JS conflict on front end with WP portfolio

Well all in title.

The wp portfolio uses js for layout and that does not work fine on studio. works well on other themes...

works : http://wpmu-blogs.net/portfolio/ (arras)
Does not : http://passion-cheval.net/partenaires/ (studio under buddypress last version. Worked on précédent one)

:slight_frown:

ps : will NOT deactivate anything this is a production site....

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Aphrodite,

That's odd - I'm not getting any js errors with Studio theme on my own sites, but I can see it on yours. If it's a conflict in the plugin, there may not be anything we can do.

I'll ask Tammie to take a look and confirm if she can see the cause of the error on this. If it's our theme, we'll definitely get it patched up.

Thanks!

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

We only use noconflict js now if the plugin doesn't use that then it should be... so doubt it's that. As we can't replicate it's rather hard to help you when you say can't deactivate anything. Maybe if you can set a mirror test site up you could on that. It certainly indicates something to do with the combination of things on your site and there are quite a few. It is not the theme causing this alone it's going to be the combination you have.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

It may be the version of JQuery too.. Studio uses the built in one from WordPress whereas I see WP Portfolio (assuming got right one) hasn't been updated for a little while:

Requires WordPress Version: 2.5 or higher
    Compatible up to: 3.1.0
    Last Updated: 2010-11-30
  • Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

Ok here his answer...

DanHarrison wrote:

Hello
    Having looked at the header code, the CSS is not being shown in your jQuery theme. Possibly because it's doing something odd with adding style files to the header.
    As far as I can see, it's nothing to do with the plugin, and everything to do with how the theme header is being rendered.
    Kind Regards
    Dan

Next ?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Er that makes no sense... There is nothing 'odd' with the way we add styling. If you don't want to add custom styling you can do that easily by removing the header stuff and putting your custom CSS in the stylesheet - maybe that's the problem? Quite frankly what he's saying is very contradictory. He's obviously not even willing to find a resolution which is a shame.

I simply don't get how he claims the way we load CSS is stopping his CSS even loading... that simply can't happen. I can only assume there is some translation issue as also jQuery theme makes no sense. JQuery is JavaScript and CSS is stylesheets.. the two aren't the same.

It's limited what I can do on a live site. If you can mirror where I can remove plugins it for me and let me have ftp access and admin access I'd be willing to take a look but we certainly do nothing 'odd' with CSS. I also can't guarantee anything.

Now one issue may be he calls CSS later than we do with custom options. This isn't 'odd' it's just a method of calling custom CSS - for instance many frameworks and tons of theme companies do this. If that is the issue then you could try putting the plugin CSS file (should be listed in header source file) right before <body> ie; the link stylesheet. That or just copy directly the CSS right before <body> for the plugin ie;

<style type='text/css' media='screen'>
    </style>

I'm suggesting you copy everything from: Portfolio Stylesheet (CSS) Settings and put in there. Mind you it's a bit of a hack approach.

Again he's also not seeing the whole host of plugins you have on your site AND Studio - I'd like to see a test case of just Studio without your plugins if you can get that going I'd be as said be happy to explore with you. I'm seeing 3 JavaScript errors that Studio not on your site doesn't throw which I'd be fairly sure are not helping this matter. Puzzles me why he doesn't look to those.

There is nothing I can do really until you have a mirror or site without plugins as it's site specific. If that happens as said I am willing to work but if you can't remove anything and have 3 JavaScript errors I'm limited as to what can do.

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

There is no custom css in the child theme, and by the way it is the SAME files (themes are shared by symlinks) excepted this :

#antisplog{

clear: both;

}

and up the wrapper level to 120 instead of 100px.

I use the green preset on both....

I can insure you that all is exactly the same. Even put the ads JS control script in the global footer, same antisplog options, etc... seo options are identical.

I activated all plugins one by one to see what occures... nothing...

So it is definitly not theme related.

Digging.... But I look for a needle in a haystack !

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I really don't know what to suggest it's a tad worrying the plugin developer jumps on the theme without investigation. It really is going to be a hard process to work to find a solution but my suggestion is to go step by step even maybe as far as taking your content into the test site.

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

all the content is in it a part the studio text boxes. All is now exactly the same, absolutly the same. Not aware to compare 2 pages firebug ?

unuderstandable.

Here is his last answer, but cannot use this solution !

Looking at the header data for both websites, the CSS information is getting mangled due to one of your plugins in http://passion-cheval.net/partenaires/ - very likely to be a plugin behaving badly.

For any live site, you shouldn't really use the portfolio CSS in the header.

So go to:
    WP Portfolio -> Layout Settings

And copy all of the CSS into styles.css for your theme.

Regards
    Dan

If I do that, any site using studio without using portfolio will have other issues !

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.