Large images re-appearing

Somewhere Between Smush and Marketpress, I am getting a problem of large images being re-created after deleting them. they are names 1024x1024 - which at one time I had large images set for that, but have changed the largest image size in the network to 600x900. After I did that on ALL SITES in the network, I went through and methodically deleted ALL 1024 images from updloads in both the dated folders and the sites folders. So, when I was done, I checked to see if my hummingbird score improved, and it said the images were still there. So I looked, and the images that are marketpress product images, are re-created in the current date's folders at 1024. They arent even 1025 px when i upload them. I can't find a setting anywhere that would be causing this.

I have ALSO, gone to each site, re-created thumbnails of every image, making sure only the 3 sizes we're using are checked in doing so. And THEN, re-checked each site with smush, having added the max image size as 600x900, and enabling super-smush, then re-smushing everything...then RE-DELETING all the 1024 images...which then after mere minutes, re-appear.

And I know that's not a cache echo or anything, because I am deleting them via FTP.

Any suggestions on how to once and for all kill the larger images that it seems like Marketpress is responsible for, because it is only product images that are re-creating.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello AIPman1,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Could you please go to the "Store Settings -> Presentation" page in your site's dashboard and double-check image sizes that are set in "Product List/Grid Settings" and "Product Page Settings"?

Let me know please how they are/were set and in case any of these sizes matched those images in question - if changing this helped.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello AIPman1!

Thanks for the feedback. The MarketPress plugin shouldn't actually "upscale" images so I just wanted you to check this to make sure that there's no conflict/unexpected interference with other plugin. This part (MarketPress settings) is not a case then.

I used a support access that you granted and took a look around the site but I must admit I'm not sure where too look for. There's over 25 sites in the network and I checked a couple of them but I didn't notice any images larger than 600x900. I'm sure I just missed something obvious so could you please point me to an example (or a couple of them) of sub-sites and images where I could see it?

Best regards,
    Adam

• AIPman1

Yeah, that's exactly the point, they arent showing up even when you go look at one in the media interface. Let's take a case in point. I deleted, repeatedly, https://indyfestusa.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/11/DSP-IM96a-1024x1024.jpg - that's in the magazine site, #4, but if you go in that site and look at DSP-IM96a in the media interface, there is in the smush stats:
    4 images reduced by 280.9 KB ( 57.1% )
    Image Size: 93.6 KB
    Smush stats [-]
    Image size Savings
    FULL 276.6 KB ( 74.7% )
    LARGE
    (600x900) 3.2 KB ( 3.3% )
    MEDIUM
    (300x300) 1.2 KB ( 5.8% )
    THUMBNAIL
    (150x150) 118.0 B ( 2.1% )

the original actual file that was uploaded was 498x914 - nowhere does it say in media that there is a 1024 file...but hummingbird finds them when checking the site, and I can go in with FTP and find them, delete them...and they keep getting re-created, I do not know what could be or is doing that.

Only images that are inside the products are getting those 1024 size files created...not that that has to be the reason they are getting created, I don't know for sure WHERE they are coming from.

I have tried re-creating all thumbnails, then re-smushing everything, but nothing seems to stop the files from returning, and only in the current month's folder in the uploads files structure...they stay gone from all the older folders when i got rid of them, and are now created in the /2016/11 folder ...in sites that have products.

it's confounding and I don't find anyone anywhere in searching that seems to have had this problem. I was just trying to get my hummingbird score up! lol.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi AIPman1,

I had a look at your site and noticed some "strange" things there.

First image reported in HB test is this one:
    https://mag.indyfestusa.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/10/DSP-IM98.jpeg
    If you add image size to that image name and change URL to this:
    https://mag.indyfestusa.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/10/DSP-IM98-1024x1024.jpeg

It will actually load 404 page because that thumbnail doesn't exist.

However if you go to this URL:
    https://indyfestusa.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/11/DSP-IM98-1024x1024.jpeg
    It will load that image normally but that image size is not actually 1024x1024, its size is 589x900 which is the size of largest thumbnail on your site.
    If you try removing image size from the name it will then again go to 404 page, which suggests that there's no original of that image, the image itself is the original one, based on this behaviour.

I would suggest performing plugin conflict test to see if any of those are creating this odd image.

HB however doesn't mention that mysterious image, since it's probably not used anywhere, it actually reports the first image as I mentioned at start of this comment.
    HB is showing that the image is larger than its actual holder and that's something google doesn't like.

