join pay to blog, multi-domains and supporter

Hello,
I want to finally setup my project and need accurate pieces of advice from wpmudev experts and users.

I have already setup wp 3.0.1 with multiDB, domain mapping, and a few other plugins such as pay-to-blog and supporter. I also intend to install multi-domain plugin.
The reason why I've installed both pay to blog and supporter is that I want new users to be able to start blogging at a low price, then be able to upgrade to more plugins, themes and performance whenever the time is right for them.

To start with pay to blog then upgrade with supporter seems logical to me. Do you have better suggestions ?

when a user upgrades to supporter, Is there a way to automatically cancel recurring payments engaged with pay to blog plugin, to avoid double payment ?

your insights will be most welcome.
Olivier

• Mason

Hiya Oliver,

Ready to get started, eh!? Congrats. That's an exciting phase to dive into!

To start with pay to blog then upgrade with supporter seems logical to me. Do you have better suggestions ?

Right now. This may be the best solution. I've never used these two plugins together before, but it could work since they shouldn't have anything that would cause them to "bump into each other" so to speak.

Another option would be to use the Pay-to-blog plugin along with our "Upgrades" plugin. Then users could choose the features (plugins) they wanted and purchase them individually for their site. I know many use this solution still.

Also, it's worth noting that we are actively working on a killer upgrade to Supporter. It's gonna see many of the most often requested features built in over the next couple releases. I don't have an ETA on it at this point as things have been very focused on the Membership plugin and MarketPress, but this is in the works.

when a user upgrades to supporter, Is there a way to automatically cancel recurring payments engaged with pay to blog plugin, to avoid double payment ?

Not that I know of. I agree the idea of a user needing to cancel their subscription and then re-sign up for a new one is not optimal. All I can tell ya is we actually have to do the same thing here at WPMU DEV. I believe it has more to do with how paypal handles subscriptions and limitations there. We are also looking at new ways to work around this, but for now I'm not aware of a better solution.

Good questions all around. Perhaps others can chime in here to with their advice!

Again, best of luck to ya! :smiley:

• Olivier

Thanks so much for your answers.
    I'll study your suggestion of using the upgrade plugin since I had the similar idea to offer pay per plugin option in case I couldn't go around my supporter pb with multidb. I know you're working on this one for me too.

I can't find it again in the forum, but i think I read something like using membership plugin in combination with supporter could do something similar to what I want. What's you opinion on that ?

Thanks again.

Olivier

• Mason

Hiya!

i think I read something like using membership plugin in combination with supporter could do something similar to what I want. What's you opinion on that ?

Membership and Supporter are both extremely powerful plugins. They offer a lot of nice features so it really depends on what you want to do with your network. They would work fine together if that was something you needed to offer.

If you want to charge users for the ability to create a site/blog and create content - Supporter's your plugin.

If you want to charge users for the ability to view all or part of a site and consume content - Membership is your plugin.

They could be used together. Say you want to offer people the ability to create "membership sites". Then you could use Supporter for the payment and make membership a "Supporter only" plugin.

These are just a couple ideas. Get creative - the possibilities are endless. Especially when you start looking at adding the Affiliate plugin (with it's new add-on for membership no less) :smiley:

Hope some of this is useful to ya.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.