language and location for services an providers

HI. I just found a load of youtube tutorial videos. Just great. Did you tell me already and did I miss something? I just mention, in case you did not point this out on signing up. You have made a unique product, and all your clients would like to check the tutorials, i'm pretty sure.
I created something like it ten years back, but it just stopped functioning.
So I turn to Appointments+.
I use it for people to book my tourist guide service, and as long as it's just me, everything is fine. But if my friends want to join in, I need a language DB. Otherwise the services lists will be way too long. If I go international, I need a town DB. Hmmm, I just wonder, can I tweak the location param to languages, since as for now, were all in Copenhagen?
I changed the Client address to meeting point.
I also built an invoice section with lists of not invoiced, invoiced and paid and their sums and and automated billing service.
Gotta watch some more videos. Login is still a mystery.
Have nice day, and say hello to the kangeroos. One of your guys married out Crown Prince, you know. All the Australian guests are just crazy when they visit Copenhagen.
bye bye...
Knud

• Patrick

Hi there @Knud

I hope you're having a great day!

Thanks very much for the kind words about the tutorial videos. Our team is quite proud of that too. :slight_smile:

The Appointments+ plugin is fully internationalized and all text strings are ready for translation.

Perhaps a simple way to achieve what you describe would be to create a multisite install with one subsite for each language, and a translated version of the plugin on each subsite.

It would then be a small matter of including a language switcher (flags perhaps) in the header of each subsite so visitors can select the language they prefer.

Would that work for you?

• Knudoboy

Well well, there are in fact client (site) languages and guest languages. Most clients (travel agencies) know English. But they may want to book a tour in french or chineese.
    What I did was to make a table with languages and a table matching guides and languages, so that the search for at tour would pick the right guide. Then I made a table with site texts in three languages and made a switch (session var) picking the texts from a numbered array. Worked OK. But maybe it messes up your set up. I think it is rather simple though. You just need a language column in the appointment, service provider tables.
    Anyways, can I assist you translating you site texts into Danish or German?

• Ash

Hello @Knud

I can't confirm if the language column will be added or not in the plugin, but if you want, you can add it by yourself. Also, it seems you are editing the plugin, so note that, if you update the plugin all changes will be lost.

Anyways, can I assist you translating you site texts into Danish or German?

Wow, you know both languages (+ English)? Amazing!
    You can contact our R&D department from https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ so they will be able to assist your with this.

Cheers
    Ash

• Knudoboy

yeah, you got me there. But the shortcode title="xxx" put the title in a strange place, not where the standard is placed, way above the schedule.
    So I sort of had to tweak your language file in DW to get it my way.
    The next month button I would like to be under the date schedule. But it flies over to the right.
    If I add a language column for the providers and the services, how can a client select that language at the front end. It is rather straightforward to add a column, (and make a language table and a worker/job match table???). But how will appointments+ filter out the right time slots, and how can the clients select the wanted languages?
    I will make a contact about the translation jobs, thanx for the link.
    Thanks a lot for you comments. Your product is really fine.

• Knudoboy

Hmmm maybe the multisite solutions isn't such a bad idea. But only if:
    -the appointments for all subsites reside in the same database. One guide may offer tours in two or three languages. But they should all appear in the same calendar.
    -the relevant services (language) can be restricted to each sub-site.
    -would be nice if confirmation mails were written in the appr. language, (although you might just write one after the other...)
    -only one installation of appointments will be needed for all subsites.
    If this is the case, I will jump into the multisite adventure.
    +
    Thanx for your time.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Knudoboy,

While SLS will most likely have their own thoughts to share on these points (in addition to the ones you mentioned before), I'd to offer my observations on this point:

-the appointments for all subsites reside in the same database. One guide may offer tours in two or three languages. But they should all appear in the same calendar.

This would most likely take a good amount of custom coding to handle presently, as Appointments+ puts the appointments in the database tables for each subsite, the plugin would most likely need to be modified to look at a central database (there'd also be the question of sharing the rest of the data for Appointments+, such as the providers).

Hope you're having a great weekend so far! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Knudoboy

Guess there is no easy way to add a language parameter to providers and services for the time being. But I did notice, that tour guides were mentioned on one tutorial video as potential users. They need language filtering. So I hope it will not be such a big job to add it along with the service and timeslot filters. Actually this is the only thing tour guides will miss out before they would call Appointments+ their ideal booking site.

• Hoang Ngo

Hello @Knudoboy,

I hope you are well today and I'm sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately this is a extremely complex feature and is beyond the scope of custom coding that we could provide.

If you need this feature now, you could try posting a job on our job board here https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

For the idea, I think I will stick with the language table column. What we will need to custom build, is a shortcode, which will output a dropdown of all the languages, when user pick one, it will be add a parameter to the user, and fro m here, we will have a code to filter services + providers which belong to that languages (we already have the dropdown for services and providers)

For the filter services dropdown, you need this filter app_services, and for the service provider dropdown, that will be app_workers
    Example for usage

add_filter('app_services','services_by_language');
    function services_by_language($services){
    //process your logic here to filter out the services with current language
    return $services;
    }
    add_filter('app_workers','workers_by_language');
    function workers_by_language($worker){
    //process your logic here to filter out the worker with current language
    return $worker;
    }

If you have any issues please don't hesitate to let us know so we can assist

Best regards,
    Hoang Ngo

• Knudoboy

OK thanks for looking into the matter. I underestimated the trouble, presuming one could just add a table with languages and a collumn in the workertable and then tweak the filter engine a little bit. The coding above is beyond my skills (although it seems that's what you are doing?). I will consider using the locations parameter in stead. If services can have a language(locations) parameter, and workers can assign to more services, problem is solved as long as I only operate in one town. I must test a little and reconsider a job post. I still think appointments is extreemely good value for the money, and the google-calendar intergration is superb.
    Thanks again for looking into this matter.

PS: If someone reads this and can give an offer for the custom coding, let me know. Thanx.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.