Just can't get things working smoothly :( Please help

hey all~
it's been 3 months already and my wpmu site is still not firing :slight_frown: I haven't had a book sale in 7 weeks because I can't get my site working correctly. I think I have a bit of information overload. Please check out Buy My Book. When you add item to cart, this message appears: Sorry, we can't find the content you're looking for at this URL. Please try selecting a menu item from above or to the side of this message to get where you'd like to go. Now, for this page, I am using the standard wordpress paypal shopping cart. Is it interferring with marketpress?

Problem # 2: My marketpress checkout is not working properly. Please check out my store. Can you make sense of it?

Problem #3: I have loads of spam blogs and spam users. I have anti-splog running so I can't make sense of it, but please see for yourself at the Shops page. What can I do about this?

Problem #4: I am trying to splice off my book promotion page from the Tutuology Blog by giving it it's own site (I have several domain names for my book). From site admin, when I select to add a new site, I am redirected to the tutuology home page. Why is this happening and how can it be fixed?

Problem #5: Is there a way to set up my sites (that I alone operate) to get all of the supporter and domain mapping features?

Thanks you guys, I know I just blasted you with a bunch of stuff to help me work through. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this train movin'!

• Philip John

Hiya!

Now, for this page, I am using the standard wordpress paypal shopping cart.

WordPress doesn't have any sort of shopping cart as standard so can you run me through exactly what steps you took to add that Add to Cart button in? There's obviously something wrong with it and it doesn't look like a MarketPress product page so I'm struggling to see how it's meant to work...

Problem # 2: My marketpress checkout is not working properly. Please check out my store. Can you make sense of it?

Can you clarify what you mean by 'not working' please? I have just added a product to my basket, visited my basket and then hit checkout and it all went through okay, taking me to the shipping info page.

Problem #3: I have loads of spam blogs and spam users. I have anti-splog running so I can't make sense of it, but please see for yourself at the Shops page. What can I do about this?

Anti-splog will only catch spam once something has been posted, it won't stop sites being created. It looks like you have a few opportunities to blacklist words there though - like hermes, jordan and tory burch.

Problem #4: I am trying to splice off my book promotion page from the Tutuology Blog by giving it it's own site (I have several domain names for my book). From site admin, when I select to add a new site, I am redirected to the tutuology home page. Why is this happening and how can it be fixed?

That could be a multitude of problems. Do you see any error messages? What is the exact URL you are redirected to? Have you tried to create a new site with all plugins disabled?

Problem #5: Is there a way to set up my sites (that I alone operate) to get all of the supporter and domain mapping features?

You would simply need to manually extend those sites by going to Network Admin > Sites and clicking on the extend link.

You've had a lot of problems with this site! I wonder if it would be feasible to do a fresh install somewhere that you can move everything to. It may be that you have a buggy install considering all the issues you've been having.

Cheers!
    Phil

• Mason

Hiya tutuology,

You seem to have a javascript error on that page. Let's disable the wp-greetbox for the time being - just to be sure it's not the issue. This may even fix the issue as it's ajax that's not refreshing correctly (items are actually added to the shopping cart).

Secondly, what method did you use to include the MarketPress product into that post? It doesn't appear with the rest of your store and regular products and the source code seems a little iffy.

Spammers are a huge bummer and every network administrator (which is what you are :smiley:) has to deal with that. There's no sure-fire way to be rid of them. Anti-splog helps quite a bit and I can see you've already got a question in there.

It's a difficult balance. You could add a reCAPTCHA image, but you're just making it harder on your actual users. You could implement moderation on all new stores so that you personally have to approve them:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/moderate-new-blogs/

You also mentioned you can't create a new site from within the admin area - but obviously spammers are able to create new sites... that's really odd. I agree with Phil. Check your error logs and see if anything is showing up around the time you're trying to create a new site.

I think you've come quite a way over the past couple months :slight_smile: There's definitely a ton to learn, but I think we can help ya get these issues ironed out.

Thanks!

• tutuology

Hey Phil and Mason~
    Regarding my first concern about the book page and checkout...I have resolved it. I simply uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin via ftp. I downloaded the plugin originally from wordpress.org. I realize you guys can only guarantee the plugins and themes you write. I don't know quite why it wasn't working properly but I just fiddled around with all of the plugins settings and it is working again.

Regarding # 2- When testing (logged out of course), the "continue checkout" and "confirm payment" buttons are grayed out, barely visible (although they are click-able). If this is normal, is there a way to darken the buttons? Also, the little icons for shipping, item, quantity and price are written over by the text (text overlaps graphics). Is this normal?

Regarding # 3- Ok, all clear on that.

Regarding # 4- I have not disabled all plugins yet. While in site admin, I am clicking on "create a new site" link, I am redirected to tutuology dot com. Please see attached screen shots.

Regarding # 5- Very cool (manually extending)....should've figured that out.

A fresh install might just to the trick. I am not confident enough yet in myself to trust that I can do that without further jacking everything up...but ya....I really need this to work all the way around if I want to provide a stable platform for clients. Everything is too shaky right now. It would be a huge risk to secure clients (shops) and have the platform not working properly.

• Ovidiu

some usability advice from my side:

I went to your product page, clicked on add to cart and wondered what to do next.
    I had to hunt down the show cart menu in the menu above your page....

