Large download product file is randomly truncated to random size, but sometimes not.

The original file is a 616MB video. When it’s downloaded it will sometimes work flawlessly but other times it only downloads a portion of the file, sometimes as low as 100MB. The incomplete downloaded files will play but only to the extent of which they were downloaded.

Any idea what’s causing this inconsistency and how to correct it?

PHP info for this server can be seen here: http://mightygrip.tv/phpinfo.php

This is an extension of this problem, which has been resolved:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/why-does-my-marketpress-product-download-timeout#post-302471

• ryrypunk
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

AH-HA! Thank you. This is just the resource that I’ve been looking for.

The problem is happening on various computers and I have not tried any mobile devices, yet.

The .tmp files that are being created in /wp-content/ also reflect the inconsistency.

I’m going to work through this guide and will get back to you.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Can you please create a php file and put the following in there:

<?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

Then upload it to your site, and load it through your browser.

Let me know what values for the following:

max_execution_time – The max amount of time your server allows to process.

max_file_uploads – The max size for uploading

memory_limit – PHP memory you use

post_max_size – Posting i.e. uploading

Keep in mind that when processing a download in MarketPress it masks the download and so processes it through PHP. With that in mind if you had a 600mb file then you’ll need to process that through php and so you need to have appropriate allocation in those settings and the enough time to do it.

Take care.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Looks like you have quite high settings there.

Can you drop this:

phpinfo.php

Into a sub directory, any, it doesn’t matter. Then load it again. I’ve seen before where changes were not recursive so it’s worth checking.

Can you also make a dummy product which is free but with a large download, then give me a link so I can also test to ensure it’s not some weird connection issues. You might also like to check with your host to ensure there is nothing which could prematurely cut a connection.

How are you currently uploading the files, is there no timeout issue there? Or is it FTP?

I see you’re running suPHP as well, I’m wondering if that is playing a part in this. Have you spoken with your host about this issue, I just wonder if they can see something from their site.

Take care.

• ryrypunk
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

phpinfo.php file has been moved to http://mightygrip.tv/wp-content/phpinfo.php

I’ve created a free product download that is about the same size (610MB). You can access the store here:

https://mightygrip.tv/wp-login.php

username: wpmudev

password: Ltm$xGlTF*0

The free download product is here: https://mightygrip.tv/store/products/pole-show-la-2012/

The files are currently being uploaded via FTP.

I have not spoken with my host (Dreamhost) about this, yet.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

So I tested and I downloaded the whole file. Nice video by the way, I had to explain to the wife why I was watching it though. ha ha.

Anyway, I tested twice and it was fine for me.

The longest period of waiting was for the download to start, maybe for people on slower connections this is where there is some timeout issue between them and your server,this is perhaps where the download then fails for them.

I'm on a 100mb fibre optic connection so it downloads pretty quick for me.

What connection are you or your members on when this times out/fails?

You thought about compressing them in a zip? Or could they be optimised further?

Take care.

• ryrypunk
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Great. Thanks for testing it. I’ll have run more tests from various computers and connections. I’m very happy that it worked for you.

Sometime yesterday I switched the php mode from FastCGI to CGI and am wondering now if that solved the problem.

If anyone else reading this wants to download the free product, go ahead. I’ll leave the wpmudev account open for the day.

• ryrypunk
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

After a few successful transfers, it happened again. The free download that I created finished with only 454MB of the 610MB file. This time the .tmp file does not reflect the size difference, it’s 610MB. No php errors were logged.

In another test, I noticed that the download says it completed when I logged out of WordPress, although it only downloaded a small bit of the file. When I tried to recreate this on another computer, it waited until the download is actually complete before logging out, which is better but still not ideal.

I’ll contact Dreamhost tomorrow and keep you all posted.

Since I’d like to get this tested as much as possible and people like free pole dance videos (no nudity) I will leave the wpmudev account active until further notice. I don’t know how open this forum is but don’t really care since more is better in this case.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Anyone can see this one, it appears in Google. But only Members can post.

I’ll see if I can get @mason and @tom to also give the download a quick test to see if they have issues downloading.

It does seem like some kind of time out issue here…

Anyway, let me know what Bluehost have to say. :slight_smile:

Take care and have a great weekend.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

We hope you were able to resolve this. Since this thread has been inactive for some time I am going to go ahead and close the ticket. If you were unable to resolve it or have any further questions, please feel free to re-open the ticket – we are more than happy to help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.