Jobs Site Plugin [Request]

Having recently dealt with a particular jobs site (i.e., freelancer.com) while doing some development work (and having searched through a dozen or so others), I came to the realization that most of the available job sites are terrible. What this means is that this space is ripe for a well-run and well-designed competitor. Something along the lines of what is used at WPMU Jobs would be almost perfect. It's easy to use, aesthetically appealing, and, I would imagine, easy to administer.

So, here's a plugin request: A jobs site/board plugin along the lines of what is used at WPMU Jobs.

+1 if you are interested. Let's get this rolling.

[This is essentially a revisit of https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/what-is-my-best-option-for-plugins-for-a-jobs-site, which seemed a bit old and muddled for revival purposes.]

• HamRadioDude

I have been researching Themes and plugins to do the same and Would love to have this type of plugin but would need to be easier to setup unlike Directory Plugin. All the features would have to be in the theme that would need to come with it or a short code to put everything needed onto the Page that the plugin would create on activation.
    Also would need to have all the features that freelancer and wpmuDEVs Jobs have.
    So you have my +1 on this venture

• landauforte

Hey guys

Very weird timing. We are about to launch our new Trust website which encompasses the Academies we currently operate. I have been searching round for a solution and you're right, @Zyniker, many of the offerings out there are really bad.

Definitely a +1 from me.

I would be very interested in following the progress of a Jobs/Vacancies plugin from WPMU. If you need some help/advice/feature suggestions/testing from an end user then I would be very interested.

I have lots of ideas based on feedback from our HR staff. For example, I would like to be able to run the plugin from our main Trust site, advertising jobs at our other Academies. It would be nice if I could extract all the jobs that are based at a particular Academy from the main pool to display on the relevant website.

Look forward to seeing your proposal. Let me know if you need anything from my end for it.

James

• Zyniker

Here is a rough outline of the plugin proposal/specifications document I'll be posting (probably Thursday as I'll be travelling all day tomorrow):

Jobs Site Plugin
    Front End
    Design
    Organization
    Service Provider Interface
    Customizable
    Employer Interface
    Customizable
    File Control
    Messaging
    Documents
    Agreements
    Gallery
    Mockups
    Images
    Reviews
    Service Provider Reviews
    Employer Reviews
    History
    Multisite
    Support for Separate Sites
    Consolidation of Sub-Site Data into Main Site
    Back End
    Payment Handling
    Payment Gateways
    Percentage
    Flat Fee
    Milestone Payments
    Administrator Approval
    Settings
    Design
    Organizations
    Categories
    File Control
    SFTP/FTP
    Versioning
    Messaging
    Documents
    Agreements
    Required Documents
    Gallery
    Mockups
    Images
    Reviews
    Service Provider Reviews
    Employer Reviews
    History
    Administration
    Multiple Administrators

Recommendations, suggestions, and feedback welcome. I'll check this thread before uploading the first draft.

• landauforte

Hey

I didn't see it in the spec overview but do you see a way that people will be able to apply for jobs through this plugin? Perhaps either by a built in form engine or by linking it with something like Formidable?

I see us using this plugin as more of an internal thing. So we would be in control of adding jobs to the system, as well as taking in completed application forms. It would be nice if there was an end to end solution for this, rather than the plugin just being a "here's the job, now go contact this company to apply".

If there is the ability to accept application forms (and covering letters/CVs/resumés/portfolios/etc) through the plugin, it would be very useful to provide an export feature so we could download the data in say CSV, XML, XLS, PDF, etc.

If I think of anything else then I'll let you know.

• Zyniker

Okay, since the formatting on this forum leaves some things to be desired when it comes to proposals (i.e., it doesn't support it), I put up the current proposal draft on a website I use for testing: http://zyniker13.com/jobs-site-plugin-proposal/. The password is "WPMUDEV" (without the quotation marks). Recommendations, suggestions, and feedback are welcome.

This is currently a rough and incomplete draft, but it is a starting point.

• landauforte

Hey

Great work on the proposal so far. It's starting to flesh out quite nicely. Thanks for your hard work on it so far.

I've had a read through and there are a few things I think are worth mentioning...

