Language installation - where to upload the mo and po?

Hi,

I just translated in Romanian, using the pot file which came with the plugin installation.
I did upload it via FTP in the language folder, but nothing happens.
Please help... I really want this one. :slight_smile:

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Dee Dee

The translated po and mo file should go to /wp-content/languages/plugins folder (recommended). In some cases, you may also try to put in /wp-content/plugins/PLUGIN_NAME/languages folder. Here this is possible that language is not the correct folder, you need to look at the plugins folder and then find out. For subscribe by email plugin, the inside folder name is "languages". But first, put the both po and mo files in /wp-content/languages/plugins folder.

Then go to Dashboard > Settings > General and select the language from there to change. You can also check this article: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-translate-a-wordpress-plugin/

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Andreea Ant.
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

The plugin has already a language folder and the pot was named subscribe-by-email.pot
    I created the Romanian translation and then renamed it as the pot file and it worked. :smiley:
    I think it is fater, plus I like my files organized nicely - and having the language files in the plugin folder helps me to edit them easier. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, will try those steps if something else is not working in the futur!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Well, make sure you keep a backup of your language file as when you will update the plugin every change will be lost. This is how wordpress works. So, your new file inside the plugin is considered as a change and will be lost in update. Safe is to use /wp-content/languages/plugins folder but it's still what you think comfortable for you :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.