Your image holder inside products is 278x425 while actual image size is 589x900 and that's most likely the cause here.

Image holder also adjusts to your current theme so you can either make it bigger and take more of place on your page, I wouldn't suggest this since image is large and will take up entire screen.
    Or you can go to Store Settings > Presentation and either use one of smaller thumbnails or enter a custom value to use.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• AIPman1

I actually think there is a simpler thing going on here than all that. I noticed something when looking around things. The AJAX Thumbnail Rebuild plugin, when you view it's admin page, shows images sizes that are not set in the Media interface...and ALL sizes are checked by default, even if you uncheck sizes you dont use, run it, and then go back to the page, the checks are back. What if that, since it's the only thing I can think of that actually CREATES new images outside uploading them, is checking in the background and that is why it recreates image sizes even if you dont want it to?

I am going to delete that plugin, and see if the image re-creation stops. I read through the Smush info, but I do not see specifically if smush does what the thumbnail rebuilder does. For now, I can live with none.

Now, my BIG question is actually...how do I get rid of image sizes that are not actually in use or set in the media. This is the list on the ajax thumbnail page (which will be gone if you go look ):

Select which thumbnails you want to rebuild:

Toggle all
    thumbnail (150x150 )
    medium (300x300 )
    medium_large (768x0 )
    large (600x900 )
    post-thumbnail (624x9999 )

as you can see, there are a medium large and post-thumbnail listed with numbers that no one would set or use. Any idea where they may have come from or how to remove them? I looked in the database, and the only image sizes i could find easily were the sizes set in the media interface, there arent entries of other thumbnail sizes.

Anyway, I will report back after a bit after I delete all the bad images again, and disable the thumbnail rebuilder to see if that is the culprit. i would think if I can find what is setting those bad, unused file sizes, it would be a good thing no matter if that is the culprit or not.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello AIPMan1!

That's a nice finding!

I downloaded this plugin and checked it and although I wasn't able to get the same results as you I noticed that it's behaving quite unexpectedly. For example, the images sizes are unexpected just like on your setup.

I took a quick look at plugins code and although I didn't analyze it in details I think it's returning them wrong in some cases. If it finds an info on image size width but no height it's returning 9999 size which is probably caused by an error value being returned by intval() function.

The bottom line is, the plugin doesn't seem to be compatible with current WP/PHP at all so getting rid of it would be a good idea. Hopefully this would solve the issue but even if not, I hope it would at least remove one important interfering issue from the equation, making it easier to further investigate.

Let us know please what happens on the site after you removed the plugin.

Best regards,
    Adam

• AIPman1

Well, it's official, the 1024 size images, are STILL being recreated after getting rid of the thumbnail plugin.

I can deal with the use of the large 600x900 image in the setting of the products later, I do not think that is the reason that images the size of 1024x1024 are being created. Not understanding why marketpress would have a container that was the size you say, and not tell us at the point of setting it, not to set the image size from the provided drop down larger than that container size. Doesnt that just set EVERYONE up to have problems with images as far as search engines are concerned?

where, exactly is this image holder setting, or is there none it just exists?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, check it out, I found the culprit. It's Marketpress Mojo. I deactivated that, deleted the images again, then waited, and they did not come back. Then I turned it back on, and they started creating again.

I will email Nathan and point him to this thread and see if he can provide a fix. I will assume others might be having this issue and not even know it.

• AIPman1

I can trace the image creation to AT LEAST the Mojo's Product Carousel Widget, I can delete the images...refresh a couple times the ftp view, they are not there, then go load a page that has that carousel widget, and check the ftp and boom, the images from the products displayed in that widget appear instantly.

There has to be other parts of Mojo that are also creating those images, because Other products that are not set to appear in the carousel get created as well, slower, over time. Probably as either people view stuff or crawlers hit the pages.

I hope there is a solution to this, I really want to keep using Mojo.

• Dimitris

Hey there AIPman1,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in!

I read through the Smush info, but I do not see specifically if smush does what the thumbnail rebuilder does. For now, I can live with none.

