going to try and understand the visitor stuff you did above.

• Karen

Michael

Re:

After doing some further research, I'm now able to sign up to the site as an Employer, and get to the payment page for job postings. The fix was actually pretty simple. :slight_smile:

I went in and created a Visitor Subscription, attached the Visitor level to that, set the Mode to "Indefinite", and activated it (without making it public, of course; you can do this by checking the box for the subscription, and selecting "Toggle activation" from the Bulk Actions drop-down menu).

After that, I went into the Membership Options, and set "Use Subscription" to the Visitor Subscription I created earlier.

And now, the job creation aspect of your site works like a charm. :slight_smile:

I am just trying to understand the logic behind it so I can work it out.

1. Everyone who [lists a job and hence signs up as an employer] or [visits the site -?]

...ends up as a Visitor.

I am not sure what is puzzling me. I think I am confused about when someone becomes a subscriber or Visitor.

(a) Stranger = Visitor = Casual visitor to the site - no signup required? Can just visit and go away again and see all public parts of the site no problem.

(b) Registered User with No Access level eg An Employer who lists a job - and ergo creates an Account (and now can Sign up and see the site and it works as designed with Job Manager etc). That is the Visitor Subscription, yes?
    [To become a registered user, a plugin - Job Manager, BP, Membership - must create an account for them - but if there are no levels assigned in that process they get the Visitor Subscription by default?]

[Am I right in thinking this is where the issue was - because they had no access level/s assigned, the Job Manager fell down this hole so nothing worked?

(c) Someone signs up to PAO community - because they have created an account and have access to the BP part of the site, they don't have/need Visitor Subscription as they have "leapfrogged" over that as an access level applies to them.

OK Now it just gets bit bizarre..

On my test persona (which started out as an Employer - so had Employer and Subscriber status until I removed Employer in testing. It is now JUST subscriber...it was listed as a Member in membership but with NO ACCESS levels and NO SUBSCRIPTIONS.

IF I - logged in as test persona "subscriptions" - click on PAO Community (which I am NOT part of) I get Protected Content (correct result).
    BUT if I now (didn't happen earlier today) if I click on "Howdy, subscriptions" I've GOT ACCESS TO PAO Community.

As I was typing this I tested it again and it is NOW Protected Content if I try to access PAO community via the "Howdy" dropdowns.

You might have been testing it while I was working on it.

Ok, back to bizarre - I GET access to Profile/Notifications/ Friendshp /Pending Requests/Settings (and their sub-menus) BUT I do NOT get access to Activity/Groups (or their sub-menus) AND I can see the list of members etc.

Please help! It doesn't make sense they can see some - it should be all (if PAO Community member) or nothing (if Just a Subscriber).

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

• Karen

Michael

I have been checking members - and they are by default in the Visitor Subscription (which EXCLUDES them from BuddyPress pages doesn't it? YET they are turning up in the list of active people in the BuddyPress area.

Something doesn't seem right.

It seems that PAO Community and Visitor subscriptions are taking them to the same BP area - but the Visitor only has access to some of the dropdown "Howdy" menu areas (as noted above).

Surely Visitors should not be in there at all (as the Membership level assigned excludes them from the BP area??)

Thanking you in advance. :slight_smile:

Thanks if you can clarify.

(PS I'll go away once it all works. Actually that's not true I have other questions about setting up other memberships and if I need to set them up di

• Karen

Ari

No, the other threads address other issues (and as I found out more - eg my person getting kicked out of PAO membership when signing up for another, that raised another issue to fix which I listed in that thread).

The specific questions above have not been addressed elsewhere...

As noted:

I am just trying to understand the logic behind it so I can work it out.

..if it is understandable, I will bother you less as I will be able to work it out myself.

[Am I right in thinking this is where the issue was - because they had no access level/s assigned, the Job Manager fell down this hole so nothing worked?

..I can assume, but it would be nice to know. If others read these posts, they will also be looking for the same answers.

The reason I am listing what I find as I thought it would help diagnose what the issues are with my site/the plugin.

If the documentation was better and explained this, there would be no need for all the questions.

There is no way I would have worked out what Michael did...so I am trying to understand the plugin, so I can use it. (I DO understand positive and negative rules but there's a lot more to understand - and at present PAO has positive for BP but ALSO sees all the site and it's not in the positive list so there are still anomolies that I can see.)

Sorry to annoy you with questions, but unless I put it down how will you know what is going on. I am doing a lot of testing and being specific with you about what I am finding. I thought that would save time at your end.

Pray tell how do you sort things if you don't list what is going on - in detail. I am just trying to find the answers. I don't know what is important information to you. I just tell you the symptoms and hope it means something to someone at your end.

Sorry the posts are long. But if you don't give details you get asked for it and it wastes more time. I'd rather do it all at once so someone has it all at their fingertips and can work their way through the symptoms to come up with the solution.

I am actually sorting a lot of stuff myself, but the Membership plugin is atrocious.

FYI.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Karen,

Sorry the posts are long. But if you don't give details you get asked for it and it wastes more time. I'd rather do it all at once so someone has it all at their fingertips and can work their way through the symptoms to come up with the solution.

Not to be rude, but while I understand giving out enough information, sometimes these posts are too long.

As it stands, I had to refer to only your first post when I gave the answer I did (checking the most recent post briefly, just to make sure there wasn't something I missed). Otherwise, my head would've gone ka-boom! :slight_smile: (not literally, of course, but you get the idea)

It helps us to help you when the questions are reasonably concise & clear (of course, going into more detail when necessary), and it also helps when we stick to the issue asked about in the thread. Going in several different directions makes it confusing for other staff members, as well as the community at large.

On this:

I don't know what is important information to you. I just tell you the symptoms and hope it means something to someone at your end.

Telling us what's going on definitely helps, but if you're not sure if there's something else that's needed, just ask! Nothing wrong with that. :slight_smile:

Besides, as times goes on, and you see what we ask for, you can get a better idea of what information we'll need.

Regards,
    Michael

• Karen

Michael

Thanks for your understanding and I hope to get it all sorted as well.

I would dearly love to get out of your (collective) hair ...as I am sure the IT guys would like as well! :slight_smile:

If in doubt, I will start another thread and copy the reference to the thread in the new one...that might fix it.

I try to close anything that is sorted as we go along and have done that quite a number of times.

Thanks,
    Karen

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.