Just installing Chat makes my admin screen go white

I know it's in beta, so I'm not expecting any magic, but just installing Chat makes my admin screen go completely blank.

I upload it via FTP. I can see it in my Plugin list. When I click Activate...

White screen.

I can click back and see my plugin list again. But when I Delete ...

White screen.

I deleted it through my host...and I got my admin screen back.

I thought maybe it...I don't know, downloaded funny. So I deleted it from my computer and redownloaded it...and tried again.

Same problem.

Does anyone know why I'm getting this problem?

• katypurviance

Okay, Chat is definitely buggy!

Wonderful interface...but I think Chat is possessed.

I did a test chat between myself as Moderator in Firefox, and a Test Subscriber in IE.

It takes almost a full minute for each person's post to show up. That's annoying. I have it set for 1 second intervals under the Advanced tab.

But, what's even worse is that Chat just keeps repeating the last thing I wrote for both users. Basically I have a chat that looks like:

Where each post repeats seventeen times (<----NOT an exaggeration) ...even though I only wrote that once for each of my two users.

Even weirder is that it keeps playing the ping noise to let me know that there's a new message. I thought at first that someone was IM-ing me through facebook because it sounded so insistent. But no, it's just Chat. It goes ping! ping! ping! for a few minutes, and then, after a minute or two, I see each user's latest message repeated over and over.

So weird. I'm guessing this is just a bug?

• Philip John

Is the white screen issue fixed now, or still a problem?

You mentioned database issues but what issues were they exactly? Your other thread didn't shed any more light.

The fact that both Chat and Membership bring up white screens suggest a bigger problem than plugins.

Check that the permissions across all your plugin files are in sync (i.e. all the same) and that the owner/group settings are all the same. You can check these easily with an FTP program like FileZilla.

• katypurviance

Hi Phil,

Yes, as soon as I deleted MarketPress, I was able to install and activate other plugins without a problem.

In a nutshell, the database problem:
    1. I tried making some mods to MarketPress.
    2. I broke MarketPress.
    3. I uninstalled it and reinstalled a fresh copy.
    4. My original Store URL Slugs remained in place, my test products reappeared, but nothing will show up on my Products page. This told me that I still had traces of MarketPress in my database.
    5. I've been working with David on this issue.
    6. He reinstalled Marketpress and tried to get my database looking good.
    7. I reactivated MarketPress. The propblems are still there...and that's when I had these install problems with Chat and Membership

In the meantime: any idea why Chat was acting so weird -- it kept automatically reposting the last post each of my test users made literally seventeen times each, but with a delay: I would hear the ping noise incessantly for a couple of minutes, and then after about another minute, all of the extra posts would show up.

• Mason

Hiya katypurviance,

Looks like this one got overlooked :slight_frown: I'd love to see it resolved for you though. Are you still having an issue? What version of WordPress are you using?

I'd note that a white screen is 99.5% of the time a PHP error so a look at your PHP error logs should shed some light on the topic. I've setup a test install with chat and membership and not seeing this issue, so there's something specific to your site - again, error logs may be helpful, but if you can provide a link I'll take a look as well. Sometimes the theme can also play a role.

• katypurviance

Hi Mason,

I'm using WP 3.2.1, BP 1.5.1, and the awesome Edu Clean theme. As you may recall, part of the problem with Chat seemed to caused by the Ghost of Marketpress. I was out of other options, so I ended up building a second test site. I haven't yet tried reinstalling chat into my new test site. It's a back-of-the-burner item at the moment.

Would you tell me how to look at my PHP error logs? When people suggest that I do this, I feel the same way as if someone had asked me to steer a ship by looking at the stars.

Thanks!! I appreciate your help!

