I've downloaded my

Hello
I've downloaded my member file. I have just over 40,000 members. The Ning import tool imports 5 at a time. I tested it last night with half the list, and it is still importing (only imported 10,000 after 13 hours).

My question is - is there a way to import all my members faster? I thought I read somewhere about being able to upload the csv file.

Any insight would be appreciated.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The plugin is "hard coded" to process import in batches of five records. There is a way to "hack" a plugin to make it process them faster and to do this you'd need to edit plugin file. Here's what would need to be changed:

in a "/plugins/ning-buddypress-importer/includes/ning-buddypress-importer.php" file around line number 152 you should find this code:

//only do 5 users at a time
    	$users = array_slice( $users, $count, 5 );

Replacing "5" value with e.g. "10" or "20" should speed up the process. I wouldn't recommend doing that though because I'm not sure how this will affect ongoing process on your site and also "5" is a "safe" value while a bigger bunch may eventually cause script to time out due to PHP restrictions on some setups.

I realize that's quite inconvenient but since you most likely need to go through the process only once it may be better to give it some more time to complete :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Mark

So I went ahead and tried to import my 40,000 + csv file of members and received this error message.

Importing Members...

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 5121 bytes) in /home/content/a2pnexwpnas03_data02/13/3565613/html/wp-content/plugins/ning-buddypress-importer/includes/ning-buddypress-importer.php on line 104

Is there a way to upload the csv via ftp? If so, what is the path and what exactly do I do?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark!

It seems that the plugin consumed all available PHP memory due to the size of the file. If the file seems to be to big you may try following way:

- rename the file to "ning-export.csv"
    - upload it to the "/wp-content/uploads" folder of your site

Ning Importer should then detect that the file is there and let you run it. I think however that it may be good to run that import in "parts". The CSV format is just a text file so you should be able to easily split it to two or three smaller files and then import them one by one. If uploading the entire file via FTP doesn't help you could give that way a try.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.