Languages for GROUP CALENDAR

Hello.

In the GROUP CALENDAR plugin , I’m searching the way to translate it.

There is a “language” folder but it’s empty.

Do you plan to share the .POT file ? Thanks.

• alstercontor
    • New Recruit

Hi Aaron,

I also want to translate this plugin … looking through all the given info here …its a bit thin…

Here is some contradicting statement towards the french guy “ilcammino”. you state that your info written into the code is wrong ans suggest some file renaming:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/buddypress-group-calendar-104-released

– I copied the default language file,

– wrote my translations into it

– saved it as “groupcalendar-de_DE.po” …

– … into the language directory.

I then downloaded poedit and saved/exported it also as a .mo file…

I also put this into the language directory and still no translations showed up

Another thing:

It also seems that several people from different countries provide translations, why not uploading them here so we spare the hassle … Is there a german translation already?

thanks a lot for your support,

AC

• Aaron
    • CTO

The mo file in the languages dir should be

groupcalendar-de_DE.mo

It also seems that several people from different countries provide translations, why not uploading them here so we spare the hassle … Is there a german translation already?

Noted, it’s on our hope to do list…

• alstercontor
    • New Recruit

There are no settings for localisation of wordpress. you simply piz language files into a certain directory if I recall correctly…. anyway….

the translation files were working all the time as I see now.

I didnt notice… because the sidebar widget which I checked after uploading the files is not translating… oh my dear … I have to put it out and put it back into sidebar to see changes …. :slight_frown:

• alstercontor
    • New Recruit

yeah, exactly this is the shit that happened.

as I realize now, the files were working all the time, but the sidebar widget didnt initialise correctly.

just after dragging it out of the sidebar and then back again I suddenly saw the translation strings :slight_frown:

properly not anybodies fault but mine, but … man … what a mess….

we just finished our project.

dont know where you guys come from, I am posting from europe where systems like Typo3 are the industries standard for open source cms and projects still are hand-coded.

seen from a developers point of view the wordpress universe is full of flaws… starting with a weak technical concept by core/design ending with hundreds of unattended and bad quality coded plugins and also weak support from the more or less amateurish community. nobody can tell you how to do it manually by cod, by ratio and by understanding, but everybody is screaming for “gimme a plugin that fits my demands”… that is ugly.

the advantage of editing directly – on the fly – in the functions or templates is wordpress’ biggest disadvantage: too many “on the fly”-workers contribute, but concepts for long term liability are weak.

its a money-making-tool for the low level market ….

and hey, set up an index with localisation files… peepz pay you money for a piece of open source software in rather questionable quality… know whatta mean?

• alstercontor
    • New Recruit

epilogue: it’s time for a branch. WhipDip or just WPDP = WordPress done properly … and sorry. there is no need to argue if this is the right place for a discussion like this… I know its not. So here are my apologizes … –> Sorry, Aaron… I’ll get over it. Again: sorry for my whing though my arguments are fully valid…

• factoriac
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the plugin. very neat.

I do have a problem with the translation. I am using po and the mo files, and they work fine. The datepicker is aparently working fine.

But event dates and months and days of the top calendar are all shown in English. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Alejandro

• Aaron
    • CTO

You have to set your php locale for strftime() to display the correct language. The plugin tries to do this:

setlocale(LC_TIME, get_locale()); //for date translations in php

Which usually works fine, but perhaps permissions on your server/host do not allow it. Ask them.

• factoriac
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi!

Thanks for your quick reply! I haven’t installed the locales on the server, so it was not getting anything from setlocale.

Now, I still have a problem. The calendar is translated, but the dates and times of the events are still in English. That I don’t understand.

Thanks,

A.

• factoriac
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Also on the calendar display I can only see the first letter of the day. This in my language is annoying because all days start with the same letter! :wink:

How can I get to display two letters (datepicker does that).

Thanks again!

A.

• factoriac
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi,

About setlocale(), it actually works. I have a VPS on Linode. So I have total control on the server. No point of talking to Linode about it.

I am attaching a screenshot. There you can see how the actual calendar is localized (though days are just one letter so one cannot distinguish them) and how the events dates are still in English.

Thanks for your help!

Alejandro

• factoriac
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

…and abusing a bit of the forum :wink: I have another small question re translation

I’ve translated the whole po file into catalan. Upload the mo file into languages folder. Every expression is translated except the tab name i.e. Calendar (code l. 160: $this->name = __(‘Calendar’, ‘groupcalendar’:wink::wink:

Would you know why?

Thanks!

Alejandro

• factoriac
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Aaron.

Yes, I scanned it a couple of times. If you confirm it should be translated, I’d try to see what’s the problem on my side.

Also, if I want to put more than one letter on the day columns of the plugin event calendars – the one of the previous screen capture (now there are all Ds) -, where should I go on the code? I had a look but I don’t find it.

Thanks.

Alejandro

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.