Jobs & Experts Customization

I am setting up the J&E plugin and attempting to customize, but cannot find the customization interface. It appears none exists, so I'll need to manually edit the code. If I edit the code of the plugin, any update pushed by WPMUDev would wipe my changes, so this is obviously not a good solution. Any advice would be great.

My goal is to...
-Correct the typo, "Add a Expert" should be "Add an Expert"
-Remove the 'Browse Jobs Browse Experts Post a Job Add an Expert' line as its bottom spacing is broken and it would make more sense as a sidebar anyway.
-Remove avatars from Experts, as that's frowned upon in the US.
-Expand Location to include State, City, and maybe Zip Code.
-Set Biography, Social, and Skill as three different page sections, not concealing several with tabs.
-Remove nearly all of the Social options, as most of them are virtually unused.
-Import profile from LinkedIn. (Is there another WPMUDev plugin for this?)
-Figure out why the "Attach specs" resume attachment feature isn't working.

Should I wait for bugfixes, or disable updates and address all of this manually?

Thank you!

• Milan

Hello @Robert,

I hope you are having a good day and thanks for the asking.

Dear member many of feature you want to can be achieved by enabling Jobs & Experts Pages addon.

This addon will use standard pages rather than virtual pages created by plugin. So that you can tweak the layout and do many of the customization with those pages.

Once you activate addon you will be able to configure its settings via Jobs > Settings > Pages Manager.

Once you are on pages manager page create all the pages by pressing button saying next to respective page "Create Page"

This process will create standard wordpress pages and adds many shortcodes which used internally to let page work. After this you can edit page and tweak shortcodes by referencing Job > Settings > Shortcodes page.

Now let me go bit by bit how you can achieve your feature after following above process,

Correct the typo, "Add a Expert" should be "Add an Expert"

Go to "Add a Excerpt" page created by add-on in edit mode and then just correct its title.

Remove the 'Browse Jobs Browse Experts Post a Job Add an Expert' line as its bottom spacing is broken and it would make more sense as a sidebar anyway.

You can edit page layout in its content editor with some sort of html structure and place shortcodes which renders button markup accordingly. Furthermore you can reference Job > Settings > Shortcodes page to know which are possible parameters.

And anyhow you want to remove those section just let me know, I will provide you css customization.

Remove avatars from Experts, as that's frowned upon in the US.

There isn't any out of box mechanism to remove avatar, but you can use this css snippet to hide avatar box,

.jobs-expert-form .expert-avatar{
         display: none;
    }

I suggest you go with this nice plugin to manage css code snippet like above one,
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

Or if restricting avatar upload works for you then you can restrict avatar uploads via Jobs > Settings > General Settings > Avatar Uploads based on roles.

#1) Expand Location to include State, City, and maybe Zip Code.,
    #2) Set Biography, Social, and Skill as three different page sections, not concealing several with tabs.,
    #3) Import profile from LinkedIn

At this moment this is not possible out of box, However you can always open new thread as feature request under feature category. So that other member can also show their support too.

Or you can post your this requirement on our job portal where our valuable developer will try to do customization for you.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/jobs/

Remove nearly all of the Social options, as most of them are virtually unused.

May I know which social options you are talking about ? According to your screenshot it seems to me that you are talking about "Social Skills" tabs, if it's what you want to remove then I am sorry but you need to go with css to hide it, there isn't any other option to do so,
    here is code which hides "Social Skills".

a#ui-id-2{
    }

Figure out why the "Attach specs" resume attachment feature isn't working.

Would you please explain me what is happening when you try to add specs ? It will help me to understand issue in depth.

I hope this helps you.

Feel free to ask me if you need help with anything else.

Cheers.

• Hitt-Girl

Hi!
    I know this is an old post, but it really helped me just now!
    I too am trying to customize the look of Jobs and Experts (and make it look more like Jobs and Pros on WPMU Dev, which looks amazing!) but I'm not very familiar with CSS. I also want to hide the Social Info but I'm not quite sure where to put the above code:

a#ui-id-2{
    }

And if possible, I'd like to change the word "Skills" to "Experience."
    Where exactly do I make these changes? In my theme? or in the plugin itself?
    Sorry if this is a basic question!
    Thanks!
    --hg

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Hitt-Girl ,

Can you give us URL to your J&E page as the look depends on the theme as well and we would need to check it out in order to help you with CSS changes?

I also want to hide the Social Info but I'm not quite sure where to put the above code:

Are you referring to Social Profile field for Experts or you're looking to hide something else?

And if possible, I'd like to change the word "Skills" to "Experience."
    Where exactly do I make these changes? In my theme? or in the plugin itself?

This is part of the theme files and it's a translatable string so in order to change it you can either use translation files or our Ultimate Branding plugin and its text change module.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Hitt-Girl

Thank you! Sorry it took so long for me to respond, I've been trying to figure out exactly how to approach this. Yes, I will use the translation files to change the wording of things.
    Just wondering if it's possible to change it per site? (if not, it's not a big deal)
    ...But, I would like to hide the J&E Menu at the top of the profile pages, as I will not be using all items from the menu.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Hitt-Girl,

Yes, I will use the translation files to change the wording of things.
    Just wondering if it's possible to change it per site? (if not, it's not a big deal)

If you decide to go with Ultimate Branding plugin you can activate it per subsite and each text change will be applied to that single subsite and will not affect other sites in network.

But, I would like to hide the J&E Menu at the top of the profile pages, as I will not be using all items from the menu.

Easiest way to do this is to use some CSS on your site, something like this for example:

.page-id-XX .jbp-browse-job,
    .page-id-XX .jbp-browse-pro,
    .page-id-XX .jbp-add-job,
    .page-id-XX .jbp-add-pro,
    .page-id-XX .jbp-list-job,
    .page-id-XX .jbp-profile-pro,
    .page-id-XX .jbp-message-inbox {
    }

Just change XX in the code with the ID of the page where you want to hide this menu.

WordPress offers Custom CSS field inside Appearance > Customizer but if your theme disables this and it doesn't have its own CSS field you may wish to use a child theme or a plugin like this one https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/ for this additional CSS. That way you're protected when you come to upgrade.

Best regards,
    Predrag