It doesn't seem to work with multisite/buddypress

Hi,

I have the latest wordpress and buddypress and running a multisite using your social theme.

The problem is that we have about 200 registered users in total on the site that have registered through buddypress. But only the admins on our main site and members who have been activated manually using the plugin: WP Activate Users (Users who failed to activate their account) are showing in the members section. No other members on our site are showing.

And clicking on subscribe logged in as any of the other members doesn’t add the member to the subscription list. (Even though it says successfully subscribed)

Hope you can help me fix this since this plugin was one of the reasons we underwent a complete theme swap and upgrade of our site :slight_smile:

Thanks

/Robert

• Dukeswe
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I would also like to add that translating the plugin doesn’t seem to work either (unless I’ve did something wrong) I’ve saved the translation as sv_SE.mo and po in the languages folder like always.

So help with that aswell would be great :slight_smile:

Thanks

Robert

• isis
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi, I designed a site using Social and Buddypress last year and was able to use this plugin: “Add Existing Users” which:

Allows you to bulk add existing users to a site, including the facility to set their role.

I know this doesn’t provide the fix that you need permanently, but perhaps it will help you to get your users to show? It helped me as I was switching things around with the site I mentioned. Good luck!

• Dukeswe

hmm it seems that users who joined after we updated to the latest wordpress/buddypress have gotten added as members in the e-newsletter plugin section. So it is great that new users get added.

However the issue remains that all the current members on the site is unaddable and cannot subscribe to the newsletter.

Thanks for your suggestion isis but I’d rather not add every current user as a subscriber to the main blog if there is any other way to overcome the problem. Would prefer solving it another way if possible.

/Robert

• Dukeswe

And another thing I found now.

When using the widget I belive the button is supposed to say: “Already subscribed” after you subscribed to the newsletter. Instead it says: “Save subscriptions” even though there are no groups created in the newsletter plugin.

/Robert

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we’ll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Dukeswe,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by

yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live

support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free

to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as

Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello Dukeswe,

I went ahead and tested this out. Here is what I had. A Standard WP installation, with BuddyPress (all latest versions). The studio theme. The newsletter plugin installed.

I added the enewsletter widget to the sidebar. Went ahead and signed up as a new user. Then when I clicked “Save Subscriptions” (which I think is a little confusing, it should read something like “Subscribe to the newsletter”:wink:, I got the message: Subscribes were saved!

Then I went to the backed and checked the Dashboard and the email I used to sign-up for the account is right there. I guess this is how it should work normally.

But then you have mentioned about the WP and BP update and that the new users are being added and older ones are not.

I agree to all those minor things you pointed out, the dashboard still says “5 Latest Members:” and the button always reads “Save subscriptions”. All could use an update!

Okay, this might sound like thinking out loud, but I wanted to bring everything under one post so it becomes easier for Andrey.

The chief issue is: The old users, those who registered before the WP and BP upgrade cannot be added.

One Solution I can think of is, asking these members to fill in the newsletter subscription form using their email and name after logging out. Once they are logged out, they would see the fields. You could create a password protected page (with a widget for just that page) and ask your users to do this, just one time. This is not neat, I know, but it should work. And this is a one time task anyway.

Another solution would be editing the database table used by the plugin manually.

I hope Andrey can help you further on this.

Arun Basil Lal

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Dukeswe,

Just checking it to see if the issues have been resolved since the new update to the plugin Andrey announced above?

If so Happy Days!

In not please mark this ticket as not resolved below or we may miss it. In addition, give us any new symptoms or errors if any.

• Dukeswe

I’ve tested the new version with the latest update of WordPress and I am not noticing any difference from the other version really. Only new members who register gets added and members who was on the site before the activation of the plugin still cannot subscribe or are added to the members.

So still not working for me :disappointed:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Robert,

I have not found anything that this plugin will not do without a little out of the box thinking.

In your reply to Isis you said:

So it is great that new users get added.

However the issue remains that all the current members on the site is unaddable and cannot subscribe to the newsletter.

How are they un-addable –> I can add them manually or using a csv import explained in a little more detail below.

Thanks for your suggestion isis but I’d rather not add every current user as a subscriber to the main blog

Users are always added to the main network being done directly by WordPress, but not necessarily to the main blog.

With this in mind I understand that you want to have users from a specific blog imported into that same blogs e-newsletter. Have you tried the Export Users to CSV plugin to export the designated users to a csv file to be in turn imported into the e-newsletter?

Please advise on this subject in case I am missing something here.

I would also like to add that translating the plugin doesn’t seem to work either (unless I’ve did something wrong) I’ve saved the translation as sv_SE.mo and po in the languages folder like always.

So help with that aswell would be great :slight_smile:

Concerning the obviously unrelated issue of translation, a separate ticket should be created due to it being such a remotely related subject and a whol;e different train of thought required to figure out what is going on there with the translation.

