Issues: Questions Widget, Categories and

Hi some minor issues I came across:

1. in both my default posts and questions post I have a category with the same name "highschool". Because of this it causes conflicts, if I click the category it goes to the default posts tags instead of the QA tags.

2. My Q&A: Questions widget isn't working (its the only Q&A widget that doesn't work on my site). No matter what information i put in the widget via admin, it displays no information.

Any insight?

reference: http://bit.ly/TcbriQ

Thanks

• aecnu

Greetings phyve,

Thank you for bringing these items to our attention.

1. in both my default posts and questions post I have a category with the same name "highschool". Because of this it causes conflicts, if I click the category it goes to the default posts tags instead of the QA tags.

This is almost certainly a slug issue and the best thing to do would be to change one of them - even if it is a single letter.

Another thing you can try are to reset your permalinks, you do not need to change them if they are set to anything but default, but do click save and retest.

2. My Q&A: Questions widget isn't working (its the only Q&A widget that doesn't work on my site). No matter what information i put in the widget via admin, it displays no information.

This sounds like a conflict of some kind so it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• phyve

Thanks Joe...

I've got a MAJOR issue now.

I just tried renaming the QA-Categories and it changed the name of my main post categories too now on the main site. Luckily I caught it and changed it back. This is a MAJOR problem. This site gets north of 50k visitors per day, plus there are over 4000 articles. A majority of the main post categories have same name as my QA post categories so any change ie. deletion throws 1000s of articles into an uncategorized state.

PLEASE HELP!

They've some how sync so now any change on I make in one area affects the other (default categories and QA categories).

I just want to RENAME THE QA categories to something else. Will it work if I change it via the DB? Or will the same thing happen again?

• aecnu

Greetings phyve,

This was certainly an unanticipated outcome if I do say so myself.

I just want to RENAME THE QA categories to something else. Will it work if I change it via the DB? Or will the same thing happen again?

The first thing to do before making any changes of this nature is to back the database up using something like the Snapshot plugin which can save our butts when the going gets tough.

Then try to adjust them in the database as you have suggested knowing that you have a fall back if it hits the fan.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.