Just installed WPMU DEV, help my direction?

So I just installed the 14-day free trial of this, and I like it a lot. I think I just need to be steered in the right direction to make sure I'm using it correctly, specifically with Hummingbird.

I've always had page speed issues. I just set-up Hummingbird on my site, and now every other refresh or so, the fonts on my site keep changing from the default of my theme to an installed Google font I've had take the place of the defaults. The Google fonts files always gave my minify plugins issues in the past, so I can't help but think for some reason it's an issue with trying to minify them or something along those lines.

If you could give me some advice on that or any other general tips with using this plugin so I can get the most out of it, I'd appreciate it very much! Thank you!

• Alex Stine

Hello Dan
    Hope you are having a great day!

I believe a cause of this could be your browsers cookies and data. Could you please clear them or open your site in a private browsing window?

With Minify, you should make sure that the Include option is Enabled for all files. Then you will need to experiment with the other setting combinations to see what breaks the site and what helps the site. This plugin was designed with the WordPress theme best practices in mind, so it should work fine for a default theme, but third party themes may have issues depending on how they are coded.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

• Dan

Thank you for the help! I am going one-by-one here to see what works...

So, in testing which options work for each file, my main goal should be getting them all in the footer for fastest speeds, correct? Obviously if it breaks something I will keep it in Original, but I just want to make sure I'm testing moving them to the footer.

Will turning off one of the Include/Minify/Combine options somehow be a good thing for load times?

• Alex Stine

Hello Dan
    Hope you are having a great day! Let's get your questions answered.

Also, see my attached screenshots. The Google Page Speed Test tool is telling me there are Hummingbird .js files, but inside of the Minify dashboard, I only see one and it's already in the footer. What is wrong here?

I don't believe that Hummingbird allows you to Move or Minify it's generated files since some of them are crucial to the operation of the plugin. These can be ignored.

Will turning off one of the Include/Minify/Combine options somehow be a good thing for load times?

No, turning off these settings will not increase your load time. However, sometimes you may have to turn them off if it is breaking a section of your site.

So, in testing which options work for each file, my main goal should be getting them all in the footer for fastest speeds, correct?

I recommend trying to get all your JavaScript files to the footer if at all possible. While moving files down to the footer would increase speed, Combine and Minify are also great ways to speed up your site if you see your site break from moving a file down to the footer. Sometimes certain files are coded in such a way that none of the options will work when enabled.

Hope this information helps.

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.