Keeping link juice from existing clients site

Hi, I have a general question about sep and link juice. I am not an expert by far with seo so hope i can keep this simple.

I am about to migrate my new clients site to their existing server under exactly the same url which means the existing site is going to be replaced.

The problem i have is the existing site currently sits on page 1 for their keyword which is 'door sets'. the new site has a completely new page structure and new content so i am in the position where i need to keep as much of the link juice as possible considering the new site is completely new.

The question is... what is my best option to retain as much page rank as possible? Even if i only worry about the homepage for now?

I have heard to 301 redirect is the best option but how do i do that when the new site is replacing the last on the same server?

Thanks for any help in advance.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Studio3creative,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

The best way would still be to setup the previous links as with a 301 redirect, it'll still redirect from the original site to the new site, you'll also want to make sure all pages and contents have a 301 redirect for anyone linking in.

This can also be done using Google Webmaster tools for some redirects :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Studio3creative
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi Jack, thanks for your reply. I still dont understand. Do i have to do the 301 redirects before the site is brought down or do i simply place the old site in another directory on the same server when the new wordpress site is migrated? I dont get how the redirects can work when a site is no longer live under its previous url? How does this work?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

You can do the redirect once the site is replaced, the redirects work by sending all requests from the old sites to the new site, so anything that was linked (posts etc).

Should have a new location on the brand new site, or redirect to a relevant page on the site if that makes sense?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Studio3creative
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi Jack,

So even after replacing the old site with the new one under the same URL i can still make changes to the old site? If the site has lost its URL how does this work?

So all i have to do is move the old site to a new folder on the same server and then alter the .htaccess and it will still be seen by google and redirect the requests to the new site that has replaced it?

Sorry if i sound dumb but it just doesn't sound logical to me?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hope you're well today and sorry about the delay here.

Technically yes and no :slight_smile: We're not making changes to the old site, rather we're just creating a redirect at Google for the old URL to the new URL.

Though you'll need the old URL verified first within Google Webmaster tools :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.