Pro sites plugin question

Hi. Just wanted to check on pro sites plugin. If I am reading this right it is a complete package in itself and won't need ecommerce or membership pro to run?

Domain mapping seems to be the only other required related plugin.
Regards David H

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello David,

If I am reading this right it is a complete package in itself and won't need ecommerce or membership pro to run?

Yes, you are right. Those plugins are not required for Pro Sites to run.

Domain mapping seems to be the only other required related plugin.

Domain Mapping is only required if you want to map domains, its not required for Pro Sites to run.
    Pro Sites can run by itself on clean Multisite.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

Ok. Been looking some more now and also since we will be looking at allocation added space from within a hosted environment I looked at VPS rather than a shared account which could have resources issues in the long run.

Within the VPS which runs a pleask parallels control panel I see that it has functions to add subscriptions packages domains and other hosting goodies. So my question is can pro sites use that or come to think of it, is pros sites even needed given its there already on the server?

I've not messed with own servers in the past too much so it a bit new to me.

Anyone got any idea?

David

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @David

I hope you are doing good.

Pro Site doesn't help you to sell your domain packages. What you see in your plesk control panek, it's maybe you have a reseller plan as you have bought VPS package. Within your hosting, you can create more packages and sell them individually. And those domains or sites won't be connected to each other.

When you use multisite, pro sites help you to sell package for your network, not your hosting panel. You can make some feature available for certain pro levels. And you users will choose a level to fit their requirement.

If you want to see domain from your wordpress site, then you may use our Domain Mapping (ENom integration is included) or WHMCS plugin (you will need a WHMCS account).

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks for that, Changing the A records would be down to the client which might be problematic in some cases I guess.

Looking at this then I was wondering what the difference is between your two plugins:
    Domain Mapping V Multi-Domains

I'm looking at both but a quick comparison overview to clarify would be very helpful thanks

DavidH

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @DavidH

I hope you are doing good.

Just a side note: this is always recommended to create separate threads for separate issue, it helps us to provide better support :slight_smile:

About domain mapping and multi domains, with Multi-Domains, you can allow new users to select from a number of domain names that you control, so if you own blah.com, blue.com, and bling.com, you can offer your new members a choice of domains - blog.blah.com, blog.blue.com, or blog.bling.com, for example.

*Important note: Multi Domains does not work well with subdirectory multisites, as per the usage guide. So if you've set up your multisite to use subfolders, like so: yoursite.com/blog, vs. blog.yoursite.com, Multi Domains is not a good choice for you.

Domain Mapping, on the other hand, will map a domain that you or your user control to your pre-existing URLs. So if a user owns hubbahubba.com, but gets a blog on your site called site36.yoursite.com, you can map hubbahubba to site.36.yoursite.

Ultimately, the two plugins can work side-by-side with no problems, since they're ultimately handling different things. You may not need both, depending on your domain naming needs, but they're definitely different tools.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.