I've tried to use the domain mapping plugin a couple

I've tried to use the domain mapping plugin a couple of times, even with the stellar support from WPMU I couldn't git it working on my set up.

Just to confirm, for the Domain Mapping plugin to work, the IP address of the server needs to resolve to /server/folderforwordpress

So if I type the IP in a browser I should see the Hello World! post.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Mike,

Exactly. If you are using the A Record mapping method then you will need a dedicated IP address and have it point to the root of your installation. When you type in your sites IP address to the address bar are you seeing your site?

Look forward to your reply here.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Mike_Rawlins
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the response.

Just as I thought.

The server does have a dedicated IP but when I type in the IP to the browser I get 404 'Not Found' and not the WordPress install. Which is what I want if I am hosting a number of different sites on the server

I will be using the server solely for WordPress installs but it needs to be a mix of WordPress networked sites and some stand alone sites.

Now I know that Domain Mapping won't work in this environment I can just work on splitting the installs in to networked and stand alone sites then move one of them to a new server.

Cheers

Mike

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Mike,

Even if the DocumentRoot isn't pointed to your primary installation, you can still domain map subsites via parked or add-on domains :slight_smile:

This involves transferring the domain to your webhost with the nameservers instead of using the A record to point to your installation.

Once the add-on or parked domain is created and the domain is transferred to your webhost then the mapping should work as expected.

There is further explanation on that method in the usage guide: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage about three quarters of the way down under the heading "Addon vs Parked".

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Mike_Rawlins
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Tyler,

I'll have a look and see how this works. The domain is held with one hosting company and the web server with another so I'll need to look at how these settings translate between the two.

I've already set the DNS with my domain host to the IP of my server, which we now know won't work, so I need to work out how to 'park' it, would a simple http redirect to the home folder on my server do it?

Let's go play!

Mike

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @Mike_Rawlins, I hope you're well today!

If you don't have a dedicated IP, then this will not work.
    What the dedicated IP does is point all incoming traffic to your WordPress installation (provided of course that your WordPress installation is on the root folder of your webserver - usually httdocs, www or similar).

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.