Access Problems

Hi,
I've been receiving emails from you over the past few days telling me that my site is inaccessible (returning HTTP status 500), then back up, the inaccessible again.

I logged the problem with my hosting company but, some two weeks later, nothing has happened. Would somebody be able to take a look and help me resolve this issue?

I've read on your site that it saves time if access credentials are given, but I've also read that this message will be posted on a public forum so not to include them here. So how do I pass them to you and keep them confidential?

Thanks

Amanda

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Amanda,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Did your host addressed your questions about that already or did they ignore it? Can you confirm that the site was indeed down for a while or is it based solely on the e-mail reports that you were getting? Let me know please!

As for access. If the site is up and running please just grant us a support access to it using our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin. Here's a guide on how to do this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Millie

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

My site suddenly kept timing out. I contacted the hosting company, but the issue wasn't resolved. I tried to sort it out myself, but I think that just made matters worse:slight_frown:

I do have a backup which I've asked the hosting company to restore, but they've done nothing.

Now when I try to access the site I get the message "Error establishing a database connection".

I take it this is a hosting issue?

Regards

Amanda

• Dimitris

Hey there Millie,

hope you're doing good even though you don't have such good news! :unamused:

I do have a backup which I've asked the hosting company to restore, but they've done nothing.

Is this backup been made when your site was working (despite the HummingBird downtime emails)? Could this actually revert to a working state?

Are your hosting provider going to restore this for you or their part on this is over by now?

Please advise!

Now when I try to access the site I get the message "Error establishing a database connection".

WordPress is trying to connect with a database through the credentials that can be found (and set) in wp-config.php file (among other settings as well). For example, these are the appropriate settings for a local test installation of mine.

// ** MySQL settings ** //
    /** The name of the database for WordPress */
    define('DB_NAME', 'sandbox');
    /** MySQL database username */
    define('DB_USER', 'wp');
    /** MySQL database password */
    define('DB_PASSWORD', 'wp');
    /** MySQL hostname */
    define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');
    /** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    /** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');

This means that the credentials you have in wp-config.php file of your installation are not correct, your hosting provider can offer you some insights on this indeed! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris