Just creating a Multisite and wondered

Been reading the forums and had a couple of questions

1) is subdir still preferred compared to subdomains

2) does the above matter if your using domain mapping

3) Can you use www in names with either of above when using domain mapping

4) can a site have domain mapping and multi-domain at the same time

5) do you need subdomains for multi-domain plugin

6) I as long as I am willing to do the work in cpanel, I not need a dedicated IP for any of the above.

I have searched the forums, some posts are near a year old on these subjects and things see to move on quickly, so wondered if info/views had changed

thanks in advance

• aristath

Hello there @Jason, I hope you're well today!

1) is subdir still preferred compared to subdomains

No, and to my knowledge it never was preferred. Subfolders are simply easier to implement if you have no control over your server and it's configuration (for example on a cheap shared hosting plan). For example some hosts completely bypass .htaccess files and make our lives harder...

2) does the above matter if your using domain mapping

No, our domain mapping plugin can work with both subdomain and sub-folder installations.

3) Can you use www in names with either of above when using domain mapping

You could, but it's not advised for SEO purposes.
    Instead it's better to write a .htaccess rule and redirect all www. calls to the non-www domain.

4) can a site have domain mapping and multi-domain at the same time

Yes, it's a very common combination. They work perfectly fine together...

5) do you need subdomains for multi-domain plugin

No.

6) I as long as I am willing to do the work in cpanel, I not need a dedicated IP for any of the above.

In most cases yes. However it depends somewhat on your host... The only way to answer that will be to test it on your specific server.
    For example a client on 1&1 had issues with that, another one at HostingJuice had everything working flawlessly in a few minutes. There's no telling until you try!

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.