- Do you think there is any milage in allowing admins to add/edit/remove jobs from the front end? Sometimes it's easier/quicker for less experienced members of staff to make updates through a more familiar interface.

- I think there should be a couple of main interfaces in the backend that allow the admin to do a couple of things:
    - Firstly view and manage the list of jobs (active or not) along with basic stats such as number of responses, number of views, etc
    - Secondly an interface that allows you to see the responses for a particular job so the admin can choose to view them through WP or export them (see next point)

- As I mentioned above, I think it would be really useful to be able to export the applications for a job. We use a separate HR management system called Resource that manages our staff so it would be nice to be able to export the applicant's submission as CSV, XML, etc. so you can import them into a staff management system of choice. PDF might also be useful if you need to store/print a single submission to take into an interview or store all applications in a single readable format.

- Lastly, talking about multisite, it might be nice in the settings section to provide the option of where to take the applicant when they want to apply for a job. Some organisations like ours (a Trust managing multiple Academies, for example) may want applicants to go to a main jobs site and just use the Academy website as a satellite "these are what jobs are on offer here" page. Other organisations may want to let the applicant apply directly on that satellite site but also on the main site, and there maybe some organisations that only want applicants to apply on the satellite sites and not on the main site. So the main site acts as a sort of jobs portal that takes the user to the appropriate website to apply.

I hope all that makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll try and explain a bit better! :slight_smile:

The last thing I wanted to mention was TKAT. They are a similar organisation to us, they are a Trust that manages multiple Academies (schools). They have a jobs page which I think could be a good starting point for inspiration:

http://www.tkat.org/27/opportunities

I really like the usability of this section and it kind of explains what I meant about the multisite functionality (although they don't seem to be using it in this way). The main site lists all the vacancies across the Academies and each Academy website will then list only it's own vacancies.

I hope that helps a little bit. I know the plugin we are envisaging will be more complex than the example above but I thought it was a good starting point design and functionality wise.

Cheers,
    James

• Zyniker

After having to use freelancer.com again (for an ongoing project), I cannot understate how welcome it would be to have alternatives to that design and usability nightmare of a site.

On a more pertinent note: I believe another feature that would be almost essential to a successful implementation for this plugin for many sites is CDN integration. Initially, Amazon AWS would probably be the only integrated CDN that would be necessary (of course, it would be nice to have Rackspace's CDN offering as well).

CDN integration would be extremely helpful for sites that deal primarily in software or other design. Even if individual files aren't particularly large (e.g., the iOS on which I'm working at present is sub-20MB), but they tend to add up when you have hundreds of users and dozens of updates from each.

Has anyone else thought of any recommendations, suggestions, or features?

• landauforte

Yeah thanks guys. Really hope you see a good opportunity here.

I'll have another look through the proposal this week and let you know if I think of anything else that might be useful to include.

Just a thought, would it be useful to include some basic stats or analytics, particularly for a marketplace type installation? It would give admins and employers the opportunity to see conversion rates for their job ads. This may allow them to identify issues with recruitment.

I don't really deal with HR/recruitment so analytics may not be that useful. From experience though it's always useful to see stats to try and improve conversion.

@Zyniker I totally agree with the CDN points you made. We use MaxCDN (netDNA) so perhaps they could be added too if it's not too much trouble?

James

• Juanporro

Im sorry. I cannot open your proposal webpage from my office but will comment on the two pics you posted earlier.

I would like to see the following:
    1. Advice center e.g Q&A compatibility for simple and not economically sound tasks like hanging a picture on a wall

2. Categories selection for both service providers and employers (easier search)
    3. Zip code search or within 10,15,50 miles etc...
    4.Cities of a state. e.g I am doing for Puerto Rico so I need 79 cities loaded to localize the searches and separate the ones who cover the entire state or the ones who only work in a particular zone.
    5. Also what I am looking for is not a job site but a pluging to enable people to come together in a relationship of homeowner and worker e.g. driveway construction, carpet cleaning and the like. Thanks

Sorry if this was all covered already or if I was out of line in commenting here.

• Zyniker

Thank you for the contributions, @Juanporro. Categories are part of the proposal, but it's always good to get another vote for a feature. Your additional recommendations for localization and geographic-limitations/radius-based search are nice additions, I'll add them to the proposal later today.

