Issues with multisite and plugin

Hi,
i already did exactly the same operation on another platform, and everything was working great. But this time, no idea why, nothing is working and i'm going crazy :slight_frown: really hope you can help me. Basically, i've setup a multisite and here comes the first problem. Why trying to login to a subsite (we choosed multisite in a subfolder) we got the message: ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS. We searched and tried a lot of suggestions in the internet, but nothing helped. Furthermore, another strange behaviour is, when we try to install plugin from the wpmudev dashboard, it does not work, this message appears: ""Installation of Snapshot Pro failed. Most likely reason for this are wrong folder permissions of your wp-contents folder."" Strange is, on the same wpmudev dashboard, when installing a plugin from the right side, those who are displayed when opening the dashboard, then it works normally. What did i miss?
Can you help me please?
Thanks a lot
Daniel

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Daniel,

Please make sure that your htaccess has right entry for multisite sub-directory installation https://codex.wordpress.org/htaccess

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

# BEGIN WordPress
    #uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ $1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    # END WordPress

if you have more entries there, try without them.

""Installation of Snapshot Pro failed. Most likely reason for this are wrong folder permissions of your wp-contents folder.""

Its is happening for all the plugins installed that way or only Smush? Did you install free version of the Smush before?
    Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Rupok

Hi Daniel,

Please let us know how it goes regarding the .htaccess workaround.

Thanks for granting Support Access. I could see the issue in action, but it's not possible to check your .htaccess file and "wp-config.php" file from your Dashboard. I could try checking this for you if you provided us your cPanel access. Can you send me a message with cPanel and SSH access credentials through our secure contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ ?

Subject: "Attn: Rupok"
    - cPanel Username
    - cPanel Password
    - cPanel Login URL
    - SSH Username
    - SSH Password
    - SSH IP
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

Select "I have a different question" for your topic. This and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

This will be helpful for resolving the subdomains not loading issue. Now regarding plugin not installing issue, there could be wrong permissions for files and folders of this instance. Also, wrong user-groups may cause this. I could check this if you could provide us SSH Access. That's why I've added SSH credentials requirement in the message format I provided above.

Can you please send us these credentials so I can check your full configuration and try to resolve these issues? I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolve these issues as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Daniel,

I've got your message in our system but I'm afraid, the credentials you sent there is not working. Can you please send us working credentials so we can login and proceed the troubleshooting process?

Another thing, I could not find SSH credentials in that message you sent. Can you please send us SSH credentials also so we can try to fix the permission and user group options for your files and directories?

Please confirm here when you are done sending. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sending details. Plesk credentials are working, but I could not connect to your server with the SSH credentials you provided, neither your SFTP details worked.

As Plesk has file-manager, I could check your code with that, but as you didn't confirm for which domain the issue is happening, so I'm not sure which one to check.

Would you mind allowing Support Access for the site where this issue is happening so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Daniel,

I checked permissions in Plesk and they look fine for your multisite. Both folders are 755, so that's correct. I want to check another thing in your wp-admin, so could you grant access to your WP admin again?
    In your wp-config.php file I moved those lines

define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );

define ('FS_METHOD', 'direct');

above the /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ line as there should not be any customization after it.

Let me know when access will be open.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nithin

Hi Daniel,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I checked your permissions, and your permissions are right, and it doesn't point any irregularities. It seems like even the default plugin install doesn't work too. That's through Plugins > Add New , and I'm getting the following error Installation failed: Install package not available., nor I'm able to search any plugins from the search bar which lists the plugins form the WordPress repository.

This seems to be more related to your server, than your site. Could you please get in touch with your host, and check whether there is any issue related to server side, when it comes to installing the plugins through your dashboard, ie under Plugins > Add New .

Just to let you know, I have created a FTP account(wpmudev), in order to change the install methods, but it didn't work too.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Daniel

Hi Nithin
    Thanks for your feedback.
    I checked with the Server People, but they could not help me out.
    Do you have any other ideas? The strange thing is - when installing a plugin which is in the dashboard selection on the right site, so immediately after clicking on wpmudev dashboard, on the right site.. then the installation works perfectly. Only if i click on "view all plugins" and try then to install a plugin, it does not work anymore. Also, when trying to installing from the hub, it does not work. But immediately after login and click on wpmudev dashboard, the selection on the ri:slight_frown:
    Thanks and regards,
    Daniel

• Rupok

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for granting Support Access. I tried to install a plugin from WordPress repository on your site but it's showing the following error:
    Installation failed: Install package not available.
    I searched with this error in our forums and it seems like previously some of our members faced this and it was caused by a plugin conflict: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/error-install-package-not-available

So just to make sure no other plugin is causing this, can you please do a plugin conflict test? To know more about plugin conflict test, you can check this guide: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

I am surprised how plugins get installed when you install them from the DEV Dashboard home right column but if we can find out the reason of why plugins are not being installed from other pages, that will describe everything.

Please let us know the result of your plugin conflict test. If this doesn't resolve your issue, we will be glad to investigate further. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Daniel

Hi Rupok
    I think i've found out what the problem is.
    We have Directory2 installed as theme - if i deactivate it and activate for example "twenty sixteen" - the plugin installation works perfectly.
    Do you have an idea how i can have Directory 2 installed and able to work with WPMUDEV dashboard. I'm not a programmer so i have no idea actually:slight_frown:
    Can you assist me?

Thanks and Regards,
    Daniel

• Nithin

Hi Daniel,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Did you by any chance make any changes to the Directory 2 theme by editing the theme files directly? If not, this is more of a theme conflict. If you give a closer look, you'll notice that not only WPMU DEV plugins, you aren't able to install any plugins from the WordPress repository, under Plugins > Add New, once we switch to a default WordPress theme, the plugin install works.

Would recommend you to get in touch with the themes support in order to get this resolved asap.
    https://templatic.com/contact/

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.