Bug Report - Ultimate Branding Email Templates module is missing the subsite override option

from the UB Email Templates module desc:
"In Multisite templates can be set network wide or can be allowed to set site wise template, if template override for the site is enabled and template is not specified for a site, network template will be used."

Yet, at network/admin.php?page=branding&tab=htmlemail
there is no checkbox displayed as expected, similar to what is shown in this pic
https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/html-email-templates-2000-network-override.png

I addressed this in a chat with WPMUDEV Staff Abdul Wajed, who said:

Ok, I am able to replicate the same and I can see it is a bug and It has been reported to developers already and hopes it will be fixed in next release. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/html-email-templates-module-ultimate-branding

...and I basically was like: ok, but lets make a new thread, bcs that bug report was made 12 months ago and my issue is not the same (bcs I don't even see the checkbox)... and so here we are :slight_smile:

Cheers, Max

[and then we also talked about an unrelated issue w/ same module and mixed content issues: will make seperate ticket for that issue]

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello wp.network

I hope you're having a nice day!

There's been a bug reported, indeed. However, the option was actually removed from the module quite some time ago. A somewhat embarrassing aspect of that is that we overlooked adding an information to the changelog and changing module description. That's causing confusion and I'm really sorry for that.

I've already talked to the lead developer of the plugin and he'll look into it again to see whether he can bring that option (fixed) back or if not, he'll adjust the module description to make it clear.

Once again, I apologize for causing confusion and thank you for pointing the issue out!

Kind regards,
    Adam

• wp.network

Hi Adam Czajczyk thanks for the update.

my 2c: without this option the module is not really very useful for many use cases, or only as a stop-gap measure until a more flexible solution is put into place (eg. a different plugin).

Speaking of alternative plugins, can you confirm if the subsite override feature is still present in the stand-alone htmlemails plugin?

I can see that there is still code relating to the override feature in both htmlemails and in UB - but if in UB the code remains while feature is just made inaccessible then I don't know what to think about the htmlemails plugin w/o testing it or reading it closely (which I am not feeling into doing atm, so hopefully you can answer based on experience).

Cheers, Max

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Max!

Speaking of alternative plugins, can you confirm if the subsite override feature is still present in the stand-alone htmlemails plugin?

Good catch! Yes, the option is still active in a standalone HTML Email Templates plugin so that's an alternative. I've just tested it on my end and when the "Allow override" option is enabled in Network Admin -> HTML Email Template setting, HTML Email Templates settings also become available for on sub-sites ("Settings -> HTML Email Templates") for both super-admins and for admins of these sub-sites.

I think that the fact that it didn't work that way in Ultimate Branding (as opposite to standalone plugin) would be related to some other UB code interfering but I'm not familiar with that code enough to go into details.

The bottom line is: in standalone plugin that seems to be working fine so I'd say it is an alternative (though, as always, it would be best to test it on a setup where it's about to be used, just to make 100% sure) and for Ultimate Branding, developers will look into the case again.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.