just purchased the premium wpmudev and don't know what to do now

I just got this premium wpmudev.org and it starts off telling me to download the wpmu dev plugin for the dashboard. I downloaded it but then it says "install the plugin and login..." I don't know how to install this plugin I don't see the normal stuff you see when you are working on a website because I have never been here before.

So it just looks like a blank slate and I don't know how to do anything when there isn't a website there already.

If someone could help me, to set up this environment that would be wonderful! If there is a video or a tutorial that tells you how to set up this environment that would be great too.

Thanks very much,
my email is bdilucchio@cox.net since I don't know how to see if anyone responds to this
Thanks again,
Barbara

• Milan

Hello Barbara,

First of all on behalf of all WPMU DEV team I heartily welcome you to our community. :slight_smile:

I Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

First of all let me tell you that we are the company which created products ( you can say themes and plugins ) for wordpress framework. You can know more about wordpress on its official site here,
    https://wordpress.org/

In brief,

WordPress is an online, open source website creation tool written in PHP. But in non-geek speak, it's probably the easiest and most powerful blogging and website content management system (or CMS) in existence today.

And to use our product you'll need wordpress powered website, and how to set up that one ? Well its very easy. Follow this nice guy's suggestion and in the end you should have solid background about wordpress and bog in wordpress setup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiaT4bR3xGA

So after setting up blog( in wordpress terminology, we say site a blog too ), you will need to install this plugin our WPMU DEV Dashboard there. Don't worry about how you will do that now., once you have basic understanding of what wordpress is and how you can install themes/plugin on site, you will find this process very easy, and sometimes you will install plugins and themes unconsciously too. :smiley:

For more information about how to install this plugin you may wants to read its usage page here,
    How to Install WPMU DEV Dashbaord

After this much process you should have our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin installed and activated. Now only you need to login to that plugin. Whoha, you might have wondering what do I mean by that right ?

Okay let's scratch that surface too. :slight_smile: After activating our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin you will see one menu in your dashbaord named "WPMU DEV" with lock icon next to it. ( See this attached screenshot )

Click on it and it will display you form with username and password as inputs. Enter your username and password which you used to register yourself with us. Hit login. Then you can go to WPMU DEV > Plugins menu and install your preferable product.

Hope this helps you. If anything seems confusing now, please give yourself some time to get familiarity with wordpress and these info will start making sense to you.

Enjoy WPMU DEV.

Cheers,
    Milan Savaliya

• Tyler Postle

Hey Barbara,

Hope you don't mind me chiming in here quick. Just want to let you know that I've moved this into our support area :slight_smile:

You may have already noticed that we have two different forum areas:

Members forum: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/members

Support forum: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/support

Any questions you have about our products, installation, setup, etc. you can ask in our support forums and then when you want to just relax and discuss WordPress or anything else you can post in our members forum, which is more of a lounge/social area.

Welcome to the Community and look forward to seeing you around both forums!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Barbara DiLucchio

Hi Milan,

So the WPMUDEV should be able to be used in whatever host I have for a domain and this area is not a development area for wordpress sites? When I bought the membership and then was in that area I guess I thought that was a development area but WPMU DEV has plugins and themes to purchase but it doesn't do domains and hosting is that right? Thats fine no problem I just want to know that for sure. I have been working on a wordpress site in the Wealthy Affiliate's hosting area so that would be where I install the plugin is that right?

Thanks very much for clearing things up,

Barbara DiLucchio

• Jennifer

Barbara,

With WPMU Dev, you get add-ons to layer on top of your WordPress install. Between plugins and themes, it's often everything you need to run some kick@$$ sites, but you have to install WordPress first on your own domain (through a host of your choosing). Upload the plugin/theme files you need to the "wp-content" folder they belong in (themes or plugins) via FTP or through the admin panel, then activate through the WordPress admin panel. After that, you're ready to take them for a spin. The dashboard just helps you manage all the WPMU Dev plugins and themes, enter your APIs, and view any info regarding to needed updates, conflicts, etc with the items from WPMU.

Hope this helps,
    Jen

• Barbara DiLucchio

Hi Jen,

Yes it does help very much! it is confusing because I join wpdev and end up in the "hub" and the first thing it asks you to do is to download the wpudev plugin, which I did. That part was fine. Then it said install and login and I thought it was referring to the hub, where I was. Then it said "add a web site".

So just so I am sure of what to do with what: First I download the wpudev plugin, then install it into one of my sites that I already have but when I am doing this install I am over in my site in some domain hosted by someplace.....so now what does this have to do with the hub? Also if I have more than one site I will need to install the wpdev plugin in all of them right? But I still don't see what this has to do with the hub. Could you please explain that for me?

Thanks so much for your help,
    Barbara DiLucchio

• Titanium Creative

Yeah. I think this is a classic case of the instructions being clear to those who know how to use it but not so much to people for whom this is a new thing. I think clarifying that you install it to your WordPress website, activate it, then login to the WPMUDEV page on your website admin would make a big difference.

There are a lot of people who are trying to put the pieces together and I remember, as I was learning, how many instructions assumed too much prior knowledge.

• Milan

Hello Barbara,

Hope you are well today and thanks for explaining us here what you have done so far. :slight_smile:

You are saying that you are getting some error while activating WPMU DEV Dashbaord plugin. So have you opened new ticket for that ? if not then we recommend you to open new support ticket for your this issue as it will help us to keep our communication healthy, separate and on topic. :slight_smile:

Please do that as soon as possible and one of representative from our support staff will attempt your ticket soon. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps you.

Kind Regards,
    Milan

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Barbara,

WPMU DEV plugin doesn't do anything to front end of your site or give you any extra features to your site, what it does is offer you connection with WPMU DEV site.

For example, you can go to WPMU DEV > Plugins or Themes panel and install our plugins and themes from there, without the need to download them, it also allows you to grant access to our support staff so we can access your site and help you out if you get stuck somewhere.

It also allows our plugins like WP Smush to contact our server which it uses to optimize your image so it doesn't use your own resources.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.