I'm trying to get this working and I'm sure there's a way, but I can't figure it out. Here are my goals:
1) My multi-site install is using subdomains for user sites. For example artlauncher.online is the main site, thibaultfineart.artlauncher.online is blog 2, etc.
2) I would like *.artlauncher.online to use HTTPS. I have a wildcard SSL cert and this is working.
3) I would like all admin and login traffic to go over HTTPS (hence use *.artlauncher.online URLs instead of the mapped ones). This was working until I introduced domain mapping to the mix.
4) The front-end pages can use whichever domain was entered to get to them, or redirect to the users' mapped domains...I don't care which.
5) I need to have certain URLs (cart, checkout, etc) use HTTPS.
6) I don't want users to have to buy SSL certificates for their mapped domains.
The way I have it set up right now, when you go to test.thibaultfineart.com and click the Sign In link, it redirects to thibaultfineart.artlauncher.online/wp-login.php. So far so good. Then, when you successfully log in, it redirects back to test.thibaultfineart.com. However, at this point, the "Sign In" link is still there. In my code, it checks is_user_logged_in() and if not it presents that link. Therefore, when it gets redirected back to test.thibaultfineart.com it thinks you're not logged in and shows that link again. If I click Sign In again, it immediately redirects to thibaultfineart.artlauncher.online/wp-admin without prompting for log in. I would like for it to know when redirected back to test.thibaultfineart.com that the user really is logged in. Also, at that point it should show the black admin bar across the top of the window, and it doesn't. I have set cross-domain autologin to yes and unchecked the asynchronous box. I would expect those to do what I want here, but they don't seem to be.
Please advise as to which are the correct settings to make this happen. I'm sure it's not an odd use case, but the documentation for how to do it seems to be sparse.
You can check this out at test.thibaultfineart.com (one of my user mapped domains pointing to a test system).
I have enabled WPMU Dev support access for your convenience. I appreciate your help.