• Philip John

To find your error logs, do the following;
    1. Using a text editor such as notepad create a file called info.php
    2. Enter this;
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>
    3. Save the file
    4. Using FTP or your hosting control panel, upload that file to your site. Put it in the sample place as your wp-config.php file.
    5. Visit yoursite.com/info.php in your web browser.
    6. Search the page for "log" and you'll find some file paths.
    7. Try to find those files using FTP or your hosting control panel
    8. If you can't find them, send us the link to your site and we'll take a look.

Alternatively, you could ask your hosting provider if they can just send you the logs, or tell you where they are! You may even have an error logs option in your control panel...

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I see you have "suhosin" installed, this is a security extra which:

Suhosin is an advanced protection system for PHP installations. It was designed to protect servers and users from known and unknown flaws in PHP applications and the PHP core. Suhosin comes in two independent parts, that can be used separately or in combination. The first part is a small patch against the PHP core, that implements a few low-level protections against bufferoverflows or format string vulnerabilities and the second part is a powerful PHP extension that implements all the other protections.

One of the common restrictions in on the is in relation to the use of ini_set. I've seen various issues around the net about suHosin. In some issues I've seen it related to the use of ini_set and how SuHosin restricts it.

Is it possible for you to turn this off and test again to see if it is the cause? You may need to ask your host for assistance.

It may not be, but it would be worth seeing.

• katypurviance

Okay, I just heard back from my host:

As you can see if you create a phpinfo() file, our servers are protected with the Suhosin Patch 0.9.7, we cannot turn it off for the troubleshooting of a website however. It affects the server globally and is a security risk to disable.

I am sorry if it is the reason for your particular code error, but I hope that you can discover otherwise.

Now what?

• Timothy Bowers

Could you create a php.ini file and add these:

suhosin.memory_limit = 256M
    suhosin.request.max_vars = 4000
    suhosin.request.max_value_length = 400000
    suhosin.post.max_vars = 4000
    suhosin.post.max_value_length = 400000

Or .htaccess:

php_value suhosin.memory_limit 256M
    php_value suhosin.request.max_vars 4000
    php_value suhosin.request.max_value_length 400000
    php_value suhosin.post.max_vars 4000
    php_value suhosin.post.max_value_length 400000

If you are unsure how or it doesn't work then please contact your host and ask them.

Let us know how you get on with this.

• katypurviance

So here's what I did:

I had a php.ini file in my main directory. The beginning of that file reads:

; If you would like to change the PHP environment for any PHP files
    ; in your account, make the changes to this file. Then copy this file to
    ; all directories, including subdirectories, that have PHP files in them.
    ; NOTE: If you do not copy this file to all directories and subdirectories
    ; with PHP files, your changes here will not affect those files in other
    ; directories.

I'm working on a test site, where the WP install is in its own "test" folder. So I copied it into the test folder and added:

suhosin.memory_limit = 256M
    suhosin.request.max_vars = 4000
    suhosin.request.max_value_length = 400000
    suhosin.post.max_vars = 4000
    suhosin.post.max_value_length = 400000

Aaaaand..... white screen of death. I removed the code. Still white screen. I deleted the new php.ini.

Next, I found the .htaccess file in my test folder and added the htaccess code.

500 Server Error
    A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup. Check the server logs, fix the problem, then try again.

What should I try next?

• Timothy Bowers

Aaaaand..... white screen of death. I removed the code. Still white screen. I deleted the new php.ini.

Did you check your phpinfo to ensure those changes took place?

What should I try next?

Ask you host to take a look for you.

I don't use suHosin, so this is partly guess work here based on other users out there, not just with WordPress but with other systems as well. suHosin seems to be the bane of many peoples life, but with stricter security (which is always a good thing) can come further problems that need working out.

Some sites mention creating a white list:

suhosin.executor.include.whitelist = bfa://

As your host has implemented it then they would be in a position to best advise.

Here is one example of many found in search engines:

Let me know how you get on.

• Timothy Bowers

Hi katypurviance

They couldn't help create an ini or htaccess file which can sit in your sites directory adjusting the default settings?

