Languges Don't Show up on my Multisite Signup Page!


I have a multisite, and i want to allow user to choose a language at the sign up.

I have followed the instructions on:

1) I have downloaded the languages pack
2) Created a new "languages" folder on my hard drive
3) Added all the .mo files to the languages folder
4) Uploaded that languages folder to my site's public-hml/wp-content

I have also installed the "Select Language at Signup" Plugin.

I can see all the languages available under my network settings (screenshot#1 attached)
But on my multisite signup page, it shows only English and Arabic options. (screenshot#2 attached). It was showing only English before i switched my site to Arabic to test how it will look like.

As shown on screenshot#1, all languages are available but only 2 are installed!.

So How to install the other languages?

Appreciate your help,
Andrew Rezk

  • Vinod Dalvi

    Hi Andrew,

    I hope you are well today and thanks for posting on the forum.

    The following "Select Language at Signup" plugin only works on multisite.

    Are you sure you are using WordPress multisite on your site which you have mentioned in your post as it's displaying WordPress single site for me?

    Also it seems the registration is not enabled on your site therefore i couldn't test the issue on the site.

    Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some troubleshooting? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

    Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

  • Vinod Dalvi

    Hi Andrew,

    Thank you for your reply.

    I have tested it on my test site and it worked fine for me.

    The difference i saw between your configurations and mine is in the site language drop down for me all the custom added languages files are displaying in the installed section of this drop down field but for you in this section only two languages are displaying that are English and Arabic.

    I think this may be the languages directory and its containing files permission issue. Please make sure it has proper file permissions.

    Would you mind if I access your site using FTP and did some troubleshooting? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just send log in info through our secured contact form:
    - Choose "I have a different question"
    - Include my name in the subject "Vinod Dalvi"
    - Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue better
    - Include FTP Details

    Vinod Dalvi

  • GeekMaster

    Hello Vinod,

    Thanks much for your reply and willing to help.

    I got all the languages to show up fine on my signup page, but the problem i'm having now is that there are some weird named languages appearing in the dropdown list like: BB, ck, bu (attached screenshot)

    I'm trying to remove these languages by removing their corresponding .mo files from the "languages" folder using Ftp, however i don't know which files to delete since the .mo files have different names. (attached screenshot)

  • Ash

    Hello @Andrew Rezk

    I hope you are well today.

    We don't have any control on that. We just provide the language files. The names that existed in the source, then it takes the language names if not then it takes the file name (language code).

    The problem is, we can't include the language name in the file name, it must be the language code.

    You can try deleting some language file though like for "bb" etc.

    Also, if you think you want to provide only certain language supports, then you can keep the language code for those languages only and delete all other files.

    Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.


Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.