Just installed 'Membership' plugin. Getting a lot of errors.

I just installed the 'Membership' plugin on a new site I'm working on. Upon activating the plugin I got a lot of SQL errors (forgot to take a screenshot of them). I deactivated the plugin and reactivated it.

When I go to the 'Membership > All Members' section I'm getting a lot of errors as well.
See the attached screenshots.

• Vaughan

Hi @chris,

Whilst I agree, with development, you should have debug enabled.

please remember, these are only notices, not errors & are unique to the version of PHP you are using, you really should disable strict notices. As they are just notices, it doesn't break the functionality of the script

The problem is, fixing some strict notices for php 5.4, might mean you break the plugin for those users who are using older PHP versions, and for all purposes, our plugins must be compatible with versions of PHP 5.2, so fixing the notices for php 5.4 users might mean rewriting a lot of the plugin code itself, and we'd still need backwards compatibility.

However, I will report these to the developers to look into for a future release, but be aware, the current release of membership is pretty much deprecated and only bugfixes are being worked on as the developers have totally rewritten the membership plugin from scratch with a brand new user interface and it is by all accounts a totally brand new plugin, though it's still not ready for release yet.

Thanks

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there,

Though I don't really understand the supporting of a PHP version that has been released over 8 years ago.

I really wish we could just stop supporting old PHP versions, sadly what we support is determined by two things with the first being WordPress. They support a minimum of 5.2.4:

http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

I'm not 100% sure why they officially support such an old version but I suspect it's to do with the hosting industry which leads me to the second main reason we support this version still, hosts.

I find it a little sad that hosts are not a little more proactive in upgrades, I guess with many customers they worry about upgrades breaking sites. According to W3Techs 24.5% of sites still use 5.2:

http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/pl-php/5/all

Just the other week we released a new version of Sidebars and Sidebars Pro making use of namespaces, we had a huge amount of people over at WP.org, through email and on DEV reporting issues because they were still on a pre-5.3 install. We then spent another week or two rewriting large chunks of code to support those many people.

It was a nightmare!

We'd love to only support the more recent PHP versions, some really great features and ways to improve code but sadly as a business we have to try and cater, those on shared hosts can't easily upgrade without moving hosts which maybe they should.

Is there any information about the ETA for the new release of the membership plugin? And will there be a beta release I could get myself involved in?

We should soon be having an internal beta, but as for a date we don't release eta's. Once in beta it hopefully shouldn't take much longer.

Take care.

• Chris

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for your elaborate explanation, I really appreciate it. I didn't know Wordpress still supported such an old version.

I'm integrating the Membership plugin into a site I'm working on which should support Dutch payment gateways. Would it be worth it to create these custom gateways for the current (almost deprecated) version of Membership or would it be wise to wait for the new version?
    Or do you think these would be compatible with the new version (apart from some slight modifications)?

Will the new version of Membership also feature custom fields for members/users? (Maybe even similar to a plugin like ACF (Advanced Custom Fields))
    This is one major thing I currently miss in the current version. I haven't dug in the code too much to see if this can be easily modified/extended with a custom plugin.
    If this can already be done, then could you please guide me in the right direction? Anyway, I think a plugin like Membership would greatly benefit from such a feature.

Thanks

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

You're most welcome

Would it be worth it to create these custom gateways for the current (almost deprecated) version of Membership or would it be wise to wait for the new version?
    Or do you think these would be compatible with the new version (apart from some slight modifications)?

Personally I'd hold off, but it depends on your deadline for this. If you need this to be done in the next couple of months then I wouldn't wait, even when it get's to beta it's still going to be a little while as both we and members take it for a spin.

Will the new version of Membership also feature custom fields for members/users? (Maybe even similar to a plugin like ACF (Advanced Custom Fields))

I can't confirm it will make the release, but it's certainly a feature that is being looked at due to demand. It may well make it as a included add-on, however there is a lot of other stuff that may also take priority first.

Regardless of whether we will be including it or not, we will be adding many more actions and filters so if it's not there then it should certainly be much easier to hook in if you wished to.

The only way to extend this currently is with BuddyPress, the xProfile feature works with Membership but it's kind of overkill if you don't normally use that plugin.

I think custom profile fields has to be one of the most requested features, it's one I really want to see happen and have personally nagged for it one more than a few occasions.

Take care.