JS error on every theme -Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined

Hi, again
On every theme I tried, I got the following javascript errors when I look the page with chrome (and enabled "inspect element")

Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined     dropmenu.js:2
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)  ..../wp-content/themes/black-letterhead/none

I'm pretty sure the problem is on the functions.php file of each theme and more specific at the add_wp_menu_drop_js_script()function , which is in all themes the same and doesn't use the enqueue_script. But I don't know how to fix it.

Can someone help?
I use WP mulisite 3.5.1 , BP1.6.5 and the only plugins I have enabled so far are
BP Groupblog, BuddyPress, BuddyPress Group Calendar, Sidebar Login widget

Thanks in advance
Lena

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hi @stergatu

thanks for posting.

This sounds like the Jquery library is maybe out of date or different.

I can't replicate the issue on my test server. I have installed 3 themes from the pack, including the black-letterhead you mentioned, but do not receive that error.

could you possibly post a link to the site so that we can take a look (make sure that theme is enabled)

thanks

• stergatu
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Vaughan, thanks for the prompt reply.
    Unfontunatelly I can't post a link, cause it's on a development server accessible only from a closed network. But I found the solution for both problems.
    1. For Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined dropmenu.js:2 the solution is to replace in functions.php from each theme the
    `function add_wp_menu_drop_js_script() {
    ?>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/js/dropmenu.js"></script>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/nav.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
    <?php
    }
    add_action('wp_head', 'add_wp_menu_drop_js_script');`

with

`function add_wp_menu_drop_js_script() {
    wp_enqueue_script('dropmenu', get_template_directory_uri() . '/js/dropmenu.js', array('jquery'));
    wp_enqueue_style('nav', get_template_directory_uri() . '/nav.css', array(), false, 'screen');
    }

add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'add_wp_menu_drop_js_script');`

which forced the dropmenu.js to load after jquery.

2. The Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) ..../wp-content/themes/black-letterhead/none is cause by:
    /nav.css line ~52

#nav li li{
    	background: url(none)!important;

in should by replaced with

#nav li li{
    	background-image: none !important;

Please inform the Farms 133 theme pack developer about these two suggested fixes, it order to confirm if they are OK to use.

Thanks Lena

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.