Knownhost VPS & domain mapping not working

WP 3.3.1, Domain Mapping 3.0.7, Multisite, Subdomain, Wildcard domain setup

Followed directions exactly, this is a migration of a site from Hostgator and everything else is working fine, then I change my A records with my registrar, give it 48 hours to propagate and all I get is a blank screen.

Knownhost said to contact the plugin developer, so now I'm back here. Any suggestions/tricks?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings nbostic,

Hmmm ..... sorry to hear that you are having trouble with this and of course there are a few things we can check out to see what is going on there.

First we should start with the *.yourdomain.com DNS entry, has that been made?

Is the site on its own Dedicated IP?

What is the URL to the main site, the sub domain, and of course the mapped domain?

WordPress 3.3.1?
    Obviously MultiSite?
    Buddy Press 1.5.5?
    Domain Mapping 3.0.7?

The file sunrise.php in the root of the wp-content/ folder?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• nbostic
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I guess my first sentence+ didn't help :wink:

Yes, WP 3.3.1, multisite

Yes, domain mapping 3.0.7

Yes, *.yourdomain.com (aka wildcard subdomain) setup

Yes, sunrise.php in root of wp-content as per directions

Yes, own IP

No, buddypress

Main site is proscubasites.com
    Subdomain site is newscubamarketing.proscubasites.com
    Mapped domain to subdomain site is newscubamarketing.com

• nbostic

The people at Knownhost created a parked domain which is why it is currently working. Since I want a blog network (hence the multisite install and wildcard subdomains), having to manually setup parked domains is not an option.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings nbostic,,

Somewhere, somehow, the domain must be parked and an "A" record set to point at the IP of your WordPress MultiSite install. That is the way it must be.

If the domain were sitting at the domain registry set to their DNS Servers and an "A" record is made pointing at your MultiSite IP - it should work just fine. This is what end users should be doing or if they have control of their own domain on whatever authoritative DNS server they may have it pointing to and they set an "A" record for the domain pointing to your MultiSite IP it should work if you have the domain configured to point to the sub site in Domain Mapping.

Please be bare with me a moment though ..... can you please explain to me how I am supposed to trouble shoot a working site for whatever reason it is working?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• nbostic

Somewhere, somehow, the domain must be parked and an "A" record set to point at the IP of your WordPress MultiSite install. That is the way it must be.

Yes, it's parked at GoDaddy (the registrar) and has an A record pointing to the Knownhost account.

If the domain were sitting at the domain registry set to their DNS Servers and an "A" record is made pointing at your MultiSite IP - it should work just fine. This is what end users should be doing or if they have control of their own domain on whatever authoritative DNS server they may have it pointing to and they set an "A" record for the domain pointing to your MultiSite IP it should work if you have the domain configured to point to the sub site in Domain Mapping.

Yes, that's exactly how I had it working over on Hostgator, but Hostgator was a PITA, so based on recommendations here, I switched to Knownhost where it's not working. Which is why I went to them first.

Please be bare with me a moment though ..... can you please explain to me how I am supposed to trouble shoot a working site for whatever reason it is working?

That's why you're the tech support guy and I'm just the guy getting the run-around from everybody :slight_smile: They say it's not them, you say it's not you (or there's nothing that can be done since it's "working" although completely incorrectly from an administrative side) and I'm the one stuck in the middle with a product that doesn't work. I've removed the parked domain on the proscubasites.com hosting account that Knownhost had setup. As everything updates, I expect it to go back to not working again.

• nbostic

Switched over to the free WordPress MU Domain Mapping plugin from donncha (it actually looks like it has more features aside from supporter/pro sites) and it worked immediately. Just out of curiosity, I deleted the WPMUDEV domain mapping plugin, deleted the free one, reinstalled the WPMUDEV version following the directions carefully and it still didn't work. Put the free one back on, worked. So I'm up and running now.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.