Jetpack - install hangs when trying to update

I have Jetpack installed on multiple sites, some of which are multi-site installs. I have never had a problem with it until I tried updating it on one of my multi-site installs and it just hangs. I've tried re-installing WordPress, deleting Jetpack and reinstalling, etc. The only way I can get it to work is to literally delete the files in the plugins directory and copy the newest version in there myself. Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

For production sites manual updates would be better to ensure you don't hang in maintenance mode and that all gets updated.

I wonder if in this instance you are hitting your phps memory issue and it's that failing the update. You could try one of the following.

You could edit your php.ini file or add your own (depending on setup):

memory_limit = 256M

httaccess:

php_value memory_limit 256M

If your PHP supports then you can edit your wp-config.php file and add the following line:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '96MB');

If you are not sure how or have further issues then it would be best to ask your host to help you out with this one.

Maybe double or tripple up your memory to test.

Let me know.

Take care.

• Zyniker
    • WordPress Warrior

I've had slowness with recent Jetpack updates on a number of my sites as well (though I've had only one time out thus far). I was inclined toward blaming the increased traffic to WordPress's servers due to the release of 3.5 and the upgrades to Jetpack and Akismet coming right after, but maybe it's something more.

• Chris G. Clapp
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

As long as I download it to my local machine and then upload it manually into the plugins directory, it works fine. It still isn't installing correctly and I'm starting to have other problems. Thinking of deactivating all of my plugins and activating them one by one to see if that's causing the problem, especially as now it seems to be having even more problems.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris G. Clapp,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Thank you for letting us know and for posting how you managed to get this item resolved.

Sometimes it is indeed a smart idea to clean house with a fresh install.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT upcoming weekend!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.