Just moved into multisite, how do safely aggregate plugins?

So I have moved all my sites into a single multisite network (with some help). I have complete control over them, all the orgs have no access and no skills to do anything with them yet. Over time, I have used multiple plugins for the same functions across different sites (Captcha is a good example). I'd like to ditch all the disparate plugins that are duplicated and go to one for all the sites. But Is it simply deactivate, delete on each site, than add the one I choose to standardize on? Anyone have a strategy they use for this that would be better/smarter/safer?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Davyd,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'd like to ditch all the disparate plugins that are duplicated and go to one for all the sites. But Is it simply deactivate, delete on each site, than add the one I choose to standardize on?

I think there's no other/better way to do this. You most likely want to organize/order your network as much as possible and that's the way to do it. It's worth taking into account however that some plugin will only work when "network activated" (via "Network Admin -> Plugins") and some can only be enabled on "per site" basis (via dashboards of sub-sites). There are also plugins that will not work properly at all with Multisite, however - fortunately - there's not many of them.

The bottom line is that sorting that all out will require some time and quite boring but necessary "trial and error" kind of job (deactivate, remove, install another one, test... etc...). I think though that's the job definitely worth doing and will benefit greatly in future as managing the whole network and keeping it up-to-date and secure will be then much easier :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.