Issues with latest Membership plug-in?

upon upgrading to the latest version of the membership plug-in, the viewing restrictions that had been set up have been lost. I am not the person who originally configured the plug-in and that person developed some enhancements to make it work the way we wanted (and that person is not available right now).

The site has 7 levels of 'access' where the first level is available to everyone and levels 2 to 7 require a membership ID/password. Membership at level 2 can see levels 1 and 2; membership at level 3 can see levels 1 to 3; etc.

Every post has a membership category assigned to them (from 1 to 7)

Now it looks like everyone can see all posts.

It appears that the Membership plugin is now ignoring access levels when displaying the main page and browsing.

If someone selects a post, rather than browsing, then the privacy for levels appears to work however selecting categories no longer prevents people from seeing all posts within that category (regardless of the post's membership level).

I have started to disable other plug-ins which were recently updated in order to determine if there was a conflict - so far, nothing I have tried gets things back to what it was.

Is it possible to get the previous membership plug-in version so I can see if that solves the problem?

Are others having problems with this latest version of the plug-in? (or have solved what I am describing?)

• pswilson
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

BTW ..the core Membership plugin was NOT modified at all. The extra development I mentioned was the addition of an admin plugin to extend it. The admin plugin reads from the core plugin's database table but does not write to it or otherwise interact with the core plugin. It has been determined that the core and admin plugins are not in conflict, so there must be an issue elsewhere.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @pswilson

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

If you changed in the core plugin, then the changes should be replaced. But as you said, you did the modification outside of the plugin, that's good. Though I think lots of modification has been done in the latest version.

Do you remember which version of the plugin were you using just before the update? You can download all the older versions.

Go to this link: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/ and then click on changelog, you will see all the older versions. Please check screenshot.

Cheers
    Ash

• pswilson
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

hi Ash

I was using the previous version …

I downloaded Version 3.4.5 and all works again - thank you

Now it does leave the "problem" of why the most recent version, Version 3.4.6.1, was not working.

Do you have a recommendation on how to proceed? At this time, I am okay with continuing the older version ..

Paul

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi @pswilson

Glad to see it working.

Well, I don't know where your developer made changes to make it working. It seems a huge changes needed to achieve it.

It would be best if you could contact him again and may be he can fix it with a little change on his update.

Cheers
    Ash

• pswilson
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

hi Ash

He reviewed what was there and could find no conflicts. I know he has a separated testing environment and when he has time, I suspect we shall install the latest version in the test site and see what we can learn.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the "issue" will be related to either the membership plug-in or a conflict with some of the other plug-ins I updated.

Will report back when I know more.

Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of how to get the previous version

Cheers,

Paul

• pswilson
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

hi Ash

I went back and reviewed the change log .. wow .. lots of stuff there. Not sure any of it applies to my environment (I don't use BuddyPress or was experiencing the troubles listed).

Generally I like to use the latest versions .. and to maintain compatibility with WordPress versions ..

Until next time,

Best Wishes,

Paul

• pswilson
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ash

Would love to use the latest version but it causes problems :slight_smile:

Until I can get it up in a test environment, and give you more specifics, I must use the earlier version (that works).

It may be that there is some interaction with other plug-ins ..

All I know is that it was working .. then it did not when using the newest version .. and now, back at an old version .. we are good and membership levels are working again

Cheers,

Paul

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.