Smush doesn't provide any thumbnail recreation, only decrease image's filesizes for the initial file and for thumbnails already created.

how do I get rid of image sizes that are not actually in use or set in the media. This is the list on the ajax thumbnail page

For that, you can use the remove_image_size() function. So if you want to remove the "post-thumbnail" size you should use something like the following snippet in functions.php file of your child theme or inside a MU plugin.

add_action('init', 'remove_image_sizes');
    function remove_image_sizes() {
    	remove_image_size('post-thumbnail');
    }

Reference: https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/remove_image_size

Ok, check it out, I found the culprit. It's Marketpress Mojo. I deactivated that, deleted the images again, then waited, and they did not come back. Then I turned it back on, and they started creating again. I will email Nathan and point him to this thread and see if he can provide a fix. I will assume others might be having this issue and not even know it.

I'm glad that we finally narrowed this down. Please inform us about any feedback you get from theme author. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• AIPman1

Well I wish I could report something positive, but...Nathan from Marketpress Mojo wrote back to me saying his software is not the problem, yours is, and send me a refund and told me he doesn't want me as a customer anymore.

I don't really know what to say about that, I would think that someone who is trying to build a business by making stuff that is supposed to work with another company's stuff, that they would be concerned that their product was doing something it's not supposed to. I don't know if he actually read this thread or if he will, but I am just sad, because his work SEEMS like good stuff and provided things I wanted. I am likely going to have to go to Woocommerce to get all the functions I want in my site. I wish Marketpress was a bit more developed on it's own.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi AIPman1,

Oh wow, I must say that response is unexpected :slight_frown:

I did some extensive tests with MP Mojo on my site but no matter what I try I didn't end up with recreated images.

It doesn't seem like the issue is related to MP and MP Mojo, it looks like there's something specific on your installation that in combination with these two plugins caused this strange behaviour.

Have you tried disabling everything except MP and MP Mojo and switching to default theme to see if same thing happens after that?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• AIPman1

well, it actually isn't going to matter if I do all that work to figure it out. because the guy refunded my $$ and refuses to have me as a customer, I cannot build a site moving forward with his software, because I will run into no updates when needed in the future. I will have to look elsewhere for the features I need, and since the large images wont come back without mojo active, whatever else could be doing the deed in conjunction, wont be an issue unless something else starts triggering it. I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

Thank you to the people who posted in this thread to help out. It would have been a BETTER outcome if Nathan had not over-reacted so defensively, and addressed the issue with us, but, such is life. No way to run a business that relies on other people's software (marketpress) in my opinion, but I'll look at this as an opportunity to do something different for my solutions. WPMU supports use of Woocommerce, so while I will have to do some thing differently than planned with the shopping cart, at least I know WPMU is here for me. You guys rock.

• AIPman1

Predrag, if you are still curious, did you set up a page with the product carousel widget, load that page, then check for images that werent there before? just saying, that, specifically, is what triggered the image creation for me, when I loaded the page with that on it. I can leave the page unloaded after deleting the images...sit and wait and nothing new comes on no matter how many times i check, then when i load that page, and check for images, boom they are there. Anyway, don't do it just for me, cause I'm not going to be able to use a solution even if it's found because of Nathan. But if you feel it might help others in the future, there you go.

• Dimitris

Hey there AIPman1,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in!

Those latest news were indeed the worst case scenario, but as Predrag wasn't able to replicate this issue, it may still lies somewhere else in your installation. So a full theme/plugin conflict test may reveal another source. Here you can find a nice flow chart that may help you conduct this test in case this still continues. https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Either way, our Upfront theme currently supports WooCommerce and an upcoming release will also support MarketPress so you may want to try this out.

Take care,
    Dimitris

• AIPman1

As it doesnt happen without mojo on, I won't be able to test further, I have to concentrate on the choices I need to make for my shopping cart, and only deal with this if it actually becomes a problem without mojo installed. i dont have time to test, fix, THEN get rid of the mojo and make changes. At this point, i have to make major choices for how I want to develop things for my network. not fix what I can't use...even if PART of it might be still in there, it doesnt happen without mojo, so I am done till something else makes such images appear that I can test.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi AIPman1,

To respond to this part:

Predrag, if you are still curious, did you set up a page with the product carousel widget, load that
    page, then check for images that werent there before?

I saw your previous comment where you mentioned that the image was created when page with carousel widget is refreshed so I did that as well.
    I created page with that widget and then tried removing original image, since that's the one used inside lightbox, and thumbnail image that's being used within the slider itself, none of those got re-created for me and that's why I believe there's something specific on your installation causing this behaviour :slight_frown:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.