I've encounterede a serious problem with the Membership

I’ve encounterede a serious problem with the Membership plugin. I asked a friend to register as a subscriber and he found that this gave him access to the whole WordPress site which he could ediit at will. He gets the standard WordPress balck edit bar across the top of the Welcome page. Yet, when I check under Membership>All Members>Edit Members I find he is not even registered as a subscriber, only his username and email address has been logged in the database.

• Ivan
    • HummingBird

Hey Steve,

Hope you are well today!

There should be some role for the user when you visit WP Admin -> Membership -> All members -> Edit on member name

The member might have "Subscriber" role – which is the basic one, if so he would be able to visit the WordPress backend, but there is not much he can do. Please see the attached screenshot.

There is another role called "No role for this site", but then I am not even able to see the backend.

It is not possible you user to haven't assigned role.

Another reason that this might happen is to have access level with allowed administration management. You could check access levels in WP Admin -> Membership -> Access Levels. Check which access level this user is assigned to, and see if there is any positive rules for administration added to this level.

Let me know if this helps.

Ivan

• Steve
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Ivan, thanks for the quick response. Yes, in the main WordPress dashboard (ouitside Membership plugin) he is regsitered as a “Subscriber”. But the problem is this, he was anew user, he just arrived at the site, registered through the membership plugin with username and email address and was automatically given full access rights to WordPress. Check it for yourself at http://www.originenergy.org

• Steve
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Ivan,

I deactivated the plugin while I looked at options. When you logged-in it was not running. If you try again, you will see what I mean. When you login, you come to the backend of the WP site and I just want people to see the site, not the WP stuff. By the way, is it possible to alter the WP logo and to add extra fields in the registration process?

Steve

• Steve
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your continued help. Your details are still in the database so you should have access. I’ll delete them so that you can register again. Is it possible to customise the WP login screen? I’ve tried several plugins but they don’t seem to work in tandem with the Membership plugin. I would also like to amend the default subscription text of the Membership plugin. We need to register two different investor types for legal purposes, as you will see, but without taking money from them at this stage. Each member type receives different information to inform their investor choices. I was unable (due to my lack of knowledge) to use the Membership plugin to display only the relevant information to each investor-type but I got round this by setting up a new site for each one and then asking them to subscribe to that one site. However, the wording of the standard subscription panel is not quite right. We will at some stage allow each investor-type to invest in different projects but at this stage all they need to do is register an interest and get access to the correct information.

Steve

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Steve,

Hope you’re doing well today! Working alongside Ivan here.

Went over your post here and hopefully I’m all caught up!

If you want to additional registration fields then the best way to do that is to use BuddyPress as well and only use the Extended Profile componenet. This allows you to create custom fields that will be shown in the Membership registration :slight_smile:

Is it possible to customise the WP login screen?

Do you want to just replace the image? You can do that with our Ultimate Branding plugin and the “Login Image” module.

there is also a custom CSS for the login page module so you can add your own custom styles.

I would also like to amend the default subscription text of the Membership plugin.

You can change the subscription text for each subscription inside the subscription edit screen :slight_smile:

Are you still having any issues with your users signing up? As far as having too many permissions?

Also, you can always make the membership free then have them pay later.

Let me know what you think here Steve! More than happy to assist further.

All the best,

Tyler

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @steve,

You could use the WordPress translation system to change the wording there.

To do that, open your wp-config.php file and look for this line:

define('WPLANG', '');

change it to this:

define('WPLANG', 'en_US');

Then install these 2 plugins on your site: https://wordpress.org/plugins/codestyling-localization/ and https://wordpress.org/plugins/codestyling-localization-preserver/

The 1st one helps you translate the strings of all themes and plugins on your site and the 2nd one makes sure that the translations persist if you update the plugins/themes on your site.

Once you install these 2 you will be able to translate these and change their wording to whatever you wish (don’t forget to click the “generate .mo file” button once you translate these strings).

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Ari.

• jamie
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

You can use Theme My Login plugin to create custom login to match your theme as well as other features.

Also, Hide Admin Bar From Non-admins, plugin to remove the admin bar for non admins.

These are the first two plugins I install on a WP site. Granted they are not custom code, but they seem to work for many.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.