DEFINITELY go for another button or maybe a sidebar where people can see their cart in real-time or such...

and here is some more feedback: http://screencast.com/t/Q5LKo1L9U21c and http://screencast.com/t/qZHzht4C and http://screencast.com/t/N5cL3lPyiwb1

you seem to automatically link keywords to pages on your site? inside comments? here: http://tutuology.com/buy-my-source-book/ check the comment on March the 5th: the words about and store are linked to the pages in the middle of the comment? doesn't make much sense to me...

• Philip John

Hiya!

#2 This should be easy to alter with some CSS tweaks using the classes that those buttons have assigned

#4 is really likely to be a plugin conflict so until you can test removing plugins it's hard to troubleshoot

Completely understand your concern about a fresh install. Let's try our best to work out the problems and if all else fails we can see about helping you sort out a fresh install.

Phil

• tutuology

@ Ovidiu

you seem to automatically link keywords to pages on your site? inside comments? here: http://tutuology.com/buy-my-source-book/ check the comment on March the 5th: the words about and store are linked to the pages in the middle of the comment? doesn't make much sense to me...

....that's crazy! I'll have to find out why it's linking keywords....probably something in my general settings.

As for the checkout cart....yes, you are absolutely correct. It's impossible to find. I forgot to make mention of it previously. It is reachable through the "store" tab in the menu bar. I can't figure out how to customize this as I have not setup the dropdown (as I have with the rest of the menu bar). For some reason, the store tab was pre-populated with the dropdowns of "products, shopping cart, and order status". I would like a simple button that says "view cart". Thanks for your input Ovidiu....very helpful :slight_smile:

@marikamitsos- Thank you for that! Definitely worth trying out :slight_smile:

@ Phil - I'll give # 4 a go, because once that is cleared up, I can splice off my book to a dedicated site. As for the visibility of the marketpress cart (see convo w/ Ovidiu), what are your thoughts?

• tutuology

Mason~ I didn't mean to sluff off your post :slight_frown: I actually just came around to reading it. For whatever reason, my brain feels like mush and when I get stressed about my site, I walk away from it now (I know, not good). I've tried the proposed steps in # 4 that Phil put out there, but it didn't change anything. I still can't add a new site. I have also disabled wp greet box.

as far as the book listing - no, it's not set up through marketpress. I have it set up through a simple wp paypal shopping cart plugin. I am trying to keep the book as separate as possible from the main site, although it is an important segment of my business. I'd like to create a dedicated web page for my book - which is why I want to create a new site. I will also be adding more books in to the mix, which will have dedicated web pages/sites as well.

@phil- thinking a fresh install will be best (disabling plugins to see if that is where the conflict was didn't turn anything up) :disappointed:. I could def. add the cart to the menu. I was trying to avoid menu "clutter".

• tutuology

(sigh)....still nothing. overlapping is also occurring on my other site (tallulahrosecouture). colorless checkout buttons for marketpress, and I am unable to add a new site in site admin with buddypress plugin active - at least I figured that one out all on my own :slight_smile:

It's not a big deal at all to me if buddypress is active or not...actually I think I'd rather not use it, but without it, my shops tab in the menu produces only text. I'd like for the customer to be able to view a list of shops when they click on "shops". Currently, other shops are not appearing any where on the site.

• Ovidiu

I'm sorry I can't help you more but I'm not familiar with the Network theme nor with Marketpress nor Membership plugins :slight_frown:

I just gave you generic advice, as to how to implement it, sorry, you gotta ask the support guys around here.

If its really something generic and not specific to these themes/plugins you can usually solve it by applying a tiny bit of CSS magic.
    You can do almost everything with CSS when it comes to positioning, resizing, changing colors and such...

• Mason

Hiya tutuology,

on that sub-site (tallulahrosecouture) I'm seeing 6 javascript errors all referring to the theme:

dixiebelle/js/jquery-ui-stars/jquery-ui-stars.css?ver=3.1.3"
    dixiebelle/js/jquery-ui-stars/jquery-ui.custom.min.js?ver=3.1.3"
    dixiebelle/js/jquery-ui-stars/jquery-ui-stars.js?ver=3.1.3"
    dixiebelle/js/jquery-ui-stars/jquery-ui.custom.min.js?ver=3.1.3"
    dixiebelle/js/jquery-ui-stars/jquery-ui-stars.js?ver=3.1.3"
    $("#avg").stars is not a function

I'm not sure that's actually theme related though as the same errors come up on the main site with the network theme. Perhaps a plugin is expecting you to load this js inside your theme? That would be weird to be honest and not a plugin I'd recommend using...

Otherwise, the shopping cart button on the sub-site displays ok for me and even works (though tells me your out of stock on the item).

The e-book paypal button is actually trying to add the item to the marketpress shopping cart. It actually does add the item to the shopping cart and then when I click 'checkout' I am directed to a paypal page to checkout. If you just want the default 'buy now' separate from marketpress you should at least remove the shopping cart widget from this page. Even then, I'm not sure that it'll work.

I haven't done any testing with an independent paypal button AND marketpress, but it does appear it works though it appears in the shopping cart first.

Look into those javascript errors though and then let's see where we're at.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.