Integration with Q&A would also be a nice feature. That may be something that could be accomplished with some simple linking, but it's worth noting in case a deeper integration seems feasible and beneficial.

A possible addition to your recommendation for a geographic/locality functionality would be the ability to export the geographic information. Both for the purposes of use on other sites and so that members could share pre-constructed data with one another (i.e., we could build up a database of countries, states [aka provinces], and cities that members would be able to use to pre-populate their install).

• Juanporro

(i.e., we could build up a database of countries, states [aka provinces], and cities that members would be able to use to pre-populate their install).

That would be AWESOME

I did an edit on my last post. Please check it out.

5. Also what I am looking for is not a job site but a pluging to enable people to come together in a relationship of homeowner and worker e.g. driveway construction, carpet cleaning and the like. Thanks

This is what I am looking for. http://www.mybuilder.com/

• Zyniker

I would imagine that the sort of plugin envisioned by this request would be able to facilitate something along the lines of what you wish to accomplish (i.e., create a site like mybuilder.com). In reality, driveway construction, carpet cleaning, and other such tasks are really just jobs. A home owner would be able to post a request for a job and those offering such services would be able to post an ad offering their services. From either end, this should work for your desired implementation.

• Mason

Hiya guys,

So in the past month the size and scope of this request have gone up and up. That's awesome. Doesn't scare us in the least :slight_smile:

We still haven't pressed the big green "GO" button on this project, but it IS one that we're currently spec'ing and considering how we could best provide this product to the WordPress market and our delightful members here.

Looking at the large variety of possible use-cases I'm wondering if we should use a "modular" plugin approach. There are a few examples of this in the WordPress ecosystem including Pippin's easy digital download plugin and woo-commerce (which has dozens of extensions).

By making it modular (plugins building on plugins) each member can select the right tools for their niche. No running of code or fiddling with settings you don't want and wil never need. Obviously, all full-access members here would have access to all of them.

We could display them in "packages" of plugins (maybe even have the packages as downloads) so that you get the right base for a few popular scenarios ie. freelancer vs monster vs Ind. company listing site.

If we go that route, we need to decide what constitutes a module and what element it will be in the WordPress environment. Reviews, ratings, galleries, forms, docs or other media uploads are all things that exist in WordPress already or as pretty standard plugins that will work with custom post types.

User profiles is another area that is interesting and rather diverse depending on the setup. For an individual company's job listing site they maybe relatively unimportant (and ultimately this use case could be easily handled through our CustomPress plugin) but for other sites the profile would be central.

Finally, I'm not sure I understand the SFTP/Versioning/CDN elements of this request. You want a want to store and share credentials on the site? Display the different versions of a piece of code/software or just be able to download the different versions? How would CDN be implemented in this plugin specifically?

Most of these could probably more easily be handled via a 3rd party service. LastPass works great for "sharing" passwords via encryption without actually giving the password to someone. There's several third party services for versioning (though if you just wanted to see the different versions uploaded, we could do this via the plugin). And CDN support is normally handled at the WordPress level - such as making your entire wp-content directory or media library hosted on Amazon.

Thanks again for the great conversation here by our members. One of my favorite aspects of the community here is to see folks get involved in helping create what the next generation of plugins and web software is gonna look like :slight_smile:

• Zyniker

I like the idea of making this a modular plugin, that gives the twin benefits of greater versatility and minimalism in the same package. As for the SFTP/Versioning/CDN:

SFTP would be for the plugin to store file (end users would never be given credentials). Of course, this could also be handled with aliasing and the ability to configure where the plugin saves uploaded files, but most users would probably find it much simpler if they could input FTP/SFTP credentials.

Versioning would just be extremely simple retention of multiple version of uploaded files (think revisions to a piece of code) so that the end users could look through past versions to see if they approve of changes, et cetera.

CDN integration would be for file storage (essentially, an alternative to SFTP or something coupled with it). Granted, this could be done at the WordPress level and that may very well be easier for some. I just proposed it as a recommendation for those users who are not currently using a CDN, but would probably want to use one with this sort of plugin (especially if their site relates to development of some kind and would quickly have many GBs of stored files).

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.