Issues with member registration completion: not going to Welcome page.

Hello,

I have installed the Membership plugin to restrict access to all pages generated by the Woocommerce plugin. In other words it is a members only e-commerce web site. Visitors can only access non Woocommerce related content.
In other words, when in Visitor mode, menu elements related to Woocommerce are hidden and so are any content relative to Woocommerce.

Regarding content access policies, the Membership plugin does a wonderful job - BTW thanks for the regular expression feature, listing all to-be-restricted URLs would have been a tedious job. There is no other plugin that I know of that does it with such ease and flexibility.

However there are two problems with the registration process.

Following instructions, I have set up a basic 'free users' access level, for site visitors who aren't yet members.
Membership is free.
Once a visitor has become a member he has unrestricted access to the full site.

Problem #1

When a visitor registers he should theoretically be redirected to a "Registration complete" page, as defined in Options/Membership pages, which I have indeed created and selected for that purpose.

However nothing of the sort happens, instead this is what the new member sees immediately after registration:

You currently have a subscription for the "Member" subscription. If you wish to sign up a different subscription then you can do below.

Yet there is nothing "below" to be seen.
I have not defined another subscription type and do not intend to. But that isn't the problem: the new member should be redirected to the Welcome page, should it not ?

Problem #2

For some reason, right after registration, when the aforementioned message appears, unless you manually refresh the page it looks like nothing has changed. The Visitor menu is still there. The only new visible element is that inappropriate message.

It is only when you reload the page that changes in the menu are made visible, but then another irrelevant message appears:

Please check the details of your subscription below and click on the relevant button to complete the subscription.

There are no button to click on.
Only the following text:

Member Free
You will pay : Free

(An absurd message, BTW. When the subscription is set as free, "You will pay : Free" should not appear. You should tweak that for the next version of the plugin.)

I have tried both the pop-up registration form and the regular form.
5 trials with different "new members" generated the same two problems.

Could it be related to a compatibility issue with the Woocommerce member profile ?
Could it be an issue with plugin execution order, as both use the same membership fields in the database?

I noticed it wasn't necessary to complete the Membership registration process: clicking on any available menu element, instead of reloading the page like I mentioned above, would show the new member as registered with Woocommerce. It looks like Membership then believes the member was already registrated. Wich would explain the illogical "You currently have a subscription for the "Member" subscription" message.

Great plugin otherwise.
(The member's login/password registered with the Membership plugin work nicely when subsequently entered in the Woocommerce login/password form. Which was to be expected but is not always the case with other membership plugins.)

I am working with a local set up (wamp).

Thanks in advance for trying to help me with these issues.

Gil

• WildT
    • Flash Drive

@JorJ : I have not set up a payment gateway for the Membership plugin, since membership on the site is free. Logical, isn't it?

I do hope that Membership does not require a visitor to go through a paypal gateway in order to get a free membership, if that is what you are suggesting.
    The user experience would be awful.

What I have noticed, though, is the following:

With Membership installed yet switched off, and user as visitor, the account page of Woocommerce is shown properly, containing a registration form in such a case.
    With Membership switched on, and user as visitor, the account page of Woocommerce which contains its own registration form is hijacked by the register page of Membership, which is shown instead.

In both cases registration is done, and the visitor gets his member status. There is no problem there.

Yet there is a conflict during the registration process which does not allow Membership to show the Welcome page since both Woocommerce and Membership seem to be fighting for registration.
    Membership gets stuck, not redirecting to the Welcome page, showing inaccurate messages instead, as if the new member was actually an old member willing to get a new membership level.

To sum it up in a funny way, it is as if Membership was pushing Woocommerce out of the way to present its registration form to the visitor, with Woocommerce telling Membership not to bother since the new member is always registered by Woocommerce first anyway, whatever the form.

What I want is Membership's Welcome page to show, not a "this site sucks" reaction from the user, as it would surely turn out if this issue is not solved.

• WildT
    • Flash Drive

Just tried what you suggested.

First with PayPal Single Payments Gateway

and then with PayPal Single Payments Gateway & Free Subscription Gateway
    together

With a proper sandbox account at Paypal

Same issue

Did set price at zero, flush the cache each time , etc...

Could it be because I'm on a local WAMP install ?

In any case this would not explain why Membership plugin hijacks Woocommerce registration page when activated, would it? Both plugins are probably calling the same register functions simultaneously?

Will now try to deactivate Woocommerce to see what happens.

• WildT
    • Flash Drive

Well, I tried the free s2members plugin in the meantime, and it worked flawlessly at the first trial. It was also easier to set up, at least for my needs.

But I'd like to understand how to make your Membership plugin work as well since I am a paying customer.

• aristath
    • Recruit

I found a couple of similar issues in the forums, perhaps the solution you're looking for is in one of them:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/memberships-welcome-page-in-registration-process-never-shows

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-direct-new-registered-user-to-welcome-page

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/redirected-to-an-unexpected-page-after-member-registration

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/user-registered-with-membership-is-not-active

Please advise,
    Aristeides.

• WildT
    • Flash Drive

Hello again,

I solved the problem thanks to one of your links.

Setting "User Registration" to "None" in Options/General options did the trick.

However I would like to say it was hard to figure out as I found the following indications to be misleading.

If you have free user registration enabled on your site, select the subscription they will be assigned to initially.
    If you are using a paid subscription model - it is probably best to set this to "none".

It wasn't obvious because I am offering free user registration and therefore selected what I logically thought was the proper (free) subscription - that is the "Member" level I had created and not "None".
    I shall be happy if this incident will contribute to an update making this clearer to all future users.

• Tynus
    • New Recruit

I have exactly the same problem.

And the "Setting "User Registration" to "None" in Options/General options did NOT DO the trick.

I'm starting to be frustrated now...wondering that I better not have bought this plugin...

I have 4 levels; visitor, and three more. I am not using any paid memberships at all.
    The visitor has access to all the regular (non member) pages. If I change this to the above mentioned option...NONE OF THE WEBSITE VISITORS have acces to any pages at all!

I want to see that when a person registers, that he/she will see the welcome page, as set in de settings options of your wonderfull software.... but I get the same annoying stuff in stead.

So please just say in clear terms; how to fix this. How can I get this working correctly without that stupid "You currently have a subscription for the Membership subscription. If you wish to sign up a different subscription then you can do below."

Thank you

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @Tynus,
    I see that Jack has already taken care of this on the other thread you've created.
    This thread was really old so I just saw the notification about it, I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

In the future though, please keep in mind that it's preferable to create a new thread instead of re-opening old issues because in the past 10 months a lot of things have changed, both in WordPress and this plugin.

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.