[Jobs & Experts] Jobs & Experts messaging addon vs Messaging plugin

Messaging plugin and Jobs & Experts messaging add-on, which to choose?

I really prefer how J&E places a neat inbox shortcut on the toolbar, but it does not seem to have the same functionality as Messaging. (Or does it? I could be missing something.)

My question is which is better for multisite? Should I deactivate the addon in lieu of the plugin?

BTW, both of those activated actually breaks J&E completely. As an FYI in case you guys didn’t know.

What are your thoughts on using one over the other? I’d like to hear it. :slight_smile:

My thought is that Messaging gives users a notification (which I can customize) when they receive a message, which encourages users to visit the site. However, I love the ease of access that the J&E addon gives (right from the toolbar). :x I’m so torn!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Stephanie

Messaging addon and the Private Messaging plugin are almost same and if you have both activated, the J&E will manage the Private Messaging plugin to work. This is because, the plugin will always have new features. When a new feature is introduced, it will be added in the plugin first, and then it will be added in the messaging addon.

BTW, both of those activated actually breaks J&E completely. As an FYI in case you guys didn’t know.

Would you please explain more details about this? We can troubleshoot and try to fix the issue. If there is any bug, we will send it to the developer.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Stephanie
    • Employed By Life Online

Hey Ash,

More specifically I am referring to the Messaging plugin (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/messaging/) not the Private Messaging plugin. (It’s confusing, sorry.)

According to the documentation, Messaging works for multisite (which is the reason why I chose it initially) and Private Messaging is a per-site inbox. This is what I understood anyway, if I am wrong please correct me.

If J&E add-on only works for the site it is activated on then I will not use it (looking for that multisite function so users can be on all (3-ish) of my subsites and not have different inboxes).

As for the breaking part: Activate both J&E and Messaging (not sure if Private Messaging does the same thing, but may be worth a look as well) on WP. Activate “Jobs & Experts Pages” addon (I am unsure if the error happens with the virtual pages). Create a page and view it. It should be displayed correctly. Now activate the “Message” addon and recheck pages. They will now display a blank page. None of the shortcodes will display correctly from J&E with the plugin Messaging activated.

If the plugin is activated, everything works fine. It is a conflict between the two messaging systems. It makes sense that it would break (to me anyway) due to the fact they are trying to do the same thing.

Not sure if the devs can fix something like that. Just have to pick one or the other messaging system. lol (Although I guess it could be a problem if someone was running Pro Sites with the multisite messaging and a user activated their own site’s message system? Just a thought.)

If I was off in left field with my explanation just let me know. I’ll try to figure out a better way to explain it lol

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Stephanie,

According to the documentation, Messaging works for multisite (which is the reason why I chose it initially) and Private Messaging is a per-site inbox. This is what I understood anyway, if I am wrong please correct me.

You are right. Private Messaging only allows communications between members of one subsite not across Multisite.

If the plugin is activated, everything works fine. It is a conflict between the two messaging systems. It makes sense that it would break (to me anyway) due to the fact they are trying to do the same thing.

Yes, I replicated this issue. There is Fatal Error when there Add-on and Messaging system are both enabled. Most probably because there are common elements in both plugin and add-on and they start to clashing. I will check with the developer if that something we can fix as both are having the same functionality.

Although I guess it could be a problem if someone was running Pro Sites with the multisite messaging and a user activated their own site’s message system? Just a thought.)

In Multisite site owners can’t use plugins that you didn’t give them. If your Network will have only one messaging system, they won’t be able to use their own, because they can’t install any plugins on their subsites.

kind regards,

Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.