Languages clone

Hi,

Do i need to translate marketpress before i make sub-sites.

ex. if i now make a default template with "New Blog Templates" plugin and market press is not in the lang i want yet. and i make a sub-site and the sub-site is in english aftter i translate market press what will happen to the sub-site that was made before translation?

will it get the new languages?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

If your template uses English any new sites created from that template will be in English.

If you later change the template to Spanish, for example, new sites will then be in Spanish but existing sites will remain in English.

To have *any* site translated you just need to add the translation files *once* to the MarketPress plugin folder and they will be used whenever the language is set that way.

Phil

• erikjohansson
    • The Incredible Code Injector

thx phil :slight_smile:

sorry for not asking all the question on one post but is so much things to think about when doing multisites.

this is my problem i making a default template in noweigen lang. and before i get all the sub-sites up i need to know what need to be translated before. as i read somewhere when the template is up is not possible to change sub-sites after Is this thru?

1. does markepresse need to be translated before?
    2. does any of the plugins be translated before (see screenshoot in next post)
    3. if a sub-site add there own theme will the languages from my marketpress be in Norwegien
    4. is it any thing else that is importent to thnk about regarding making a deafult template in another lang.

• erikjohansson

can anyone help me please with this:

I making a default template (with the blogging template plugin) in norweigen lang. and before i get all the sub-sites up i need to know what need to be translated before. as i read somewhere when the template is up is not possible to change sub-sites after Is this thru?

2. does any of the plugins be translated before (see screenshoot in above post)
    3. if a sub-site add there own theme will the languages from my marketpress be in Norwegien
    4. is it any thing else that is importent to thnk about regarding making a deafult template in another lang.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Nope, if a translation is available any site can use it at any time.

2. does any of the plugins be translated before (see screenshoot in next post)

Sorry I'm not sure what you're asking. I think you're asking if there are already translations available for any of our plugins. If so, yes there are some member-donated translations. To find them, you'll need to search the forums. E.g. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Apremium.wpmudev.org+marketpress+spanish

Yes, translations of MarketPress strings will be used regardless of the theme.

No, the template and language don't really cross over.

Thanks,
    Phil

• erikjohansson

hi,

is so difficult for me to explain in writing and in diffrent languages :slight_frown:

1. if dont translate marketpress now, and translate it to another languages later, Will the multi-site that has english get the new transaltion??

2. is the same as above:
    if dont translate plugins now, and translate it to another languages later, Will the multi-site that has english get the new transaltion?

Sorry phil for asking again but i did not understand the answers.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi,

Yes I understand! I am trying to keep my answers simple for you :slight_smile:

1. Yes, the new translation will be available to use on every site on your network. You will need to change the language setting on each site to apply the translation.

2. As above :slight_smile:

Thanks

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

@erikjohansson
    I see you have this post as resolved but you still have questions. So...

i just notcie that no site languages exist please screnshot, what am i doing wrong?

This happens because you do not have any other languages in this folder:
    wp-content/languages
    That is the folder where you must put the other languages: .po and .mo files

An easy way to find those files is to go to the Codex Wordpress.org
    Another way is to go to the specific wordpress.org site for the specific language.
    For example: for the chinese language go to http://cn.wordpress.org/, for the portuguese language to http://pt.wordpress.org/ and so on.

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

i cant find english there

Where? On the sites (wordpress, codex) or in your languages folder?

if i have greek and english plugins translation will plugins change the languages too?

Yes. Remember:
    The .po and .mo files you find on the codex are for the wordpress core files only.
    For the different plugins snd themes, each plugin and each theme must have their own language files in their zip file, for the specific language.

• erikjohansson

i did not find englishlanguages at wordpress codex area.

i have languages folder for the plugins. and in them is need to be all the languages?
    so when somebody change the lang in settings - general will thye plugins languages change also?

what you mean, i need them in zip files is not .mo and .po enough?

so this way i dont need any lang plugins like wpml

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Do NOT mix things up like what you put in wp-content/languages folder and WPML plugin.

i did not find englishlanguages at wordpress codex area.

You will not find the english files because wordpress is in english by default.

You mention greek. Please do the following:
    1. Go to the greek wordpress site. From there download the zip file by clicking the orange button.
    2. Unzip the file on your desktop.
    3. Look inside the unzipped folders and take notice of their structure. You will find the translations for the wordpress core files in /wordpress/wp-content/languages.
    4. You will also find translations in:
    /wordpress/wp-content/themes/twentyeleven/languages
    /wordpress/wp-content/themes/twentyten/languages
    5. Copy those files to the corresponding folders on your server.

Result: You (and every user on your network) can choose from two languages -greek, english- for their wordpress dashboard but not for the different plugins (that do not belong to the core anyway).
    Also IF someone chooses either twentyten or thentyeleven they will also have their front in the same language. Test it and see.
    Please tell us the results. :slight_smile:

• erikjohansson

very nice explantion :slight_smile:

but not for the different plugins (that do not belong to the core anyway).

so is not possible when they choose to greek lang in dashboard to change to the greek plugins also?
    as they are same sort of files .mo and .po i thought that should be easy for wordpress to do?

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

First of all thank you for the rep points. :slight_smile: Really appreciate it.

so is not possible when they choose to greek lang in dashboard to change to the greek plugins also?
    as they are same sort of files .mo and .po i thought that should be easy for wordpress to do?

Actually it does. Try this and see what happens.
    1. Choose one of your sites and change in General Settings -->Site language -->Greek
    2. Look into your different plugins and find one that has already been translated to greek and has some settings as well. Activate it.
    3. Go to the plugin settings. You will see that the plugin's settings automatically change to greek.
    4. Now change the language back to english (in General Settings -->Site language). The plugin's settings automatically change back to english. :slight_smile:

Take note that the same thing happens with themes as well. A u t o m a t i c a l l y.

• erikjohansson

thx again for your time your explantions are fantastic :slight_smile:

i have wpml but is no many plugins :slight_frown:
    so i thought that wordpress have a languages selector like the one inside Settings - General - Site language: - is it possible to use that one for lang switch on front page?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.