I await to hear from you concerning the e-newsletter plugin and the subscriber issue, and if my solution above does not work then please clarify what I am missing that you want.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Robert,

Just checking in to see if we have managed to resolve this ticket?

And if not exactly where are we with symptoms, errors, or just plain out not working?

Please advise, due to we have addressed so many things in this ticket that I can no longer figure out exactly where we are at in resolving these earlier reported issues.

• Dukeswe

Ok, This problem has not been resolved. Would your idea of Exporting Users to CSV work? Possibly but the fact still remains that the plugin still is broken!

I don’t know what else I can say. The widget doesn’t work at all. Instead of sweeping that problem under the rug and trying to come up with other ways to solve it. Why not fix the plugin so it is properly working for me and for all the future users of it?

As it stands now it does not work perfectly at all.

So to sum it up. Only new users that register on the site gets added. Previous users cannot get added (unless possibly manually or by that CSV). The widget says subscription is saved while it is infact not.

I would just love to have this plugin fixed to what it was supposed to be able to do in the first place. That is being able to have the widget on the frontpage and when someone clicks on it they get subscribed. And if they see the button again it should say something like Already subscribed.

/Robert

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Robert,

I am sorry that things got away from us on these issues due to the lead developer on this project is no longer with WPMU Dev – and I do not know what he addressed and what he did not address with his last update to this plugin.

I am just trying to help get things back on track so that the new lead developer knows what needs to be done with constructive feedback to work with.

The widget doesn’t work at all

This is not factual. It does work. Give it a shot if you do not believe me.

http://test.easystartdiywebsitedesign.com/

My job here at WPMU Dev is to find solutions regardless of the origination of the solution – as long as it works it does not matter if it comes from WPMU Dev or somewhere else i.e. WordPress repository etc.

Cheers, Joe

Dev Note: Plugin announces upon successful subscription that “You are subscribed successfully!” would be better put “You have successfully subscribed!”. If a subscriber has already subscribed and they try to re-subscribe – it does not mention that they have already subscribed. When the plugin is activated it does not include current site users – though I am not sure if this is fixable since it was supposed to incorporate double opt-in to protect from spam complaints and then therefore these in fact would not be double opt-in.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Robert,

I totally agree I hope the new release will work without problems though of course we expect the best while at the same time know that every possible configuration cannot be tested and considered and that it will be necessary to rely on member feedback if there are issues for quick resolution.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Robert,

Just checking in to let you know that I spoke with the new lead developer of the e-Newsletter plugin Cole who in fact told me that he is working on the new release of this plugin though I could not pin him down on when it will be released.

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers, Joe

• twicealive
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Guys,

I’m not having any issues with the plugin, but if you are planning some upgrades to the e-newsletter plugin, maybe you could consider adding the ability to display the user profile fields (even any custom profile fields that may have been added to the users profile) and then having a way to filter and sort the list by demographics? I would like the ability to add these sorted users to a Group.

Also, another idea, how about the ability to schedule the flight time for each saved newsletter?

Thanks,

Michael

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and feature requests.

I will certainly see about bringing these requests to the lead developers attention though it may also be in your best interest to submit your requests in the applicable area being accessed via the read banner in the bottom right corner of your screen that says Request a new plugin, theme or service.

Cheers, Joe

• ismamartinez
    • Flash Drive

Hey guys,

Thanks for your work.

Perhaps I am asking again the same question that started this thread, if so sorry, but my question is this:

My wpmu site has more than 250 blogs registered, obviously each blog has at least one registered user (actually I have 286 registered users), but when I installed the e-newsletter plugin only shows 26 members. I would like to send the newsletter to all of them in order to keep them informed about new features on their blogs and stuff.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Heya Ismamarinez,

Apologies to have missed your last message, perhaps you did not mark this as not resolved. I have marked it as not resolved now.

I am also going to send a note to our lead dev for some feedback on this thread as I am unable to replicate this situation on my lab site.

This might take longer than usual and I would be waiting along with you for the a response from Cole :slight_smile:

Cheers

PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @ismamartinez,

As per the latest update I received from our Lead Dev Cole, he is still working on a multisite compatible version of the plugin with some cool features.

Apologies that I can not provide you and ETA for the launch, but rest assured, this thread is being followed upon internally and we are on top of it.

Cheers

PC

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ismamartinez,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

Why is no longer active?

The originator of the ticket is indeed inactive as indicated by their icon above.

I am still waiting for Cole to finish it.

Or did I miss something and the plugin is done?

This is not relative to the ticket if Cole finishes the plugin or not, what is relevant is that Cole has acknowledged:

Network wide subscription management is now in the works as well as a few other features. Couldn’t give timeline for specifics but I will keep everyone updated as we get closer.

This is not a trouble ticket any longer for support to deal with and at best is a feature request.

However, if you are indeed having a problem, please feel free to open your own ticket and to copy and paste anything relative from this ticket to the new one.

But feature requests are certainly not trouble tickets.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.