The main error which seems recurring in your log seems to be:

[18-Dec-2011 05:17:41] WordPress database error Table 'architf6_wrd10.g' doesn't exist for query SELECT DISTINCT g.* FROM g ORDER BY g.group_order ASC made by require, require_once, require_once, require_once, do_action, call_user_func_array, xpa_plugin_init_action, BPxProfileACL->BPxProfileACL, BP_XProfile_Group->get

There is a trac ticket for this opened a week or two ago:

I still think with all the whitescreen and suHosin issues reported that this is the cause. I could be wrong as I said before.

• Timothy Bowers

I did just notice another error hidden amongst all the text (1000+ lines of errors) in those logs:

[16-Dec-2011 20:10:48] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home1/architf6/public_html/unschoolofarchitecture/test2/wp-content/themes/edu-clean/activity/index.php:12) in /home1/architf6/public_html/unschoolofarchitecture/test2/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 934

That was created as you see on the 16th Dec. Long shot, but what were you doing then which might create that?

Headers already sent are usually rogue space(s) in a php file. Have you tried the chat again since then? And where you running the chat on edu-clean theme? If so then what happens when using the default Twenty Eleven theme?

• katypurviance

Do you know what time zone that timestamp refers to?

I think all I was doing then was adding a Featured Image to one of my posts and trying to figure out why my featured images were only 1px high in IE.

As far as I know I didn't do anything with the header.

Yes, I am/have been using Edu Clean. I just tried installing Chat again. I was able to install it, but when I clicked "Activate" I got the white screen again.

If you recall, at the very beginning of this thread we thought that it was the Ghost of MarketPress that was causing this issue, but I am now using a new test install that has never touched MarketPress.

I'm afraid to switch themes to try installing chat because I don't want to lose my many sidebar settings.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again. :slight_smile:

Do you know what time zone that timestamp refers to?

I don't, that will be set at server level. You would need to ask your host.

I think all I was doing then was adding a Featured Image to one of my posts and trying to figure out why my featured images were only 1px high in IE.
    As far as I know I didn't do anything with the header.

The header error, doesn't mean the header of your website as such. It could be a script being called anywhere on the page. The line number in your error is 12 for example.

I'm afraid to switch themes to try installing chat because I don't want to lose my many sidebar settings.

Your sidebars should come back when you swap the theme back.

• Timothy Bowers

Hi again. :slight_smile:

So, I don't know anything about this stuff, but just looking at my error logs, isn't it the BP Extended Profiles plugin that's causing all of these errors?

You could disable it, but I'm not sure thats the cause of the white screen for the chat plugin. I still think that is suhosin.

I'll tell you what, you have been at this for over a month now. If you wish and your patient with me then we could run a test. I could take your database and your site files and stick it on one of our servers just to test. I would use a spare domain I have. (I have a few)

This will test if it is an issue with your hosting setup, it will also allow me to further debug if needed.

If your site works then you need to hound your host to help you figure out the issue, or find yourself a new host if they do not and you wish to use this plugin.

I'll need your patience as I have new baby due any day now. So depending on when the baby comes this could take a few days or weeks as I'm sure you understand.

Or if you are not comfortable with this, we can continue to debug in the forums. But as I said, I still think it is a suhosin issue and without being able to eliminate that and with no other errors to go on, then its hard to debug and be certain of the exact cause if there are no visible plugin/theme conflicts.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again and thanks!! :slight_smile:

So, if we run a test, will it affect my site in any way? Or would you just be copying things over to your server and telling me what you find out?

I would ask you to create a network admin account for me first, we would then backup the files and the DB and import them to one of my servers.

I would then map in a spare domain of mine and make changes to your DB to recognise this.

It would not affect your main install at all. It would be a separate duplicate install which we would be to see if its a hosting/suhosin issue. And if its not then I can debug a little further.

Here is what you need to note, you will be temporally giving me your database. Once we're finished then it will all be deleted from the server I put it on.

As I said, its your choice and you would need to have some patience with me. :slight_smile: