K Tammie, I think this one's for you: How do I get product featured on Network's frontpage

I would like to feature either product or shops here rather than posts. How can I do this? Also, I'd like to have categories and shops listed on the front page. Also, I'd like my community to be searchable on the frontpage (exactly how the demo is set up). Is this doable?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Short answer with regards to products on front - you can't without custom code. I'd also recommend you get this done as a custom job to ensure it's done correctly. You can get this done as one probably fairly easy though through our job board. It's not a built in part of the theme anyone you may have seen doing it was doing it as custom code and experimentation we do not support that with this theme currently.

The search should work as per our demo is it not showing? It allows you to search for things though only if you have BuddyPress enabled.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

ah, I don't have buddypress :slight_frown: I am probably missing out.
    Yeah, Gina was able to get product posted on the frontpage...it had something to do with child theme though (and yes, some code alteration).

Is it possible to get categories listed on the frontpage (like a sidebar)?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

You can add them into the footer using widgets or you can add a widget area but again it's a custom job to get that done.

Gina did her own custom code to get that done we can't support it but up to you if go that route. I think Mason helped a little on that one but there were some complications with it in the end. Not sure how that turned out. It wasn't designed or fully tested to work that route though and currently any update won't have that in so won't test on latest versions of MarketPress / Network / WordPress.

• Fondeli
    • The Bug Hunter

Hope it works, it should, it works on my site, and I have the latest versions of wp & mp!

For the widget have you seen this tutorial by Tammie: http://buddydress.com/2010/04/add-a-widget-anywhere-in-3-simple-steps/

I have been able to add widgets, but I haven't tried on the front page like that.

When I was using the product theme, on the marketplace page I used two columns, one about 20% for the categories, and one at 80% for the products, just did it in the page text editor . Maybe something you could try.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Without adding a child theme, I changed custom-functions.php in network theme by swapping out 'post' for 'product' on lines 417, 424, 564, 571, 661. Of course others might have different line numbers. The code line looks like this: AND post_type = 'post'. Just change 'post' to 'product'. Worked like a charm.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.