Issue with Wordperss Comments Tab on Posts Only

I seem to be having an issue related to single displayed posts only.
The wordpress comment tab is there along with facebook and twitter.

Facebook and Twitter tabs work just fine, but the wordpress tab will not display any comment form fields.

Again this is only for single page posts with comments.

Other details:

Running the latest version of Wordpress.

• jmfridey
    • New Recruit

Hi James,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My website is http://www.gadgetlabusa.com

Some more specific details on where the problem is.

If you go to my news section and click on any post you'll see the issue.

If you click on Tournaments, Madden 2013 you'll see the issue.

If you click on Tournaments, Madden 2013, Rules the plugin works as it should.

Let me know if you need any further details, thank you!

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @jmfridey

Excuse the "dumbness" of what I'm about to ask, but I sometimes find that a problem is caused by the "obvious" things we miss.

Do you by any chance have comments (meaning WordPress Comments) turned off on posts? Also, do you have them turned off on certain pages?

Let us know either way.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• jmfridey
    • New Recruit

James,

No worries on these type of questions, I'm in IT for a living and 90% of the time it's always the obvious :slight_smile:

Here are my settings in Discussion Settings

Attempt to notify any blogs linked to from the article (checked)
    Allow link notifications from other blogs (pingbacks and trackbacks) (checked)
    Allow people to post comments on new articles (checked)

Comment author must fill out name and e-mail (checked)
    Users must be registered and logged in to comment (un-checked)
    Automatically close comments on articles older than 14 days (un-checked)
    Enable threaded (nested) comments 2 levels deep (checked)
    Break comments into pages with 40 top level comments per page (unchecked)

I also went to a post that is having the issue and did confirm
    Allow comments is checked.

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday again @jmfridey

I'm about to step out for a meeting with a client, but wanted to ask what plugin you are using to make the Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress commenting available like that?

I'd like to install it on my test site and see what I can do with it.

IT huh? I was telling someone just yesterday that my days extend back to the days of the DEC PDP11/73 (a UNIX environment if memory serves me correctly). Man, I must be old.

LOL!!!

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi there!

@JamesDunn as always giving expert help :slight_smile:

I see that you are using our Events Plugin to post the Tournaments, perhaps it has something to do with a custom post type?

Does your page template have the standard items as your single.php template?

Best,

Kimberly

• jmfridey
    • New Recruit

@JamesDunn

I hope I understand what you're asking me correctly but I am using Comments Plus from wpmudev, not sure if you're refering to another plugin you may have saw :slight_smile:

@Kimberly

I was actually thinking it may have to do with a custom post type, as other plugins will allow me to show features based off of page, post, event, etc. I couldn't find any settings like that in Comments Plus though...

The following code is what I have in both pages.php and single.php...

<?php if ( ('open' == $post->comment_status) && ('open' == $post->ping_status) ) : // ?>
    <?php do_action("comment_form_before");?>
    <?php do_action("comment_form_after");?>
    <?php endif; ?>
  • James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @jmfridey

You understood me correctly. I just didn't know what you were using for your comments - I don't use the Dev plugin so I wasn't familiar with it's layout.

Regardless, just visited and I think you've switched to a default theme to see if you can figure this out. I'll sit quietly by to see what you report back with because I don't want to muddy the waters.

Sometimes, too much information is worse than not enough information. I end up trying too many things at once and then spend more time undoing them than if I spent doing them.

I'll await a post back.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

BTW, @jmfridey

I did check the two different places and your WP Comments now work with that apparent default them. Don't know what you have disabled, but as of this writing it works properly.

Looks like you are well on your way to sorting this.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• jmfridey
    • New Recruit

HI @JamesDunn and @Kimberly

Yes switching to the buddypress default theme seems to have started me in the correct direction.

Although now it seems as if I have a new speed bump to add to my confusion lol.

It may be as simple as copying the comment code from the buddypress default theme and pasting it in place of my code...

I did not see the API hooks that Comments Plus uses in the buddypress default theme though. Not quite sure if the API hooks are optional or not.

• jmfridey
    • New Recruit

Well what do you know!

First time was the charm after we figured out it was my custom theme :slight_smile:

I'm not sure exactly what in my theme caused this issue, as I said I did use the suggested API hooks from wpmudev in the installation instructions.

My final thoughts on this are the following.

Buddypress may have been a big part of this issue, it definitely may have been my error on developing my theme around Buddypress.

How I was able to resolve this issue was to copy the following line of code from the BuddyPress Default theme single.php file and pasting it where I wanted my comments.

<?php if ( ('open' == $post->comment_status) && ('open' == $post->ping_status) ) : // ?>
    <?php comments_template(); ?>
    <?php endif; ?>

Since comments_template() calls on comments.php I also went ahead and copied over the comments.php file from my BuddyPress Default Theme.

Hope that helps anybody else that may run into these issues :slight_smile:

And thank you both @JamesDunn & @Kimberly for helping me trouble shoot this issue. Putting 3 heads together definitely saved me a lot of time and frustration!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.