Just installed Directory and documentation doesn't match Dashboard. Please help.

Hello,

I recently downloaded the Directory plugin and have installed it to my WordPress site at:
http://southernmdholistic.com/

I am reading through the documentation for the Directory plugin and almost nothing matches what I see on my screen. For example, 'Directory > Settings > Import Taxonomies' doesn't exist anywhere in my Dashboard. 'Directory > Content Types' doesn't exist anywhere either that I can find. Here is the current documentation:
https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-directory/installation/

Does the documentation need to be updated, or something?

Also, my directory is still using the default 2011 theme. How do I activate and configure the theme that comes with the directory?

thanks in advance!

• redgsr
    • New Recruit

Same problem southernmdholistic the plugin is activated but nothing happens. Theme stays the same and there are zero options in my dashboard to access the plugin features. 'Directory' doesn't exist in the dashboard.

I'm running the newest version of WP on Hostgator if you need that. I tried disabling all my plugins except for the directory plugin and it didn't fix the problem.

@southernmdholistic you know something crazy I'm in Southern MD as well, Lusby.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

Due to overwhelming response from members here, we're removing the integrated theme from this plugin - however it is still available.

Navigate to wp-content/plugins/directory/themes/ - grab the 'default' folder and move it to your wp-cotent/themes directory and activate. This will provide you with the default theme previously included by default with Directory.

Also, note that (and I apologize as we should have caught this before pushing the product live) the instructions are now out of date. For instance, 'Directory' is now called 'Listings' in the latest version.

The new version has some amazing benefits of being able to work inside of any theme. It includes a shortcode for showing off all categories on any page by using a simple shortcode:
    [dr_list_categories]

We'll get those instructions sorted asap and again I apologize for the inconvenience.

• southernmdholistic
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks, James- I was able to install the default theme and I have already created some categories and added listings.

http://southernmdholistic.com/

However, now I have reached another dead end because the user manual is completely out of date and doesn't apply to my dashboard

As redgsr asked, where are all the shortcodes at? I think it's a huge improvement to be able to use this plugin within any theme. However, without documentation and instructions how are we supposed to use it?

Also, how do I get rid of "Advertise Here" box at the top?

thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings southernmdholistic,

We understand completely about all the documents concerned are out of date. This occurred with the recent massive overhaul of the Directory plugin just a relatively short time ago.

We do realize the importance of accurate documentation for both members and the support team and this issue - though monumental in nature considering the 300+ products here, are having there documents re-written but it is a slow and lengthy process.

In an effort to get a complete list of Directory plugin shortcodes I will ask the lead developer of Directory plugin to compile a list of them and add them to this thread. Currently the only one I am aware of is [dr_list_categories] as Mason James mentioned above, and this may be it for now as development of this plugin continues to improve based on used feedback since Andrey released it from Beta.

The advertising code is supposed to be fulfilled by entering advertising code of your choice in the appropriate place in the Directory plugin section logged in as site admin --> Listings --> Settings --> Advertising Tab. The box itself appears to be 468X60.

In regards to the removal of the advertisement box in it's entirety, simply remove from the header.php file: <?php locate_template( array( '/components/banner-header.php' ), true ) ?>

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings JAG004,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

It would have certainly been in your own interest to open a new ticket rather then opening an already closed ticket due to the fact that the developer of this plugin is no longer with us and the assignment and response is still set to go to him. (Please Note: Andrey - inactive)

With that said, unfortunately the manual that is being referred to in the above post is the first I have heard about any manual for the Directory plugin.

This plugin is being reconstructed by the new assigned developer and we anticipate his new release to have fixed the many bugs that are in this current version and in my opinion is directly responsible for the departure of the previous developer.

Therefore at the moment our options are limited to having you open your own ticket and we will work through the issues you are having with the current version of the Directory plugin or you can wait with us for the greatly anticipated new version of the Directory plugin.

The choice is yours of course.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• delacrj2
    • New Recruit

HELLO Aecnu,

I just signed up through you guys mainly for this directory plugin and i'm totally lost as to how to get this up an running. Is there any type of manual or forum post that can at the very least get me going. If not I think i'm going to have to ask for a refund.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Yeah folks,

Just dropping to say massive apologies to anyone who's had to wrestle with directory. We've brought in a new developer (after 2 previously failed attempts) and feel confident it is now on the right track. If you have any issues at all do let us know and we'll have a new version with matching documentation as fast as possible.

Thanks again.

• youna
    • New Recruit

I'd like to know an ETA as well.
    I signed up thinking I could roll out Directory quickly, but from what I've read on these boards, it sounds like a nightmare. An estimation of when we can expect the updated version would help me to decide whether to find an alternative or not.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

ETAs are rough. If you can imagine having to rewrite a novel that someone else wrote... understanding how they were crafting the story, but still fixing their grammar and spelling mistakes you understand the task we've given to Arnold. We really can't give you an ETA with any accuracy.

@JAG004, we take care of our members. You'll be fine :slight_smile:

Our main concern is to get this out quickly. We know you all have deadlines and other things to accomplish. We're on it. Thanks again for your patience on this.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Everyone,

Just touching base to let you folks know that this is still a hot issue those with the Directory plugin and Arnold is churning away at his near future release.

Thank you all for your patience and for being WPMU Dev Members!

Cheers, Joe

• webdevcube
    • New Recruit

I was suppose to setup a directory site today and I've given my client the link to the Directory plugin so he could see an overview of what I will setup and poof the plugin is gone. I've signed up mainly for the major plugins and relied that I could download them anytime. Now I'm fried.

I thought as a member of WPMU DEV, I am with WordPress Experts and most important of all are the Themes and Plugins ready when I need them as advertised like what @JAG004 said.

@Aecnu, I understand what's going on as a developer and I'm patient but most clients are not.

Hope you understand. We're all in business here.

Thank you.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings webdevcube,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

I think the pull of Directory was in perfect order considering the fact that it did not work and everyone has recalls sometime or another if they have not paid off the Government, one of it's agencies or perhaps being one of the Wall Street white shoe thieves.

However, all rhetoric aside and to all those concerned, check out this post and get into the new version of Directory on the ground floor, it is awaiting for you to download here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/using-pretty-permalinks-breaks-listing-page#post-221038

Thank you all for being WPMU Dev Members!

This ticket is now closed.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.